Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:26 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,388,643 times

Advertisements

I think discrimination is widespread in alot of southern states but as lovepalms says you will never be able to prove it..
Heres my situation, the last job I held at a Pizzaria was for 6 years as a Kitchen manager.
The company announced they will no longer be paying for or offering group health plans so
with no insurance I started looking for another job and found one. I put in my 2 weeks notice
and the owner came to me asking me what he needed to do to get me to stay.. I said insurance
and was told to go find private insurance and he'd reimburse me.. Well that lasted 3 months.
I went to the Keys on vacation and when I returned I found out I was no longer employed.
Well this was almost 2 years ago and I have yet to find gainfull employment anywhere.
I was forced to move out of my apartment and live at my Grandparents and my savings has been paying my car insurance and such for that time. NOW I have a huge 2 year gap in employment history have been on a few interviews and Nothing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 02:34 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,822,323 times
Discrimination comes in all different forms. The person doing the hiring has a lifetime of stereotypes in their mind. Maybe "he" doesn't like you because you resemble an ex-inlaw (or spouse, even worse), maybe you seem like a threat if you have more education or are taller or thinner or seem smarter (take their job?).

The person doing the hiring wants the job filled with a good worker but also someone who fits their personal agenda too.

So to answer the OP: sure your last name could affect employment.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:38 PM

4,892 posts, read 14,092,089 times
Interesting post...I never even gave my last name a thought while unemployed earlier this year...

Old 11-15-2010, 06:03 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,057,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaptrex View Post
c'mon! were all in the same position... I'm a young white professional with a BAA who doesn't get call-backs for minimum wage jobs! Currently working at Publix haha.

Even if its not about a stupid last name, its just bad that it got this way. You with all this education, in debt, and can't even get jobs to help pay the debt off. In the old days, this was unheard of. I can see why the grandparents generation are negative about these times, I truly can.
Baby boomers did help mess it up.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
It has happened but I don't know if it still goes on in this country. I wouldn't be suprised if it does. In the Northeast some decades ago it was very common to see signs in windows, and adds in the paper that read. Irish need not apply. My parents told me that some Irish, would try to change their last name to a neutral type name to find work.

So, do you suggest I do this?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Discrimination comes in all different forms. The person doing the hiring has a lifetime of stereotypes in their mind. Maybe "he" doesn't like you because you resemble an ex-inlaw (or spouse, even worse), maybe you seem like a threat if you have more education or are taller or thinner or seem smarter (take their job?).

The person doing the hiring wants the job filled with a good worker but also someone who fits their personal agenda too.

So to answer the OP: sure your last name could affect employment.

Well heres the thing, many places I didn't even get an interview for. How would they know my height or what I looked like if they never even met me.

The last interview I had, I just know I wasnt picked. From my impression, it seemed possibly like a "fake nice" element with the 2 managers interviewing me acting more nice, but really not wanting me.

Sadly, this is an employers market where they can reject you for any old reason. Many are lined up to work, they can pick really come to think about it and that can be dangerous unlike some time ago where they hired pretty much anyone who wanted to work. True stereotypes seem to come out when the economy is strictly the employers pick due to a bad economy. They can pick and choose more for sure.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM

[quote=Caligula1;16648586]I think discrimination is widespread in alot of southern states but as lovepalms says you will never be able to prove it..
Heres my situation, the last job I held at a Pizzaria was for 6 years as a Kitchen manager.
The company announced they will no longer be paying for or offering group health plans so
with no insurance I started looking for another job and found one. I put in my 2 weeks notice
and the owner came to me asking me what he needed to do to get me to stay.. I said insurance
and was told to go find private insurance and he'd reimburse me.. Well that lasted 3 months.
I went to the Keys on vacation and when I returned I found out I was no longer employed.
Well this was almost 2 years ago and I have yet to find gainfull employment anywhere.
I was forced to move out of my apartment and live at my Grandparents and my savings has been paying my car insurance and such for that time. NOW I have a huge 2 year gap in employment history have been on a few interviews and Nothing...[/quote]

That really sucks. I bet you feel like you are the only one within this general area too since it seems like most people are really working, or at least they seem to be wherever I look to socialize. Seems I rarely meet anyone truly down and out. Most I've talked to have their own apartments and work and it sucks. I can never meet anyone dependant. I think it would help the time go by as well. US wide I can find them for sure, but for Sarasota area, seems the minority with people my age, stuck living at home, on SSI and kinda poor.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:01 PM

9,501 posts, read 16,397,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
So, do you suggest I do this?

No no name changing.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
No no name changing.

Yea I never planned on doing it anyhow lol.

Something has always interested me about you man.

I am from MA as you are, you probably lived in FL maybe even Sarasota area.. and now your in Oregon. Its almost like my path could be like yours.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:49 AM

352 posts, read 998,642 times
I think a guy with the last name Hitler didn't get hired at a Jewish bookstore or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area