Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
Thank you both, that's very helpful and confirms much of what I've learned so far.

I suppose as far as hurricane and flooding all three municipalities have similar insurance and building code issues. Those older beach cottages sure look charming in the ads, but must be worrisome when the weather gets bad.

Is there a lot of tear-down activity, and what do they typically get replaced with?

Thanks again,

Rhys
I know there's an ordinance on Anna Maria where they don't allow high rises, like on LBK. There are a few small condos but not the high rise ones you'll find in downtown Sarasota and LBK.

There isn't a whole lot of tear down going on, especially now. Not many people are building because they can generally buy something much cheaper. If they do tear something down it's usually replaced with a McMansion because they land is so valuable/expensive.

As far as the flooding goes. The north end of Longboat is probably one of the worst areas for flooding. Most of the newer homes on the north end are now built up on stilts. Even our home that was built in 1980 was up on stilts with just a tiled area on the bottom that would be OK if it got water in it. Our original house on LBK was built in the 1940's. It got flooded once when we lived in it. It has all Mexican tile floors and block walls. We just broomed the water out.

One of the biggest issues is insurance. If you have a home in a flood zone, sitting ground level and is an "older, cute cottage". The insurance is sometimes cost prohibitive. If you're ever thinking of going that route just make sure you get some insurance quotes first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Thank you both, that's very helpful and confirms much of what I've learned so far.

I suppose as far as hurricane and flooding all three municipalities have similar insurance and building code issues. Those older beach cottages sure look charming in the ads, but must be worrisome when the weather gets bad.

Is there a lot of tear-down activity, and what do they typically get replaced with?

Thanks again,

Rhys
No, not necessaryily because it depends...bayfront & beachfront are different flood zones because the first, if I'm correct? is considered "flowing water" and where my old home was built bayfront was considered "rising water" due to bayfront/seawall.

Due to the fact that AMI hasn't experienced a real hurricane in eons, I wouldn't necessarily bet on the newer (i.e. past twenty years) construction over those old beach shacks. Many of the shacks have weathered the storm already....I'm sure all the picture glass on the back of my xh's home will blow right out should the wind get into Cat. 2/3/4 status. Seen a no name storm that came south from St. Pete w/winds of 75+ take all our rock at the seawall & blow it right into the pool, not pretty & no advance warning that I remember, back in summer of '95.

One tear down on a large enough lot can be replaced by two elevated rental homes...does not keep with the character of what the island "used" to be. Subway has been the only "fast food" restaurant allowed on AMI if that gives you any idea of island politics.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM

453 posts, read 1,742,369 times
Interesting that the towns there would allow you to tear down a single family home and replace it with two (elevated) houses, or a duplex. Many towns on the NJ shore here prohibit that due to density concerns. I wonder if a lot of snowbirds do that and rent the one or both houses while they are up north.

Rhys

Old 12-13-2010, 02:29 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Interesting that the towns there would allow you to tear down a single family home and replace it with two (elevated) houses, or a duplex. Many towns on the NJ shore here prohibit that due to density concerns. I wonder if a lot of snowbirds do that and rent the one or both houses while they are up north.

Rhys
They've been at it for the past ten years. Guess it all has to do with setbacks.

Strangely enough they can't widen the roads anymore on the island...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area