Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,354 times

Advertisements

NorthPort Jim, it's obvious you made your ID to chase SOFLGal around and try to discredit/harass her. The only time you ever post is when it's in reference to something negative or you're trying to harass her. It's obvious you and the previous poster Tommy are one-in-the-same. Your name (Tommy) hasn't been brought up in month's and then when it is brought up you mysteriously show up. It's obvious you're now grasping at straws and getting desperate. It's obvious you need to get a life!

Old 11-27-2010, 09:59 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,221,646 times
This thread actually started out asking for negative comments, so why is it that when someone posts something negative they get jumped on. That's probablly one of the biggest problems i have down here. There just seems to be a awful lot of people who can't seem to mind their own business. If you don't want to read negative things, dont read a thread that askes for them. That's pretty simple.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:10 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,827,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
This thread actually started out asking for negative comments, so why is it that when someone posts something negative they get jumped on. That's probablly one of the biggest problems i have down here. There just seems to be a awful lot of people who can't seem to mind their own business. If you don't want to read negative things, dont read a thread that askes for them. That's pretty simple.
The thread was fine when we were talking about the area. Now it's shifted to people and things have run off the tracks. Seems as though threads like these can never stay on topic.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:12 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,328,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Because an invitation to point out the negatives does not justify accusing people on this board of being less than honest or somehow too blind in their turtle cage to see what should be so obvious to them. Such an implication--whether confrontational or just condescending--DOES invite a response.

I mean, if the thread asks for the negatives people see, and someone jumps in and comments that they really hate all the neo-Nazis and hordes of zombies on motorcycles, I suppose someone will jump in to rebut the post.

Unless, of course, there is a sudden increase in skinhead rallies or, uh, undead motorcycle gangs.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:28 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,496,470 times
Folks, please keep on topic, which is "Negatives of the area".
Discuss issues, not people. Be respectful.

Frank

Old 11-28-2010, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 8,782 times
Do not get me wrong , I love snakes .There is Pythons in Southwest Florida the size of telephone poles .Seen with my own eyes on the outskirts of North Port Florida . I thought that it was a tree laying across the road , when I turned around it was gone . With all the wild pigs we have here ,Pythons will survive and grow .
The one thing that I hate in Florida is the Snowbirds . They come from all different states and they are all different nationalities . Just think about this for a second .People from Maine drive like maniacs They drive so slow that a turtle could pass them . New York people are another breed all together .Do not get in there way . People from Michigan are really dangerous . If it starts to rain ,they slow down to 30 miles an hour under the speed limit ,making it an accident looking for a place to happen . Do not get me wrong some of these people are okay but the mishmash of people being jammed onto a highway or road at the same time with all there different habits is not good . I do not think that there is not one day that goes by without at least a dozen accidents in Sarasota county and that is, just one county. The other thing about Snowbirds is .When they come back to Florida all the prices go up and you can not find a seat in a restaurant or a spot on a beach . I am one happy camper when they all go back up North in the summer . Prices come down and the beaches open up and you can go to any restaurant and not have to fight for a seat. As far as the heat goes in the summer , you just have to let your body get use to it .I used to cut grass on a Golf Course and we would start out at 6:00am and finish by 2:00pm . I would not even think about the heat .But if you are in a house with the air conditioner going and the expect to go outside at 12: noon and think that you are going to get used to it , your crazy as a bed bug. Trust me, there is bad and good things no matter where you live . You just have to get used to them. Oops , I forgot one other thing . If you do any shopping for food in a store make sure that you put all your flour and baking stuff ,cereal and any grain products in Zip-Lock bags . Because ,if you do not ,there is a little flour moths that lays eggs in the boxes in the stores ,especially around flour . All it takes is one of these little critters to get loose in your cupboards and you will have all these little tiny moths flying around in your house laying eggs in your flour and cereal boxes. They can eat holes right threw the wrappers and cereal liners .The stores try to keep them under control , but all it takes is one contaminated box ,to get into the store and they spead like wildfire . If you open a box and notice a
tiny web . You know that you have them .Good luck. One more thing . If you have a dog or cat .Laws are very strict here about them . They have to be on a leash at all times when walking them and cats can not be left outside loose . If you do let them outside loose and they do not come home .An Alligator, Bobcat, or a Panther probably had them for lunch .

