Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:49 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
Our movers who moved us down here told me stories about Alligator Alley....Where exactly is it and how can I avoid it?

One time I heard someone talking about driving through it but guess what, never gonna be me. It sounds like a HORRIBLE place. Someone even told me how it makes Myakka city look like NYC. Must be pretty damn bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 08:41 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
Our movers who moved us down here told me stories about Alligator Alley....Where exactly is it and how can I avoid it?
It's I-75 from Naples to Ft Lauderdale. It's not that bad, just a long straight chunk of freeway with swamp on both sides.

Now if you want to see back woods (or swamp as it were) take 41 (Tamiami Trail) to Miami.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:01 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
One time I heard someone talking about driving through it but guess what, never gonna be me. It sounds like a HORRIBLE place. Someone even told me how it makes Myakka city look like NYC. Must be pretty damn bad.

It's just a stretch of I-75 from Naples. No problems at all. I've driven across it countless times from Bonita Springs. To go to Fort Lauderdale you want to take the I-595 exit. Just make sure you have plenty of gas and money for tolls.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:48 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,017 times
Yes, Genesee beer is upstate NY. I'm from wine country LI

Old 11-14-2010, 07:44 AM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
It's not a bad drive or an area I would avoid.It's a well traveled, LE patrolled, great way to cross the state. There is a Reservation / gas station / convenience store along the way. It's a good place to stretch the legs.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:04 AM

110 posts, read 994,978 times
I have to laugh at some of the negative misconceptions on here regarding alligator alley. Where do you people get this stuff??

I've made the trip back and forth across the alley dozens of times (daytime and evening, weekdays and weekends). There is only one exit on the alley that has a gas station, but there are also full service public rest areas, as well as some rest areas with informational kiosks about the everglades. Personally I think it's a really easy, stress-free drive across there. The traffic is never bad, speed traps are difficult to set up due to law enforcement having very little places to "hide", and you can even catch glimpses of some wildlife on the other side of the fence/canal. (Gators, birds, etc.).

Old 11-14-2010, 09:16 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
I havent driven across the alley in about 10 years.. I remember it being a 2 lane road where people drive like lunitics.. I have never had a problem, I think they have since made the road into 4 lanes.
I dont remember there being any service type stops along the way except the occasional boat ramps. I-75 in naples used to have a sign saying last stop for gas before tolls. Things change so i'm not sure what it's like now, but dont sweat it and look for gators sunning themselves along the way.. you should see plenty now that the colder weather is upon us.. Give yourelf about four hours to be totally comfortable and you will be able to obey posted speeds and still have a little time to spare.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:06 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
not sure about this time of the year but i would have some mosquito spray in case of a flat tire. other than that fill up the tank and go for it. there is cell phone service the entire way. plenty of other traffic.

i would rather ride my bike across allegator alley than fly up to the cess pool that jfk sits in the middle of.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Beerme1...another thing we have in common. Love the NY wineries (live not far from them).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
How about Genesee beer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
maybe upstate :P (which starts at the Tappan Zee Bridge IMO)
Sara I'm up around Buffalo but we do love our winery from down your way. If we end up moving to Sarasota we will still be on their mailing list.

Dr. Rain I don't think the downstaters appreciate the swill that is Genny beer!

jnanner another wise ass comment that I love.

And in regards to Alligator Alley there is no reason to worry about it. It is merely like a country hiwghway for two hours.
Just make sure you have a full tank of gas, your tires are properly inflated, the freeon in your a/c is not leaking and two very important things, never ever get out of the car for any reason because a vulture will pick away at you and a gator will take whats left and never ever answer your phone.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 AM

425 posts, read 1,105,048 times
Default we will be driving that the 27th

we are going on a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, and we are leaving from North Port
have to close our place up and then drive over, should take about 3 hrs.
We will be dropping a rental car off at the airport and then grabbing a cab to the pier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area