Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:10 PM

477 posts, read 987,072 times

Advertisements

I thought I would start posting on here daily as I do on Facebook....you guys do want to hear all of my daily musings, right? Hahaha...Just kidding...

Anyway, DS14 just got braces on Friday and I wanted to share since I know there are many new families rolling in to Sarasota all the time. Freeman Orthodontics is AWESOME! Love them! Go there....Also, for a Pediatric dentist, we have chosen Dr. McAninch based on referrals. I have only heard wonderful things and can't wait to see for myself. Just need to find a dentist for dh and I.

Maybe it's a newbie thing but I purchased annual passes to Disney and we broke them in last weekend. Coming from Ohio where you have to dream from far away and count down the days while saving to buy 6 airline tickets, 6 day park hopper passes, hotel room onsite and blah, blah, blah...
I'm so excited!!! The difference in cost is crazy for residents/annual! Love it, love it! We stayed at POFQ for less than 1/2 the normal rate. Ate and drank our way around the world at Epcot's Food and Wine Festival. The kids were so proud that I FINALLY went on Tower of Terror! I can't believe it's such a close drive! I'm planning our mini-trips back already. And I'll be going by myself to go Christmas shopping for the day...

Ok, I think I'm done for now. And yes, I do need to make some friends here! haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 PM

51 posts, read 167,714 times
Thanks for posting! My family and I will be arriving in Bradenton on Tuesday! I have a 1 & 3 year old, so any referrals relating to the kids is great. I try to check in on this board when I can. Are you in Sarasota?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:06 PM

How exciting! You will love it here. Yes, we are in Sarasota. Moved here in July. This is the place to go to ask about anything! Welcome

Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
Maybe it's a newbie thing but I purchased annual passes to Disney and we broke them in last weekend. Coming from Ohio where you have to dream from far away and count down the days while saving to buy 6 airline tickets, 6 day park hopper passes, hotel room onsite and blah, blah, blah...
I'm so excited!!! The difference in cost is crazy for residents/annual! Love it, love it! We stayed at POFQ for less than 1/2 the normal rate. Ate and drank our way around the world at Epcot's Food and Wine Festival. The kids were so proud that I FINALLY went on Tower of Terror! I can't believe it's such a close drive! I'm planning our mini-trips back already. And I'll be going by myself to go Christmas shopping for the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
I'm so excited!!! The difference in cost is crazy for residents/annual! Love it, love it! We stayed at POFQ for less than 1/2 the normal rate. Ate and dranuk our way around the world at Epcot's Food and Wine Festival. The kids were so proud that I FINALLY went on Tower of Terror! I can't believe it's such a close drive! I'm planning our mini-trips back already. And I'll be going by myself to go Christmas shopping for the day...
I don't think it's a newbie thing, after 20 years it's one of the few things we will miss when we leave.

We generally rotate parks every couple of years. You can also get some really good deals on offsite hotels in the area for quick budget weekends too.

Universal is even cheaper (something like $130 each), and Seaworld / Busch Gardens usually has a "Pay for one day get the rest of the year free" deal sometime during the year.

Before it closed Cypress Gardens was fun too. It was a small park with a lot of carnival rides and very short lines. LegoLand bought it and it's supposed to reopen next year.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:11 AM

Oooooo....our kids will love a Legoland.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:31 AM

809 posts, read 1,180,837 times
I do miss those perks. We lived on the east coast for 7 years while my kids were toddlers-elem school. We were 1 hour 15 minutes door to door from Disney. Day trips were wonderful. My husband and I would go for an overnight ourselves and leave kids with mom and dad. We would do the Polynesian Luau or something more adult, (forget the name of the place where you have to be 21 or older). I think back then there was a comedy club. Anyway, it is a great perk. We also loved the water parks in the summer.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:41 AM

440 posts, read 1,052,427 times
How long a drive is it to Disney? What roads do you use? Also have you checked out the site mousesavers.com. We got great tips on specials for hotels, rentals, Disney discounts. Can't wait to take advantage of Florida residency rates once we get down there permanently

Old 11-14-2010, 08:08 AM

It took us about an hour and 40 minutes. Very easy drive, 75N to I4, then you're there! I love mousesavers.com. They post all of the discount codes for residents/passholders. You can get good deals on off-property hotels through them, too. I also go on passporter.com. Oh, and I downloaded a great app on my iphone WDW Lines. It gives the wait times for all of the rides and fastpass return times. It's a great time saver since you know where to run to get a fastpass and where you can just get in a regular line. It also gives the crowd levels for each park, which ones are the least crowded for that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
How long a drive is it to Disney? What roads do you use? Also have you checked out the site mousesavers.com. We got great tips on specials for hotels, rentals, Disney discounts. Can't wait to take advantage of Florida residency rates once we get down there permanently

Old 11-14-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
I do miss those perks. We lived on the east coast for 7 years while my kids were toddlers-elem school. We were 1 hour 15 minutes door to door from Disney. Day trips were wonderful. My husband and I would go for an overnight ourselves and leave kids with mom and dad. We would do the Polynesian Luau or something more adult, (forget the name of the place where you have to be 21 or older). I think back then there was a comedy club. Anyway, it is a great perk. We also loved the water parks in the summer.
Looking forward to going with dh when his parents come to visit. It will be nice to try a more "adult" restaurant at WDW for once.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:16 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,037 times
Heres a hint for savings on parking if you are staying at an offsite hotel.. Park at one of their resorts.. We used the All Star Sports resort parking and took their tram to the parks.. I Did have a friend from NY staying there but we were never asked to display anything in the window of the car or anything.. Just a thought every penny counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area