U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2010, 05:25 PM
 
420 posts, read 526,091 times
Reputation: 189

Advertisements

Last year we were scrambling for a restaurant in Sarasota on New Year's Eve. This year we'd like to be on top of it. Can anyone suggest restaurants open on Xmas day and for New Years Eve? Does anything special happen in Sarasota on New Year's Eve? Fireworks? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2010, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Tampa
110 posts, read 334,068 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Last year we were scrambling for a restaurant in Sarasota on New Year's Eve. This year we'd like to be on top of it. Can anyone suggest restaurants open on Xmas day and for New Years Eve? Does anything special happen in Sarasota on New Year's Eve? Fireworks? Thanks

The annual pineapple drop in downtown sarasota, sort of like a mini times square. Plenty of restaurants and bars open during that, with about 4 stages set up in the streets with live bands, various vendors and events starting at noon. Pretty fun place to be to welcome in the new year with tons of people. There are a bunch of videos on youtube of it you can search for.

Don't know about Christmas though, I've never eaten out on Xmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Ohio/Sarasota
820 posts, read 1,234,477 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Last year we were scrambling for a restaurant in Sarasota on New Year's Eve. This year we'd like to be on top of it. Can anyone suggest restaurants open on Xmas day and for New Years Eve? Does anything special happen in Sarasota on New Year's Eve? Fireworks? Thanks

We have been to Turtles on Siesta Key for Christmas dinner before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Charlotte county, Florida
3,137 posts, read 2,450,909 times
Reputation: 9299
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Last year we were scrambling for a restaurant in Sarasota on New Year's Eve. This year we'd like to be on top of it. Can anyone suggest restaurants open on Xmas day and for New Years Eve? Does anything special happen in Sarasota on New Year's Eve? Fireworks? Thanks
Having been in the restaurant business I honestly have to tell you, people that eat out on major holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving Make a bunch of people that have familys Miss Dinner with their loved ones because they have stand all day in a hot sweaty kitchen and serve food to people who they could give two Sh*ts about. They resent it, the mood for the most part in those kitches is not happy or festive. Sorry but Restaurants, liquor stores,Walgreens,CVS,
Circle K and 7-11 should be closed on Christmas at least.. If you needed batterys for jr's new Ipod you should have thought of that the day before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Ohio/Sarasota
820 posts, read 1,234,477 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Having been in the restaurant business I honestly have to tell you, people that eat out on major holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving Make a bunch of people that have familys Miss Dinner with their loved ones because they have stand all day in a hot sweaty kitchen and serve food to people who they could give two Sh*ts about. They resent it, the mood for the most part in those kitches is not happy or festive. Sorry but Restaurants, liquor stores,Walgreens,CVS,
Circle K and 7-11 should be closed on Christmas at least.. If you needed batterys for jr's new Ipod you should have thought of that the day before.

Maybe we can pass a law. Because, you know, we do not have enough already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Charlotte county, Florida
3,137 posts, read 2,450,909 times
Reputation: 9299
It's not about Laws, it's about the consideration for a fellow human being and having one day of rest out of busy, hectic, gotta have my cell phone in my ear every second of every day life..a day of peace.
This is only my opinion on the matter thats all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Ohio/Sarasota
820 posts, read 1,234,477 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
It's not about Laws, it's about the consideration for a fellow human being and having one day of rest out of busy, hectic, gotta have my cell phone in my ear every second of every day life..a day of peace.
This is only my opinion on the matter thats all.

What about the person who is not Christian or has no family and wants to make money for working on Christmas? To some people it's not a day of peace, it's just another day. I've had to work on many holidays, although not Christmas. If it was that important to me, I guess I would find another job. You gotta do what you gotta do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Charlotte county, Florida
3,137 posts, read 2,450,909 times
Reputation: 9299
I very much see the points you are making and being unemployed right now believe me as much as I'd hate the idea of doing it, I would GLADLY work on Christmas day this year if offered. However I wouldnt like the idea, wouldnt want to after I got back on my feet and wont change my opinion on the fact that certin things should remain closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Ohio/Sarasota
820 posts, read 1,234,477 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I very much see the points you are making and being unemployed right now believe me as much as I'd hate the idea of doing it, I would GLADLY work on Christmas day this year if offered. However I wouldnt like the idea, wouldnt want to after I got back on my feet and wont change my opinion on the fact that certin things should remain closed.

I remember when I was little and nothing was open from 6PM Christmas Eve through Christmas day. No gas stations, no grocery stores, nothing. I think as our country has gone to a service based economy, this is what happens. Americans do not work at GM or Frigidaire any longer. They work at Walmart and McDonald's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 08:20 PM
 
420 posts, read 526,091 times
Reputation: 189
As a non Christian, I worked many Christmases as a nurse so others could be with their families. However, without family in Fl and on vacation, I'd like to find a place on the holidays to eat out.I don't mean to sound insensitive. Up North, some restaurants close early to accomadate their staffs' families. New Year's eve is another story as far as I'm concerned- don't people celebrate down here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top