U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:58 PM

4,542 posts, read 11,394,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selby orear View Post
It is a beautiful city ,BUT, it was voted "the meanest city in the USA' not to long ago. If you are a VERY rich Republican you might enjoy it. Might want to go south about 20/30 miles to Venice or Englewood. They are much smaller, and really much more frendly. Sounds like "sweating in Flordia" is one of the types that I am talking about. Venice is smaller, not quite as obnoxious! There is very little proverty in either Venice or Englewood. Actually more proverty in Sarasota, much more crime also. I would not want to live there
Get your facts straight. It was voted "meanest city towards the homeless." That not "meanest city in the U.S.A."

Sarasota is doing it's best to keep the homeless out of the city...that's all...now, in the very near future, some of those who've put into effect laws regarding the homeless, may well end up homeless themselves somewhere down the line or within their family unit due to the economic conditions....... and karma's a b*tch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 04:30 PM

345 posts, read 327,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweating in Florida View Post
I live in the Sarasota area and I came from California four years ago. It's squeeky clean and a little on the prudent side in my opinion. It is a little boring for me and my three boys as we do not care for the beaches or generic tropical restaurants and places that cater to the prudent and mature crowds. Good paying jobs are hard to find for the blue collar worker and non-medical workers. Expect $8 - $9 per hour for the better jobs unless you are a man and a laborer. It is beautiful when you first move here, but it gets old after awhile. If you are older, rich and retired or from a small snow bound dead end town you will think it's exciting and tropical paradise.
With a little editing, your post describes many places. I edited three or so words of your post above to describe Sedona, AZ here:

I live in the Sedona area and I came from California four years ago. It's squeaky clean and a little on the prudent side in my opinion. It is a little boring for me and my three boys as we do not care for the new age shtick or generic restaurants and places that cater to the prudent and mature crowds. Good paying jobs are hard to find for the blue collar worker and non-medical workers. Expect $8 - $9 per hour for the better jobs unless you are a man and a laborer. It is beautiful when you first move here, but it gets old after awhile. If you are older, rich and retired or from a small snow bound dead end town you will think it's exciting and paradise.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:28 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,732,444 times
[quote=Sweating in Florida;6582232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
So are you saying that you want a town that is dirty, with bums on the street, restaurants and beaches that are crappy, and crime?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just curious to what this poster means by it being "squeaky clean". I would like a squeaky clean city over a city that is an armpit without deodorant![/quo

PRUDE: One who is excessively concerned with being or appearing to be proper, modest, and righteous. Sometimes reffered to one who is self righteous, fake and consumed and controlling with their idea of what perfection is. Also is biased and hateful or even jealous of those who are different from them who are more colorful, interesting and diversified.

Sorry, I should not have used the frase "Squeaky clean", as it is good and I was trying to be humorous and I am not . I did not mean in the sense of crime, dirt, or unbathed people and "no deoderant"(that was funny). Prudes commit certain crimes also, like not hiring blacks or hispanics or paying below minimum wage. I am sure there are interesting people here and I still need time to look around.

One thing is for sure: I preffer a place with less focus on perfect golf courses and more excitement for the kids.

Thanks for the comment, it keeps it interesting.
So what you are saying is that Sarasota is a racist city? Not hiring Hispanic or black- or racist? I don't think Sarasota is racist. Also, I don't see Sarasota as being "prude" at all, but that is my opinion. If you want a not so "prude" city, maybe you ought to stick to Bradenton (a phrase I don't think I have ever used. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Well, one thing you've made obvious - you're no prude! LOL And, I'm glad you don't like it south of Sarasota. {pause}

Quote:
Originally Posted by selby orear View Post
It is a beautiful city ,BUT, it was voted "the meanest city in the USA' not to long ago. If you are a VERY rich Republican you might enjoy it. Might want to go south about 20/30 miles to Venice or Englewood. They are much smaller, and really much more frendly. Sounds like "sweating in Flordia" is one of the types that I am talking about. Venice is smaller, not quite as obnoxious! There is very little proverty in either Venice or Englewood. Actually more proverty in Sarasota, much more crime also. I would not want to live there
Sarasota was voted "Meanest City for the Homeless" meaning that Sarasota has a zero tolerance for the homeless out on the roadways begging for money, which I'm glad. Who wants that? I don't think that anybody should be homeless, but Sarasota leaders take them to a shelter, which is where the homeless belong, not on the streets.

