Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:22 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
None of you could possibly have spent much time on NE beaches. Even in the summer, the water is cold.

Here, the water is almost always right for swimming, assuming you don't need it to be actually WARM. In fact, I think I might just go ahead and head down that way today, as it is only six minutes' drive.

Yay.
If you ever swam in the finger lakes you know that only the top couple inches will reach 65 degrees in the warmest parts of the summer. Below the top few inches the water temperature is closer to 55 degrees.

Big Jim and the twins used to be nicknamed "Tiny Tim" after the singer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 AM

477 posts, read 987,331 times
Quote:
None of you could possibly have spent much time on NE beaches. Even in the summer, the water is cold.

Here, the water is almost always right for swimming, assuming you don't need it to be actually WARM. In fact, I think I might just go ahead and head down that way today, as it is only six minutes' drive.

Yay.
I was just thinking the same thing!!! NE Beaches are cold in the summer. SoCal beaches are freezing in August! The water at Siesta Key was great for me on Friday..

Old 10-24-2010, 10:16 AM

425 posts, read 1,104,956 times
Default NE Beaches

yup, colder than a witches t--, have been going to Hampton Beach,in N.H. all my life and I can count on one hand the times ive really gone in the water. now if you build a tide pool and stick your feet in while sitting in a beach chair,i can handle that.
At Christmas time we will be in the heated pool down there(IN FLORIDA) at a nice 86 degrees----- Can anyone say AHHHHHHHHHH

Old 10-24-2010, 12:47 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,507 times
I just got home from hitting a million golf balls at Evie's.

I have to sign off now, because my pool outside my office window is beckoning me. I can barely wait.

OK bye.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:20 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Big jim and the twins???? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!! :d

Old 10-26-2010, 04:32 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times
Quote:
I just got home from hitting a million golf balls at Evie's.

I have to sign off now, because my pool outside my office window is beckoning me. I can barely wait.

OK bye.

You hit golf balls 5 minutes from my office !! How is that range over there ? And yes, I am from New Hampshire, my mother has a cottage on Hampton beach that my grandfather built. Spent every summer there as a kid and we went swimming in that 63 degree water in July !! Down here if it is not at least 80 it just feels freezing lol.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
You hit golf balls 5 minutes from my office !! How is that range over there ? And yes, I am from New Hampshire, my mother has a cottage on Hampton beach that my grandfather built. Spent every summer there as a kid and we went swimming in that 63 degree water in July !! Down here if it is not at least 80 it just feels freezing lol.
The range is decent, except for some reason they just relegated the grass tee area to a ten yard long stretch way down in the corner (when they used to have fully half the range prepped fro grass tees).

As for the water temperature, I used to go clamming in Naragansett Bay, so believe me, I know cold. The Gulf feels like a warm sauna most of the year compared to that.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:43 AM

462 posts, read 1,707,391 times
just an update, the temp in the Gulf here today is 78

Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
just an update, the temp in the Gulf here today is 78
If a person cannot get into 78 degree water, they probably ought to stick to heated pools and sauna/hot tub/spas.

I mean, a swim should be refreshing, no?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
If a person cannot get into 78 degree water, they probably ought to stick to heated pools and sauna/hot tub/spas.

I mean, a swim should be refreshing, no?
It's all in what you're used to...Been down here 20 years....cold when regular temp drops below 70 go figure...and I'm from up north...ya won't see me in the gulf in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area