Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:10 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
That's pretty funny! I have the early 90's puffy hair in my photo and I was on the way to work, when I worked at the Sheriff's dept. So I have my uniform on in my pic as well. Probably would have gotten all "dolled up" if I knew I was gonna hold onto it for the next 20 yrs. Hahaha.

I'm guessing the time between license renewal has recently changed. Just like the new law requiring all the various documents to be brought in upon renewal.
Well, I hope Answer Bag is wrong. It says if you're over 80 it's only for 6 years. Under 80 is 8 years. I'm getting a few wrinkles, but I certainly don't look 80. Maybe someone at the DMV made a mistake.

It now costs $25 just for a change of address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
Just what we said when it was all totaled up! I did get one special license plate (which was $ 50.00 extra) but even minus that it's outrageous. Clerk said fees were raised by (former) Gov. Christ. Since we're new to FL, we're just learning about state and local politics so I can't vouch for the correctness of that information.
I'm not sure when it was enacted, but there is an "initial registration fee" of $225 per vehicle the first time it is registered in FL (It appears that this is for new cars purchased here as well).

On top of that you can expect an $85 title fee, $45 + for the tag fee, $30 for the new steel plate, and $49 for the drivers license.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/DHSMVFees.htm

If you purchase the vehicle in another state and bring it here within 6 months you'll also be responsible for 6% sales tax, although you'll get credit for any sales tax paid in another state.

When we moved here 20 years ago they had an "impact fee" that cost about $230 per car brought in from out of state. That fee was overturned years ago, and the state had to reimburse people for the money that they collected.

Last edited by Skunk Workz; 10-02-2010 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Corrected URL

Old 10-02-2010, 10:00 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,023 times
Yes. And one of the fees varies depending upon the weight of the vehicle.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:10 PM

11 posts, read 32,136 times
Default car registration

And if you havent figured it out yet, the car registration expires on your birthday so if you register i September and your birthday is in January like mine you have to pay for a full year but only get 4-5 months for the money

Old 10-03-2010, 02:31 AM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
However, if you have had a tag previously in Fl on your car, you can use it and by-pass all the new fees. We bought our car right before we left FL 3 years ao and when we came back they allowed us to use the old FL tag and it only came to about $78. Now $78 is no small change (though before I left I was paying $45) however, we came from AZ and when the guy at the DMV told me it would be $540 for one year for 1 vehicle I about fell out.

The only thing that shoudl give you comfort is knwoing that atleast you don't live in CA!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 AM

83 posts, read 178,880 times
No state income tax right? Theyll figure out other ways to get your money. How about not allowing people to have drivers licsenses without proof of insurance(show me at least 3 years of payments) and youll get your tags and registration.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:51 PM

477 posts, read 987,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I'm not sure when it was enacted, but there is an "initial registration fee" of $225 per vehicle the first time it is registered in FL (It appears that this is for new cars purchased here as well).

On top of that you can expect an $85 title fee, $45 + for the tag fee, $30 for the new steel plate, and $49 for the drivers license.

DHSMV: Motorist Services Fees

If you purchase the vehicle in another state and bring it here within 6 months you'll also be responsible for 6% sales tax, although you'll get credit for any sales tax paid in another state.

When we moved here 20 years ago they had an "impact fee" that cost about $230 per car brought in from out of state. That fee was overturned years ago, and the state had to reimburse people for the money that they collected.
Our fees were $450. And to transfer is around $250.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:03 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
it seems they make some big cash on motor vehicle and new house impact fees. if thats the only places they really stick it to the resident we are ok. unlike where left before we moved down here they stick it to you whenever they can. we are paying 3K in taxes compared to 14K. our car insurance is 1200 vs 4500. its easy to forget what it could be.

the fossils driving though, scare the crap out of me. there was an "older" woman a guy was holding up taking the eye test and i dont think she even knew where she was, and she passed. why would anyone put a family member out on the road like that unless there was a big will in the picture.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:43 PM

5 posts, read 11,088 times
Yeah I was floored when I had to register my vehicle and get a FL license a couple months ago when I moved here. I paid over $500 for a '95 Chevy Blazer without a specialty plate. And yes it's crazy that FL lets so many people drive that have no business behind the wheel. That's probably my only gripe so far since I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area