Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 AM

879 posts, read 1,946,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen and Jim View Post
Oh, jnanner, you crack me up! I LOVE that you think you'll come off as a crazy New Yorker forever! I wonder if I will be looked at that way also! Do you know that the last time I was down for a visit one of my cousins mentioned that she was surprised that I could stand wearing black slacks? Hahaha! Everyone IS super friendly, though, aren't they? I love the whole area where we're going to move eventually! My daughter, who already lives there, says that she'd NEVER move back to New York! My poor grandson, (20), who can't seem to find a job, though, thinks he might HAVE to move back to get some work, even though he likes it down there very much. Anyway.....keep up your sense of humor, jnanner......we love it!
It really is very nice here but i'm glad it's not just me lol It is a big adjustment though and lately I have been having daydreams about retiring to Brooklyn when I grow up :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,330,207 times
If we go out to a decent restaurant or whatever, sure, we will dress the part. We always have.

That said, otherwise, I always thought part of the point of living here was that it is not a big fashion show. I'm not saying I stumble around like the Unabomber, but I definitely don't feel like I have to shave every day or wear a jacket or anything.

I propose calling it Common Sense Comfortable.

Apparently, I am a phrasemaker.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 PM

810 posts, read 1,572,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
If you look back at older threads in the Sarasota area forum (as I have) you will find that many of the members in this forum like to gang up on posters that are seen as portraying the area in a way that's too negative. The absance of "negitive" posters here is a glaring giveaway or "tell" to anyone familiar with forums in general. Maybe you sensed this when you asked your question.

IMO, what you are reading on here (for the most part) is just a chamber of commerce type of sales pitch by the older members here, who are desperately trying to stabilize their declining property values by attracting new buyers to the area.

I'm not referring to the new residents, of course, who are all excited and just having fun exploring their new home and sharing advice with each other.
Excellent post

There are posters here who gang up against other members who don't have a rosy picture of Sarasota. All kinds of attacks are thrown to get these posters defensive and eventually banned or bored with their confrontational tactics. A type of bullying that you only see in Middle schools. I've been a victim myself, I was told I was a "know it all" and these posters had inside conversation about me and posters like me. Why did I do to deserve those attacks? Just quote the amount of seniors Sarasota has, with links from reliable sources.

it's no secret either that the Sarasota board several realtors that post on a regular basis. They make Sarasota look like heaven on earth.

I say pay a visit to the area and draw your own conclusions. Don't trust anyone who can take any criticism or have such unbalanced opinions about a subject. Nothing's ever simply black and white.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:25 PM

615 posts, read 1,672,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynesWife View Post
I wasn't really sure how to word the title of this post.
My question is-
Do you think the personalities of the posters in these forums reflects the personalities of the area?

The reason I'm asking..My family doesn't want to live in Pennsylvania anymore. We know for sure that we want to relocate to a warmer state. We have 3 areas in mind.

I've been checking out the other forums and some of the posters just seem so mean and unwelcoming. I haven't posted a lot on this board, but it seems like everyone is more than willing to give info, help with this or that, just generally friendly.

Anyway, just something I noticed and I was curious if anyone else thought the same thing. If the people representing an area aren't kind to newcomers, I don't want to move there! TIA

^^^I don't think we can assume that all the personality types are reflective of any given city/state. Although, I have read a lot of bashing on us "Northerners/New Yorkers". There also appears to be some animosity between those on the SE of Florida and other areas here. I don't know why this is the case, but most message boards will have a hodge podge of good/bad. I tend to ignore the negativity and gravitate to those that are welcoming and provide helpful tips/information (or just use the search feature).

There have been a handful that have welcomed me, and have been kind to respond to any inquiries I have posed on Sarasota (not a welcoming feeling when one starts a thread, and there are "TONS" of views/1 or 2 takes the time to respond). To those, I genuinely thank you (you know who you are)!