Old 11-28-2010, 11:52 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,328,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnight View Post
Do not get me wrong , I love snakes .There is Pythons in Southwest Florida the size of telephone poles .Seen with my own eyes on the outskirts of North Port Florida . I thought that it was a tree laying across the road , when I turned around it was gone . With all the wild pigs we have here ,Pythons will survive and grow .
The one thing that I hate in Florida is the Snowbirds . They come from all different states and they are all different nationalities . Just think about this for a second .People from Maine drive like maniacs They drive so slow that a turtle could pass them . New York people are another breed all together .Do not get in there way . People from Michigan are really dangerous . If it starts to rain ,they slow down to 30 miles an hour under the speed limit ,making it an accident looking for a place to happen . Do not get me wrong some of these people are okay but the mishmash of people being jammed onto a highway or road at the same time with all there different habits is not good . I do not think that there is not one day that goes by without at least a dozen accidents in Sarasota county and that is, just one county. The other thing about Snowbirds is .When they come back to Florida all the prices go up and you can not find a seat in a restaurant or a spot on a beach . I am one happy camper when they all go back up North in the summer . Prices come down and the beaches open up and you can go to any restaurant and not have to fight for a seat. As far as the heat goes in the summer , you just have to let your body get use to it .I used to cut grass on a Golf Course and we would start out at 6:00am and finish by 2:00pm . I would not even think about the heat .But if you are in a house with the air conditioner going and the expect to go outside at 12: noon and think that you are going to get used to it , your crazy as a bed bug. Trust me, there is bad and good things no matter where you live . You just have to get used to them. Oops , I forgot one other thing . If you do any shopping for food in a store make sure that you put all your flour and baking stuff ,cereal and any grain products in Zip-Lock bags . Because ,if you do not ,there is a little flour moths that lays eggs in the boxes in the stores ,especially around flour . All it takes is one of these little critters to get loose in your cupboards and you will have all these little tiny moths flying around in your house laying eggs in your flour and cereal boxes. They can eat holes right threw the wrappers and cereal liners .The stores try to keep them under control , but all it takes is one contaminated box ,to get into the store and they spead like wildfire . If you open a box and notice a
tiny web . You know that you have them .Good luck. One more thing . If you have a dog or cat .Laws are very strict here about them . They have to be on a leash at all times when walking them and cats can not be left outside loose . If you do let them outside loose and they do not come home .An Alligator, Bobcat, or a Panther probably had them for lunch .
This post made me laugh for reasons too numerous to mention.

Good times here on the City Data board!

Old 11-28-2010, 12:54 PM

169 posts, read 394,794 times
So many posts on this subject,so not sure if anyone has made my comment.
Coming for the North,which I liked very much by the way,except the weather.
I have found none of my neighbors up north moved,they stayed in their homes,hardly ever saw a house up for sale unless someone had died.

Here it is true,very transient. I suppose it has to do with the housing slump and lack of jobs.Yet I have found people who come from another area to be most pleasant and anxious to make new friends.
We got to know people right away and felt since many people had left Family behind,they were more outgoing than those who had lived up north forever and ever.

Dislikes,I suppose mine would be the months June/July/August./No train system/ugh/so long to get out of this State into another!!
The lack of the Train system is a biggy for me. The lack of local parks,which are so manicured up north where we were from..

