Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 12:17 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been searching through lots of threads looking for information about a possible purchase of a winter home, a condo specifically.

Since we've only got three days to look on our upcoming trip, I've decided we'll concentrate on Sarasota for the first part, then move up to Dunedin/Tarpon Springs area.

We really would like to find a place that's walkable, with restaurants, cafes, bars, interesting places. I know this is very tough under $100K in Sarasota. Even if it's not right downtown, it should be a walkable neighbourhood in its own right. A quick drive to the ocean would be nice as well.

I've discovered from these boards that we should avoid the area from N Washington Blvd on the East, to N Tamiami on the west, from 3rd Ave south to Universit Pkwy on the north. Are there any other areas that we should avoid? The area north of Fruitville, but east of Washington, for example?

Any favourite neighbourhoods? I know about South Gate and Gulf Gate and Laurel Park. Price point is definitely tough there. Any other neighbourhoods are pleasantly walkable (I know, this is Florida.) Someone suggested Palmer Ranch area, but this seems very suburban to me, and distant from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 AM

5 posts, read 18,639 times
Try "Central Park" condominiums off 41 close to downtown. Amenities include community pool, tennis, fitness center.

Also, if you are considering single family homes, there are some very cute neighborhoods east of downtown that are walking distance to restaurants & shopping. Best wishes! Joanna

Old 11-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Thanks, but they look like they're out of our price range.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:08 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I'm not sure, but I really don't think you will find a condo in Sarasota for under $100,000 in the "walkable" neighborhoods like downtown. I am not sure what type condos are available around Gulf Gate, but that is an older neighbhorhood with a nice little "village" area with cute shops and cafes, etc. Safe and close to everything. That might be a good area to target.

I believe there are condos around for under $100,000, but they may not be in areas that you call "walkable" but will be convenient to things. Do be careful when looking at "cheap" condos in complexes with a lot of foreclosures, or apartment units that were converted during the boom. A good realtor can help you with this, if you post names of units you are looking at, I'm sure our own SoFLGal here on the board can tell you what's-what.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:51 PM

Yeh, I know, that's what I'm seeing and hearing too. Gulf Gate looks pretty good to me as well, but have to wait and see it to know if it would do for us. Thanks, I have a realtor looking for me as well.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:07 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I'm not sure, but I really don't think you will find a condo in Sarasota for under $100,000 in the "walkable" neighborhoods like downtown. I am not sure what type condos are available around Gulf Gate, but that is an older neighbhorhood with a nice little "village" area with cute shops and cafes, etc. Safe and close to everything. That might be a good area to target.

I believe there are condos around for under $100,000, but they may not be in areas that you call "walkable" but will be convenient to things. Do be careful when looking at "cheap" condos in complexes with a lot of foreclosures, or apartment units that were converted during the boom. A good realtor can help you with this, if you post names of units you are looking at, I'm sure our own SoFLGal here on the board can tell you what's-what.
That's pretty accurate Gypsy. Here is a list of the condos within a 3 miles radius of Main St. that are under $100k, There are 23:

Bayou House Apts
Dolphin Tower-- Fix calls for jacking up Sarasota's leaning Dolphin Tower high-rise | HeraldTribune.com
Garden Apts
Hidden Lake Village
Jefferson Club
Park Lane
Sarasota Pines

Most have "issues" like Dolphin Towers or they're built in the early 1970's or before. I think it's going to be very hard to find a place that close to downtown in your price range.

Now if I take Gypsy's idea and go to the Gulf Gate area and do a three mile radius there are 40 condos. Several of these condos were built in the 1980's or newer:

Baywood Colony Garden
Carrington Place
Gulf Gate Gardens
Imperial Place
Phillippi Harbor Club
Pinewood Village
Tregate Manor
Woodside Terrace & Woodside Village

Old 11-28-2010, 06:15 PM

Thanks, that's helpful.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:50 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Do NOT buy at Dolphin Towers!
Many people "in the know" are of the belief that it will not reopen. The cost to repair will be prohibitive.
On the other hand, I do know someone who recently purchased a penthouse unit there, thinknig that when they do tear it down, the money the owners will receive for the Land value will be more than he paid for the condo. And if in fact it does reopen, he got a real steal.
Of course, you can't even go inside to look at units right now. If ever.

I had quite the scare - the day after I closed on my Condo on the same street, I opened the Herald Tribune site online & the headline read "Gulfstream Aveneue Condo evacuated" - My first reaction was "NOOOOOO _ NOT MY CONDO!!!!!" It wasn't.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Yes thanks, I do know about that situation, but appreciate the warning. Oh boy, I can imagine how you felt!

(This will be a third home for us, for probably 3-4 months a year, so we want something pleasant, but it doesn't have to be perfect. In fact a bit funky is good. We have luxury here in Toronto, I don't expect it in Florida--my mum made out just fine wintering in Florida in a mobile home; I want something more urban than that, but doesn't have to be fancy, just safe and pleasant.)

Old 11-28-2010, 08:05 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Yes thanks, I do know about that situation, but appreciate the warning. Oh boy, I can imagine how you felt!

(This will be a third home for us, for probably 3-4 months a year, so we want something pleasant, but it doesn't have to be perfect. In fact a bit funky is good. We have luxury here in Toronto, I don't expect it in Florida--my mum made out just fine wintering in Florida in a mobile home; I want something more urban than that, but doesn't have to be fancy, just safe and pleasant.)

BTW,

LCT! :-)

Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area