You don't have to be a rich Republican to like Sarasota. Party affiliation has NOTHING to do on whether a city is worth living in or not. The crime isn't bad for a city of it's size, and poverty might MIGHT be an issue for Sarasota, but I think that would be in the Newtown area (University to Fruitville Neighborhood), however I don't know where your facts on on this proverty in Sarasota thing- I don't tend to believe it. Sarasota County in general is low on crime, INCLUDING Sarasota.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
With a little editing, your post describes many places. I edited three or so words of your post above to describe Sedona, AZ here:

I live in the Sedona area and I came from California four years ago. It's squeaky clean and a little on the prudent side in my opinion. It is a little boring for me and my three boys as we do not care for the new age shtick or generic restaurants and places that cater to the prudent and mature crowds. Good paying jobs are hard to find for the blue collar worker and non-medical workers. Expect $8 - $9 per hour for the better jobs unless you are a man and a laborer. It is beautiful when you first move here, but it gets old after awhile. If you are older, rich and retired or from a small snow bound dead end town you will think it's exciting and paradise.
Back in the mid 90's my xhusband and I did 10 days in Arizona...we went around the state but Sedonna was our first stop...It was beautiful but I totally get you. Living there, totally different....I was rich then...not so much now....

Old 12-24-2008, 10:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 11,915,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Back in the mid 90's my xhusband and I did 10 days in Arizona...we went around the state but Sedonna was our first stop...It was beautiful but I totally get you. Living there, totally different....I was rich then...not so much now....
Lady, you are one of the richest people I know! You have more wonderful things filling your life, and always know where the exciting things are taking place! Your too cool, even in sunny warm Florida! I want to hear about your Christmas tomorrow, and really want to find out what you're doing no New Years Eve. Cuz, that will be a great party!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Lady, you are one of the richest people I know! You have more wonderful things filling your life, and always know where the exciting things are taking place! Your too cool, even in sunny warm Florida! I want to hear about your Christmas tomorrow, and really want to find out what you're doing no New Years Eve. Cuz, that will be a great party!

Thank you! The plan is to go downtown SRQ!

Old 12-24-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Thank you! The plan is to go downtown SRQ!
Well, Look North at mid-night! I'll be toasting a glass to all my friends!
I have a special toast I'll be making! I'm in the middle of writing it!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,647 times
My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Florida for 6 months a year to bring our international business to the States from Sweden. We have the RGRM International method to help those who have had stroke, Parkinson's, depression and other brain problems. Because it is so successfully used in Sweden, we thought that the population of Florida would welcome this method with open arms in the health fields. We are not sure if we should buy or rent...Sarasota, Naples, Melbourne, or wherever the progressive health care mentality would be best. Does anyone have any feedback for us? We would like whatever scenario to one of financially affordable also, as well, as we will still have our Stockholm apt to keep. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay gregory View Post
My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Florida for 6 months a year to bring our international business to the States from Sweden. We have the RGRM International method to help those who have had stroke, Parkinson's, depression and other brain problems. Because it is so successfully used in Sweden, we thought that the population of Florida would welcome this method with open arms in the health fields. We are not sure if we should buy or rent...Sarasota, Naples, Melbourne, or wherever the progressive health care mentality would be best. Does anyone have any feedback for us? We would like whatever scenario to one of financially affordable also, as well, as we will still have our Stockholm apt to keep. Thanks for the help.
I can't speak about the business you are thinking about. I would think that it would be tough getting licensed in Florida or anywhere else if you don't have all the approved credentials. Even so, I think the process will be really tough.

I can tell you that you ought to come and check out SWFL if you haven't already. Things are very affordable now. If you are seriously considering a purchase here, I recommend you contact a good agent, like SoFLGal, who works with a lot of people from all over the country, and internationally as well that understands all the needs you have if you are considering buying from such a long distance away.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 AM

972 posts, read 2,032,853 times
Kay
You may be able to get an L1 intra company transfer visa if your business is of sufficent size and number of employees. It can lead to permanent residence.
Sarasoat Naples or Melbourne are all different types of places. For your business the age make up of Venice or Sarasota would best suit you
There are 3300 realtors in the area all of whom would be willing to help you but few of whom have any knowledge of the immigration and visa criteria so pick wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area