Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 AM

67 posts, read 190,703 times

Advertisements

Greetings My family is contemplating a move from MD to Sarasota. Would anyone who has moved from the NE to Sarasota share their approximate moving costs or offer any suggestions? I talked to a family who moved from Jacksonville to our area and they told me it cost them about $15,000. Ouch! Our last move was only 5 miles We currently live in a 4 bedroom house. Thanks for any help you can offer us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
It really depends on how you plan to move. You didn't share any details. The cost could be as little at $1,000 for a service such as ABF Freight (they drop a trailer, you load, they deliver to the new location, you unload), up to as much as $7 or 8,000 for a full-service packing and moving service.
One bit of advice: PURGE before you move! So many people come down here with every single item they've accumulated over 30+ years. There are no basements, so people cram all this stuff in their garages so they can't even park a vehicle in them. Getting rid of unneeded/unused/unneccessary stuff will save lots of money on moving, and also save tons of space in the new house. We actually paid for our entire move from MI by selling unneccessary belongings prior to moving. You really have to think... is that 8 yr old sofa really worth $xxx it will cost to move it, or would it be better to sell it on craigslist, and buy another one when you get here. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the response. Good suggestions. Our current house is much larger than what we will be buying so I will be selling all kinds of stuff!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 AM

41 posts, read 62,783 times
If you go to wheatonworldwide.com (Wheaton van lines moving company), there's an option for getting a ballpark figure on line. You just enter the zip code of where you are and where you're going, the # of rooms, etc and you get a rough estimate. No annoying phone calls, etc.
I wound up not going with that company for my upcoming move but it's a starting point.
Also google reviews of moving companies-a good site is movingscam.com, which lists moving companies by state with reviews by users and there's a community forum with a lot of helpful info. Bottom line, do your homework and don't necessarily go with the cheapest--horror stories abound of people's household goods being held hostage after the price was jacked up after the move, etc.
Good luck!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
thats a journey Big House has (and still does) done

Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
thats a journey Big House has (and still does) done
We live in MD and down here. We haven't attempted yet to put our house on the market up there. We do plan on selling off a lot of our stuff rather than try to move it down here though. So I concur with the logic that Harbor Hopper posted.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,507 times
We moved MUCH of a 4-BR house in Baltimore to Sarasota, but we were very happy to have jettisoned a bunch of the heavier stuff. These days, it is NOT hard to sell stuff on CraigsList, really.

Long distance movers are not that expensive. They'll come get the stuff, and they'll meet you here in three or four days or whatever. They go by the pound. I don't think we paid more than $2K.

Infinitely better than trying to do it all yourself, at a cost of a possible herniated disc, and a massive headache.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 AM

477 posts, read 987,331 times
We went from a 5 bedroom, 4 car garage with full PACKED basement in Ohio, to a 4 bedroom with no basement here and a 2 car garage. We sold/gave away SO much (bil is still selling things for us) and we still overpacked. Our garage is half full of boxes I can't even get to since we have no room for it. I actually love having nothing extra lying around. We have just what we need. I will eventually go through each box one at a time to see what I need to keep, otherwise it will be gone, too.

Anyway, we went through a local mover that we had used before, and they subbed it out to a national company. We paid around $5000. We were quoted higher but after the weigh-in, the cost dropped. We boxed up everything except for the flat screens, mirrors and such. They packed those securely for us.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:41 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
We moved MUCH of a 4-BR house in Baltimore to Sarasota, but we were very happy to have jettisoned a bunch of the heavier stuff. These days, it is NOT hard to sell stuff on CraigsList, really.

Long distance movers are not that expensive. They'll come get the stuff, and they'll meet you here in three or four days or whatever. They go by the pound. I don't think we paid more than $2K.

Infinitely better than trying to do it all yourself, at a cost of a possible herniated disc, and a massive headache.
Who did you use? We will probably move some stuff down, but plan on selling or giving away a lot of things, and maybe storing a few things as well.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Thanks for all your feedback, I can't wait to get out of Maryland, no offense to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area