Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,647 times

Advertisements

Hi Gang-

I am looking to open a small woman's fashion boutique in Sarasota. I've studied St. Armand's Circle and it seems to me that the circle receives the greatest amount of local and tourist shopper/visitors. Certainly, the rents there seem to reflect same. Unfortunately, the "right space" has not come available on St. Armand's Circle. I've spent considerable time also studying downtown Sarasota, particularly Main Street. I simply can't get a handle on the vibe there. Any opinions regarding retail shopping downtown would be greatly appreciated! I currently live in Naples and have a similar shop here. I enjoy Sarasota so much more than Naples and hope to move there as soon as I can find the right location to open my shop.

Many Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,134,446 times
there are some pretty strange stores in st armands, selling some really bizarre overpriced clothes. not a little over priced but hugely expensive. the key is not how many stores and people there are, its how many are carrying shopping bags. not often that i see many purchases except at the restaurants and kilwins.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:39 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,683,588 times
i tend to agree. lots of looksees, not many buyers at the circle...unless they get their purchases picked up by the chauffers later on.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:40 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,868,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkts1170 View Post
Hi Gang-

I am looking to open a small woman's fashion boutique in Sarasota. I've studied St. Armand's Circle and it seems to me that the circle receives the greatest amount of local and tourist shopper/visitors. Certainly, the rents there seem to reflect same. Unfortunately, the "right space" has not come available on St. Armand's Circle. I've spent considerable time also studying downtown Sarasota, particularly Main Street. I simply can't get a handle on the vibe there. Any opinions regarding retail shopping downtown would be greatly appreciated! I currently live in Naples and have a similar shop here. I enjoy Sarasota so much more than Naples and hope to move there as soon as I can find the right location to open my shop.

Many Many thanks in advance!
Funny you bring this up. A close family friend of mine and the owner of Carman's Shoes on the Circle is finally closing shop after 45 years in business. They said that the "traffic" has greatly decreased in the last several years and this was one of the main reasons for the closing (retirement and a death in the family were the other reasons) but they could have passed their store on to their sons who currently work there.

Carman’s Shoes on Circle to close - The Observer Group

They said they are selling their space and probably going to open up a small boutique on Anna Maria Island. They tell me that AMI does a much better job of promoting the areas and getting buyers to visit. So, I would suggest you investigate the AMI as well.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Posted twice for some reason.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:59 PM

17,498 posts, read 38,974,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Funny you bring this up. A close family friend of mine and the owner of Carman's Shoes on the Circle is finally closing shop after 45 years in business. They said that the "traffic" has greatly decreased in the last several years and this was one of the main reasons for the closing (retirement and a death in the family were the other reasons) but they could have passed their store on to their sons who currently work there.

Carman’s Shoes on Circle to close - The Observer Group

They said they are selling their space and probably going to open up a small boutique on Anna Maria Island. They tell me that AMI does a much better job of promoting the areas and getting buyers to visit. So, I would suggest you investigate the AMI as well.
That's a good idea. Traffic is WAY UP on AMI - I have been reading articles all year about this.

That said, I do still think St. Armand's can be a great place for a boutique, depending on what is being sold. There is always plenty of people, and it is close to downtown. As much as I love downtown, it just isn't a "retail shopping" type atmosphere, rather it is restaurants and entertainment, although Palm Ave. is a possibility, especially once the new parking garage gets built there.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:30 PM

808 posts, read 1,174,723 times
As a tourist, I have to agree. LOVE St Armands Circle, but mostly to browse and eat! If the price were right, though, I'd be more apt to possibly buy.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:42 PM

The only thing I can think of is to have a modestly priced store so you'd get more sales but then, of course, you'd have to think of what your overhead is.

Another friend of mine who owned the Cork n' Bottle on the Circle has also recently closed up shop. My point is, just make sure you do an ample amount of research.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 5,647 times
Thank you to everyone for your input. Nobody seems to be too excited about retail shopping on Main Street downtown, which is what my gut is telling me too. Despite a number of new retail openings, It appears to me that downtown Sarasota is primarily catering to evening diners, not shoppers. Is there anywhere else in Sarasota area that I should be examining? Is the Westfield Mall worth looking at? Is that mall in decline, stable, improving? Thank You!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 PM

17,498 posts, read 38,974,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkts1170 View Post
Thank you to everyone for your input. Nobody seems to be too excited about retail shopping on Main Street downtown, which is what my gut is telling me too. Despite a number of new retail openings, It appears to me that downtown Sarasota is primarily catering to evening diners, not shoppers. Is there anywhere else in Sarasota area that I should be examining? Is the Westfield Mall worth looking at? Is that mall in decline, stable, improving? Thank You!!!
You might also check out the various shopping plazas on University Parkway. This is an area that is developing rapidly and there are a LOT of shoppers there - you can find places like Total Wine, Fresh Market, Kohls and many other places that draw shoppers. The area is pretty much middle to upper class and I ALWAYS see people shopping there. I love to go shopping on University Parkway. Eventually Benderson will build their mega-mall there as well. I would say it's worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area