U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:00 AM

4,545 posts, read 11,482,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstongirl View Post
My husband, a native Sarasotan and I, moved to Sarasota 4 years ago from New Hampshire. Lived just outside of Manchester. Hated it!! But that's a whole other story for the New Hampshire section of this sight. \

Sarasota, I love and never plan on leaving, but..... It is getting more crowded all the time. People are coming here in, what seems like droves, not to mention all the damn "snowbirds" as they're called. The Midwesterners, the East coasters, Canadians, tourists, retirees and vacationers alike. They are all a major pain the the posterior. Most of us Floridians, native and transplants alike, wish they'd all leave and never come back. Some people defend the tourists and say things like "oh, but they help the economy". Granted that is true, but only to a degree. The economy was fine,too, before the influx of so many!

The retired and tourist snowbirds clog the roaodways, especially for people who have to LIVE and WORK here. They drive 55 on 70 mph Interstate 75, in the left lane no less. Argh!!! They do not look out for the many bicyclists and pedestrians here. A lot tend to be rude and demanding, especially the Canadians from Quebec! Most show up to places with large groups of 6 or more, making it an interminable wait for dinner any night of the week, (i.e. a 90 minute wait at Outback or Carrabas!!) or any new or kitschy restaurants. Unless you get to the beaches by 8:00 am, forget about a parking space. You may as well go home. We have!

The wealthier, greedy snowbirds have bought up so much of the water/beachfront property, and the sad part is, most are only utilizing it maybe 2-4 months out of the year. The rest of the time it just sits there not being used. Pitiful.

A lot of us locals are almost glad that the economy has slowed down here. For us it means a slowdown to the "too rapid a growth spurt" Sarasota was beginning to experience. There is one huge thing we locals don't like, and I saw the same thing happen on the Seacoast in New Hampshire, too. That "thing" is too much change. When people vacationed here, they "loved" the quaint, colorful, old Florida style Sarasota had to offer. Buildings, neighborhoods, shops, parks, etc. But, once they decided to buy homes here, second or primary, all of a sudden quaint become trashy, colorful was now tacky, and old and historical was now, well, old. They needed to make all that old stuff, new!! They started, in short order, too. Changed so much of the things that made it what they had originally fallen in love with in the first place. It's too bad. Luckily, though like I said, the growth has slowed significantly.

Why then, you ask, if all of the above is such an irritation, do I never plan on leaving? Because for the 4 months out of the year that all the above folks are gone, Sarasota is wonderful. If you can stand the heat of summer here and the occasional tropical storm, it's great. I can stand it. Beaches are great, great restaurants a plenty, good theaters, outdoor events and attractions, aren't as crowded. Ahhhhhhhhh! It's a bit like an itch in a bad place or a bad headache, it's very annoying while it lasts and so great once it's gone! Nuff said.

Right on, but...all that you describe is that we have a "tourist" season as Florida is a "tourist" desitination....that's what it's always been....and it's not going to change anytime soon, so you just deal with it.

Here's some more sites to peruse...(remember, we have nothing going on down in Sarasota as another poster said....)

Downtown Merchants Association of Sarasota, sarasota2night.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:24 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,241,909 times
Lived in Bradenton, loved it, couldnt afford Sarasota, but its real nice

Old 11-20-2007, 08:30 PM

393 posts, read 1,523,950 times
I miss Sarasota...... Can't wait to move back.... Even it that means waiting until retirement....

Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,241,909 times
What do you think of Sarasota?-hpim0649.jpg
What do you think of Sarasota?-hpim0816.jpg
What do you think of Sarasota?-hpim0836.jpg

Sarasota is gorgeous.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:01 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,811,124 times
I would recommend Sarasota 100%.

Sarasota's Sister City Bradenton, ... NO!!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:57 PM

22 posts, read 45,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I pretty much agree with your whole post, Shepsmom - one of my biggest beefs with living in Sarasota (besides the lack of good jobs) is the wanton construction everywhere - tearing down all the neat old historic places and putting up concrete monstrosities, and eliminating so much of the tree canopy. I talked to a photographer who lived there, who photographs wildlife for calendars and books, and he said it used to be a magnificent place for butterflies and birds of all kinds, the bulk of which has disappeared. I am a real nature lover, and the overriding consciousness in this town is one of greed, the "let's build it bigger and better and charge more for it no matter what it does to the environment" type of mentality.