Old 11-28-2010, 03:17 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,056,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
I pulled the following quote from Retiredcoach’s well written post in the “positive thread” so I could comment on it while still abiding to Franks wishes:

The concerns Retiredcoach has about the Sarasota forum are all true as far as I’m concerned. For certain members here, it's all about selling an image to the Northerners. If they can sell the image, they can sell their properties. The whole City Data meet up thing is a good example. It sounds like there’s a big group of people here just waiting to welcome new residents, right? Well, if you go back and look at the turnout to past meet ups, the weak attendance isn’t very impressive IMO.

I think most people realize that the selling of an image is something to be expected when one is dealing with a real estate agent. It’s just that while I do think the agents are all identifying themselves here, there are also some “wolves in sheep’s clothing” that also use the forum to “sell” the SWF area so that they can sell the properties they have on the market.

To be very clear – I’m not accusing anybody of selling properties to other members here. I’m talking about the “selling” of an image or a dream to people who are unhappy up North.

Why do I feel compelled to do so? Well SoFLGal stated her theories, but the truth is that I “fell” for the dream once too. If I can help others make a decision by exposing some of the hype, I will.

I've said it all along man. I don't like others agendas that do this exact thing. Being a realist and giving an honest approach works in the long run. You can't sell me the dream of a tropical paradise anymore. I mean yes the weather is nicer in some aspects and the winter is nice in FL, however, its all a tradeoff. The things you liked up north you will soon miss like feelings of community, neighborhood restaurants that have been around for yrs or diners, respect for one another.
When I lived in PA, I thought it was ****ty believe me, but FL gave me a reality check and it even made me miss some things about PA if you can believe that. The weather is the ****ty part, but everything else is better. More individuality in the smaller towns, they are very bland here and feel even more nowhere ish. You wouldn't feel as nervous if you had a flat tire on a small town road since someone most likely would stop to check on you. Does that happen here? Never.
Just like for LeBron James, he thought Miami would be so much better, but he has to sacrifice winning and stats and he probably wishes he went to wintery cold NYC or Chicago. He would at least WIN. Thats one example and maybe in a small way, one similar to the oh in a warmer climate it will be so much better type mindset and it will feel less dead end than such and such a city up north.
People on this board seem to want to sell of a "perfect image" and if I can expose it, I will as well. I would give anything right now to be in a place up north where community is number one honestly, even if I have to live somewhere colder. It doesn't actually feel right that here in the winter, its been 75 degrees. That sounds too good to be true. Just remember, for things like this, you are sacrificing everything else good about the north.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:35 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,022,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I've said it all along man. I don't like others agendas that do this exact thing. Being a realist and giving an honest approach works in the long run. You can't sell me the dream of a tropical paradise anymore. I mean yes the weather is nicer in some aspects and the winter is nice in FL, however, its all a tradeoff. The things you liked up north you will soon miss like feelings of community, neighborhood restaurants that have been around for yrs or diners, respect for one another.
When I lived in PA, I thought it was ****ty believe me, but FL gave me a reality check and it even made me miss some things about PA if you can believe that. The weather is the ****ty part, but everything else is better. More individuality in the smaller towns, they are very bland here and feel even more nowhere ish. You wouldn't feel as nervous if you had a flat tire on a small town road since someone most likely would stop to check on you. Does that happen here? Never.
Just like for LeBron James, he thought Miami would be so much better, but he has to sacrifice winning and stats and he probably wishes he went to wintery cold NYC or Chicago. He would at least WIN. Thats one example and maybe in a small way, one similar to the oh in a warmer climate it will be so much better type mindset and it will feel less dead end than such and such a city up north.
People on this board seem to want to sell of a "perfect image" and if I can expose it, I will as well. I would give anything right now to be in a place up north where community is number one honestly, even if I have to live somewhere colder. It doesn't actually feel right that here in the winter, its been 75 degrees. That sounds too good to be true. Just remember, for things like this, you are sacrificing everything else good about the north.
Excellent post!!

It is very difficult to explain the sense of community to those who have never truly experienced it. The values of the community... where neighbors view each other as members of their extended families and go about their daily lives with compassion and watchfulness.... very tough to trade for winter sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area