Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 PM

383 posts, read 1,023,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Head south on 75, then cross alligator alley, then 595 east to either the turnpike or 95, then north to Boca Raton. There' s as good as it gets in fla in Mission Bay.
Hey didnt you get a place somewhere near Dearborn ,and if you did you gotta check out Bobarinos
(on Dearborn)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 06:47 AM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
Had decent pizza last night. multiple NY & NJ transplants recommended Ricos. Multiple FL natives recommended Il Panificio. I read reviews online and chose Ricos. Both had good reviews but in the end it was the description of the dough at Il Panificio that sent me to Ricos. Sounded more like a very thin foccaccia crust and I was trying to find a normal NY slice for the kids to have some normalcy. Also I was interested in having an Eggplant Parm Hero and Il P. had a "Hot Eggplant Sub" listed below the "Hot Chicken Parm Sub" so it didn't sound like I'd get what i was expecting to get.

Walking into Ricos I was slightly confused and i couldn't figure out my disorientation at first. I kept trying to walk up to the counter to order but they have paper menus on the table and the plan is to sit down and order. Ok, I'm flexible. THen they offer like 6 different pizza sizes. Seriously folks, do Floridians have that many pizza size needs? In NY we pretty much have 1 size (maybe 2 but not 6 wtf lol) Anyway... DH said I looked confused. He said maybe it's because there weren't any Italians working there lol It's true, I am from a very Italian area on Long Island so i am used to Pizzerias being Italian, hearing alot of Italian spoken behind the counter etc.

Anyway the 'za... it was good. Not the best pizza I ever had but not every pizza i had in NY was the best pizza ever. Rico's pizza was what we expect in a slice of pizza and have been looking for, kids were happy. It reminded us of the pizza place that was up the block from us in NY that wasn't the best place but we got it regularly anyway. Hopefully there IS better pizza here but I can be content with Rico's and deal with the 7 mile drive (grumble grumble)

BTW - i totally confused the girl there. I tried to order selzer. they "didn't have it". I spotted the little button on the soda fountain and she got me some soda water. I'll learn eventually. LOL then i asked about the eggplant parm hero and we eventually figured out this was a Sub. I am not going to get used to that one either lol So i tried the eggplant appetizer. I think it was deep fried, not what I expected at all and still... tasty lol

Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 AM

just want to add that i will try Il Panificio in the future too. I've heard lots of good. The place was packed last night. Ricos was not full of eat-in customers but had a steady stream of pick-up orders and deliveries going out the door. I spoke to the owner who said he is from NYC and has been here since the 80s. He said he gets everything from NY, I didn't ask about the water!

Old 10-23-2010, 01:23 PM

110 posts, read 994,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
Had decent pizza last night. multiple NY & NJ transplants recommended Ricos. Multiple FL natives recommended Il Panificio. I read reviews online and chose Ricos. Both had good reviews but in the end it was the description of the dough at Il Panificio that sent me to Ricos. Sounded more like a very thin foccaccia crust and I was trying to find a normal NY slice for the kids to have some normalcy. Also I was interested in having an Eggplant Parm Hero and Il P. had a "Hot Eggplant Sub" listed below the "Hot Chicken Parm Sub" so it didn't sound like I'd get what i was expecting to get.

Walking into Ricos I was slightly confused and i couldn't figure out my disorientation at first. I kept trying to walk up to the counter to order but they have paper menus on the table and the plan is to sit down and order. Ok, I'm flexible. THen they offer like 6 different pizza sizes. Seriously folks, do Floridians have that many pizza size needs? In NY we pretty much have 1 size (maybe 2 but not 6 wtf lol) Anyway... DH said I looked confused. He said maybe it's because there weren't any Italians working there lol It's true, I am from a very Italian area on Long Island so i am used to Pizzerias being Italian, hearing alot of Italian spoken behind the counter etc.

Anyway the 'za... it was good. Not the best pizza I ever had but not every pizza i had in NY was the best pizza ever. Rico's pizza was what we expect in a slice of pizza and have been looking for, kids were happy. It reminded us of the pizza place that was up the block from us in NY that wasn't the best place but we got it regularly anyway. Hopefully there IS better pizza here but I can be content with Rico's and deal with the 7 mile drive (grumble grumble)

BTW - i totally confused the girl there. I tried to order selzer. they "didn't have it". I spotted the little button on the soda fountain and she got me some soda water. I'll learn eventually. LOL then i asked about the eggplant parm hero and we eventually figured out this was a Sub. I am not going to get used to that one either lol So i tried the eggplant appetizer. I think it was deep fried, not what I expected at all and still... tasty lol

Thanks for the review. I did a quick google search and there appears to be two different businesses in sarasota called Rico's pizza. Two different web sites. Which one did you go to? I've also heard good things about panificio, I'll be curious to know your thoughts.

This thread is evil, every time I open it I start craving pizza!

Last edited by Robert321; 10-23-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert321 View Post
Thanks for the review. I did a quick google search and there appears to be two different businesses in sarasota called Rico's pizza. Two different web sites. Which one did you go to? I've also heard good things about panificio, I'll be curious to know your thoughts.

This thread is evil, every time I open it I start craving pizza!
didn't realize that. it's on gateway ave, same street as Il Panificio.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
The original Il Panificio is on Main St. Went in there one sunday night, and walked out. Didn't like the way the pizza looked.

LOL about the Seltzer! We have that problem alot. They want to give you Club Soda, thinkngi it is the same thing. NOT!!!!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Broadway Bar. Was in there the other night & had a really good Reuben. People next to me orderd a pizza & that looked & smelled good, and they said it was good.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:18 PM

16 posts, read 57,979 times
Default there is good

I grew up in NJ (not Jersey) just outside NYC. Rico's and Valentino's are just as good as you will get in NYC. B*S* on the "water" issue. Talk to any of the owners of the two and you will learn about pizza instead of just judging on reviews. Good luck and eeting

Old 11-08-2010, 03:32 PM

110 posts, read 994,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
didn't realize that. it's on gateway ave, same street as Il Panificio.
Rico's Pizzeria, Sarasota, FL - TripAdvisor

I looked at some reviews for Rico's Pizzeria and it was a mixed bag. Some people were complaining about service. I'll probably still give it a try, but I hope the pizza makes up for any poor service.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert321 View Post
Rico's Pizzeria, Sarasota, FL - TripAdvisor

I looked at some reviews for Rico's Pizzeria and it was a mixed bag. Some people were complaining about service. I'll probably still give it a try, but I hope the pizza makes up for any poor service.
i think it's because you have a mix of people reviewing it. i tried a different Rico's on Bee Ridge & 41 and it was good enough pizza but it wasn't NY service and the girl was flustered lol Being from NY i don't need a friendly, chatty server just someone extremely competent and quick. Forget service with a smile, just shake a leg and get it right!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
I do like service with a smile. But not as a substitute for quality & efficiency.

JoAnna - still waiting for the invite for you homemade pizza! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area