I used to want to go out west as well, but my hubby has years to go at his Tampa job, so we are settling in Lakeland for now, with our second home in Asheville, NC. I love Lakeland for its small town charm, it's many preserved historic districts and it's amazing lakes and tree canopy. It, too, is a town which supports the arts without being "artsy-fartsy", very community oriented, and lots of public parks. I love the small town feel and "sense of place", rather than the extreme sense of the "transient" feeling I got in my 17 years of Sarasota living.

Once again, these are my own perceptions, I realize others may enjoy things about Sarasota, it does have it's good points, but I do like to describe my perceptions to the full, in case others out there are looking for the same type of place that I myself enjoy, and perhaps can identify with some of what I am talking about. Anyone can feel free to PM me with more specific questions, I am more than glad to help if I can.

TRUST ME GUYS NEW YORK CITY THE WORST , CONSTRUCTION IS HORRIBLE, MIND YOU I WORK NEXT TO WTC GROND ZERO AND AM IN A 28TH FLOOR AND I CAN HERE THE SOUND OF THE EQUIMENT THEIR USING AND FROM UP HERE YOU CAN HEAR ALL THE NOISES , AFTER A YEAR IS STILL LOOKS THGE SAME THEY ARE REALLY REALLY TAKING THERE TIME. THERE CONSTRUCTION EVERY WHERE IS CRAZY EVEN TRAIN STATION UGGHH I REALLY HATE IT!!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:04 PM

5,966 posts, read 7,521,728 times
Two reasons why the population of Sarasota county has grown from 120,000 people to 350,000 people in the last 20 years.
1. I-75
2. Rebuilding the airport
Before I-75, anyone who wanted to travel between Tampa and Naples had to drive on U.S. 41 It discouraged many people from visiting the west coast of FL [anybody remember the 'pray for me I drive U.S. 41' bumper stickers?
The old airport had a small tin shack building serviced by National and Eastern airlines, you got off the plane on the tarmack, and baggage was placed outside the building on a rack for pick up.
Sarasota actually was a ghost town between Easter and Thanksgiving. University Parkway didn't exist and Fruitville, Bee Ridge, Clark, Beneva roads were single lane roadways.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,924 times
Cool Single in Sarasota - love it/hate it

Ok, I need some advice here - PLEASE!
I am from Chicago and moved to Sarasota a few years back. While I do enjoy Sarasota as a whole, I am having some problems with the single scene. Not to mention the older crowd hovering over me. I am finding it very difficult to meet singles in their30/40's over here. We all know why - retirement city. Also, as a Down-to-Earth gal, I find some people in Sarasota with the worst Attitudes I have ever seen. It's all about how much money you have which identifies who you treat good enough. Some singles tell me to get used to it and some form into replica's of the beings they dislike. I want a nice place to live that is down to earth with friendly, peaceful (not crabby, I should have lived life differently) neighbors. Where do you think the best place to live for a single upbeat gal who likes Sarasota without Attitude should live? Dare I ask?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:06 AM

22 posts, read 88,495 times
Are you spiritual? Sarasota has a wonderful community of new age progressive types. This scene makes a Florida town attractive. Check out a Yoga class, Pick-up Natural Awakenings, go to eco-fest, earth dance, visit the buddhist center, sufi center, the UU, drum circles, etc. If you prefer the bar scene, then, sadly, it is hard to date in this town. This place is great for couples of all ages, young singles and retired folk. The 25 to 45 unos are out of luck... generally speaking. Maybe try: eharmony or jdate? Best wishes!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:58 PM

4,545 posts, read 11,482,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota Fun View Post
Are you spiritual? Sarasota has a wonderful community of new age progressive types. This scene makes a Florida town attractive. Check out a Yoga class, Pick-up Natural Awakenings, go to eco-fest, earth dance, visit the buddhist center, sufi center, the UU, drum circles, etc. If you prefer the bar scene, then, sadly, it is hard to date in this town. This place is great for couples of all ages, young singles and retired folk. The 25 to 45 unos are out of luck... generally speaking. Maybe try: eharmony or jdate? Best wishes!
I agree with the above. I also work during the season with the Sarasota Film Festival. They are always looking for volunteers and it's a great way to meet nice people. I'm 46 but look 30 which has turned into a real problem as far as dating goes. My boyfriend is younger. I would not even deal with finding a date at a bar...I have made a wonderful group of friends through my Film Fest work and that works for me. There are great people in SRQ, just get involved in the activities you enjoy and the friends will follow!

As far as attitudes go you can't change theirs but you can just smile & brush it off.

I live downtown in the Burns Court area & love it. PM me if you need more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area