Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times

Advertisements

Here's a random thought about a "job". I spent most of my career self-employed with spouse. We were modestly successful, paid the bills, etc. We could afford not to work for everyone who called us after we figured out that some people were just more trouble than their money. When you are self-employed with many customers you can let one or two go and have a great business becuase they are one of many.

When you have a job and a boss you have only one REAL customer and that is your employer. He/she is the one you have to please and if they aren't happy with you you get fired/layed off, whatever.
Unless you have some kind of "lock" (tenure, union rules, son of the boss) you don't have much security that you will continue keeping that job. More like inertia than security.

Don't know if this makes sense but it's what I've come to believe.
As self-employed we didn't get a pension, paid for our own health insurance, no paid vacations, no benefits EXCEPT knowing we had a job that paid money and we couldn't ever lose it. Divorce would be the only exception or total economic meltdown in the area.

Think about a sideline self-employment while you apply for a job from the man. Become self-sufficient in as many ways as possible. Times are tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:12 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Here's a random thought about a "job". I spent most of my career self-employed with spouse. We were modestly successful, paid the bills, etc. We could afford not to work for everyone who called us after we figured out that some people were just more trouble than their money. When you are self-employed with many customers you can let one or two go and have a great business becuase they are one of many.

When you have a job and a boss you have only one REAL customer and that is your employer. He/she is the one you have to please and if they aren't happy with you you get fired/layed off, whatever.
Unless you have some kind of "lock" (tenure, union rules, son of the boss) you don't have much security that you will continue keeping that job. More like inertia than security.

Don't know if this makes sense but it's what I've come to believe.
As self-employed we didn't get a pension, paid for our own health insurance, no paid vacations, no benefits EXCEPT knowing we had a job that paid money and we couldn't ever lose it. Divorce would be the only exception or total economic meltdown in the area.

Think about a sideline self-employment while you apply for a job from the man. Become self-sufficient in as many ways as possible. Times are tough.
So true! And excellent advice!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:35 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Yea I never planned on doing it anyhow lol.

Something has always interested me about you man.

I am from MA as you are, you probably lived in FL maybe even Sarasota area.. and now your in Oregon. Its almost like my path could be like yours.

Yes I am from Mass originally and have lived a short time in the Tampa area never in Sarasota. I do live in Portland, Or.

Just make sure your path includes employment when you make your moves as mine has. I would never have been in Florida or Oregon if it had not been due to employment reasons. I retired young from the Federal Gov't during a downsizing, and had already been hired by the airlines before I retired. I was based in Tampa for a short time and then Boston due to family reasons. Could not get full time in Boston and after the death of my parents, I decided on a full time assignment and Portland was hiring. Took the job here. The airline filed bankruptcy and then merged and I decided I had enough. I now just work a part time job.

So Im considerably older than you and as far as path. Im not sure you would want my path, but its been a learning experience for me. Some things I would not change, and some has not been fun at all. But thats life.

I like my Irish name and wouldn't want any other name. Its never kept me from employment as far as I know. Certainly not in Boston of these recent times, but it would have in my parents and Grandparents time. Funny how Boston ended up becoming such a stronghold for the Irish and so many of its politicians. Definitely the Irish name Kennedy didn't keep that family from gaining employment and such power in Mass or the world.

If someone doesn't hire someone because of thier last name, would one really want to work for people like that to begin with. I don't think so.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:54 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes I am from Mass originally and have lived a short time in the Tampa area never in Sarasota. I do live in Portland, Or.

Just make sure your path includes employment when you make your moves as mine has. I would never have been in Florida or Oregon if it had not been due to employment reasons. I retired young from the Federal Gov't during a downsizing, and had already been hired by the airlines before I retired. I was based in Tampa for a short time and then Boston due to family reasons. Could not get full time in Boston and after the death of my parents, I decided on a full time assignment and Portland was hiring. Took the job here. The airline filed bankruptcy and then merged and I decided I had enough. I now just work a part time job.

So Im considerably older than you and as far as path. Im not sure you would want my path, but its been a learning experience for me. Some things I would not change, and some has not been fun at all. But thats life.

I like my Irish name and wouldn't want any other name. Its never kept me from employment as far as I know. Certainly not in Boston of these recent times, but it would have in my parents and Grandparents time. Funny how Boston ended up becoming such a stronghold for the Irish and so many of its politicians. Definitely the Irish name Kennedy didn't keep that family from gaining employment and such power in Mass or the world.

If someone doesn't hire someone because of thier last name, would one really want to work for people like that to begin with. I don't think so.

You had quite a path. Don't know how to respond to it all.

Well my mind changes. I throw out possible ideas why I might not be getting hired places. I see advice saying that if you apply for lots of different positions, it could disqualify you instead of picking one since it could make you look desperate otherwise.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:43 AM

782 posts, read 1,086,663 times
I think that these days people consider the Italians, French, Irish, etc as all 'white people' - even the biggots do, I suppose. It's been 80 or so years since signs have been posted in windows like; "Irish need not apply".

I think today, most of the prejudice is against older applicants due to higher insurance costs and the general belief that they won't hold up to today's super fast-pace work environment. It's all very unfortunate.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 AM

265 posts, read 534,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
If you live around us and your name ends in ski, grab the Stoli sit down and relax. You got the job lol.
What about Brodsky?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 PM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
I think that these days people consider the Italians, French, Irish, etc as all 'white people' - even the biggots do, I suppose. It's been 80 or so years since signs have been posted in windows like; "Irish need not apply".
interestingly...some of my italian and greek family do not consider themselves white!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:30 PM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
I know it is possible and I know it happens. And the previous poster who said ti would be hard to prove is absolutely right. We havecome so far when it comes to civil rights and racism/sexism/heterosexism in this country. But one of the difficulties is that as we become more tolerant and discrimination becomes less accepted, it also becomes more covert. In the 1940's someone would tell you to your face that they would not hire you because you were Black/female/Hispanic. Now they just pass you over, and the burden of proof is placed ont he victim.

That said, DocotrRain, I think your best bet is to do what my father always told me to do "Learn the game, play the game....to change the game". Meaning you need to figure out what it is employers are looking for and give them no reason to pass you by. If that means dressing in a suit for an interview, do it. Eventually you will prevail and then you will become the person to pave the way for those behind you.

On a side note, I will say as a relative newbie to Sarasota (lived here 2 years) I do find this city to be a lot less diverse and segregated then I think even residents believe it to be. I don't know if it has to do with the amount of older generation residents. But I do see it changing and moving forward and it givesme hope.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I am not sure how it is in Florida, but here in coastal California, you almost have to be bi-lingual to work in retail . There is no use even applying for a job otherwise.
Good luck all of you. I know it can be hard.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
What about Brodsky?
A ski by another name! Come in, sit down and enjoy some Stoli

Im kind of in a heavy Polish town here. But if you go to South Buffalo you will be in a heavy Irish area. And I can picture some of them that I know if they ever saw a sign in the window that said Irish need not apply I think they would go in drag the person outsside and beat the hell out them and hand them their sign politely lol.
We do have a lot of areas all around Buffalo that are ethnic based. And I think we have everyone covered too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area