P.S. I must say that there is a plethora of information on this site, and it has been a great help for me/others!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,837,121 times
Interesting to read everyones opinions. I'm here because a few years ago a client of mine told me about the board. I answered a few questions and people kept asking more questions and I kept answering and well...here we are.

I was born and raised in the area and have lived from Bradenton to Port Charlotte and everywhere in between. I've fished the waters, gone to the schools and am raising my girls here. So, I suppose I know a fair amount about the area.

Over the years I've made some pretty good friends on this board and met some really interesting people.

Seems like most of the people on this board are pretty straight up and helpful. Often times on message boards you find people who just want to complain. Maybe their husband or wife gets sick of hearing them complain so they do it on the board. Not sure.

On the Chamber of Commercey thought. If you read down the board many of the posts are about food. Maybe the Sarasotans like to eat alot. I see pizza, Pineapples, good restaurants for Xmas, then just good restaurants. Then you have the general help questions-help with grass, help finding a cleaning lady, help find a plumber or handyman, help finding a cheerleading team, help selling on Craigslist, help with Alligator Alley, etc. I think this board is mostly a bunch of helpful chatter. At least that's how I see it.

I would say that this board is pretty typical of the area. Mostly nice, helpful, happy people with a few unhappy miserable people mixed in.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 11-15-2010 at 04:34 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,837,121 times
I'm kind of confused here. I didn't recognize your screen name as posting in the Sarasota forum before. So I looked at your previous posts and this is your first post here. So, I'm trying to figure out how you could be attacked on the Sarasota board if this is your first post on the Sarasota area board. Are you getting the Sarasota board mixed up with another???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Excellent post

There are posters here who gang up against other members who don't have a rosy picture of Sarasota. All kinds of attacks are thrown to get these posters defensive and eventually banned or bored with their confrontational tactics. A type of bullying that you only see in Middle schools. I've been a victim myself, I was told I was a "know it all" and these posters had inside conversation about me and posters like me. Why did I do to deserve those attacks? Just quote the amount of seniors Sarasota has, with links from reliable sources.

it's no secret either that the Sarasota board several realtors that post on a regular basis. They make Sarasota look like heaven on earth.

I say pay a visit to the area and draw your own conclusions. Don't trust anyone who can take any criticism or have such unbalanced opinions about a subject. Nothing's ever simply black and white.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:35 PM

547 posts, read 921,958 times
People are people. Go to a happy place and most will be. Go somewhere depressing ( I had to go to Social Security for a new card) where people demand social services, in my case food stamps, and it won't be so happy. We pretty much live by the golden rule and find Sarasota a great place to live.
There are a few places we like to visit, but we choose to live here.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM

169 posts, read 394,996 times
I have to say,most of the people I have met here are very friendly. I think a lot of it has to do with many people are from the north and anxious to make new friends and feel part of their community.

In the north people have lived there a long time for the most part and have their familes and friends and not looking to put down new roots.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,910,108 times
People are people no matter where you go...

People giving you the finger after they almost run over you backing out of their parking space at Walmart.
or
People who find a lost dog and decide to walk it around the neighborhood until its owner shows up to claim it.

The only thing different here is eye contact. As opposed to big cities, not making eye contact here is down right rude.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,388,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
People are people no matter where you go...

People giving you the finger after they almost run over you backing out of their parking space at Walmart.
or
People who find a lost dog and decide to walk it around the neighborhood until its owner shows up to claim it.

The only thing different here is eye contact. As opposed to big cities, not making eye contact here is down right rude.
I agree, I have met alot of really great people since moving to SW Florida and I have met my fair share or Dumba**es.
For the most part I still believe that most people will treat you like you treat them. Of course in every neighborhood your going to have the nosey neighbor, the slob, and the ones that let their dog poop all over your lawn. No place is going to be close to perfect. This area has alot going for it, good art school and schools, nice museum, fairs, lots of stuff for senior's to do..Excellent beaches, much more then I can list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area