Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times

Advertisements

After giving the idea further consideration, I have come to the conclusion that you may be looking at this from the wrong direction. This has the potential to make your family's vacation a bit easier, not harder (although I know I'm gonna hear about having a sick outlook here!) So here's my thought: get from your doctor one of those 'handicapped' parking hang tags for your rental car (which will make getting around during season a lot easier) and take a trip to Disney or Universal! A wheelchair and crutches is like a get-out-of-jail card there. You simply stroll (roll) past the lines and they get you in and out quickly. I've had a guest in the same position (he was an army Lt with a blown out knee) and didn't relish the idea of being wheeled around until we saw how easy it was to deal with the crowds and lines. I almost felt guilty about it but they really go out of their way to make things easier for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 10:27 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,135 times
With so many seniors, you know Sarasota caters to them & their limited ability issues; we are pretty much totally wheelchair accessable here... case in point, the elevator/refund issue...IMO: I'd rather stare at a beach with a cast on then not...

Old 12-09-2010, 01:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by let it go View Post
. He is not good at giving up control....stress is high when he isn't in control.
What are your thoughts friends?
How much input do you actually have in the decision?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:16 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times
Default Wheelchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
You can't get into the circus museum or the mansion, but hey it's free. If you want to watch sunset try the point at the end of Avenida Messina. It is pavement all the way to the beach so it would make it easy for a wheel chair. There is always something about a pitcher of margaritas at the beach ar sunset.

Oh yea, don't forget the pie at Yoder's. You can also go to St Armands.

I would get a wheel chair if you can talk him into it. You will be able to do much more.
Make sure you get a motorized wheelchair. One time I had to push my quite heavyset mother-in-law through the airport in a regular wheelchair. My back hurt for a week.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:14 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,080,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Make sure you get a motorized wheelchair. One time I had to push my quite heavyset mother-in-law through the airport in a regular wheelchair. My back hurt for a week.
Hey yeah!, If you go visit Boca Grande they have golf carts you can rent and ride around town in, and go to the beach! That my be a great day. The town is beautiful!!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:56 PM

159 posts, read 321,891 times
Hey Thanks to all of you for helpful and positive suggestions. I actually feel better about the thought of the trip....but my husband still says he is NOT using a wheel chair. I may be able to get him into a golf cart though. I will investigate all of your ideas...thanks again!!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,080,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by let it go View Post
Hey Thanks to all of you for helpful and positive suggestions. I actually feel better about the thought of the trip....but my husband still says he is NOT using a wheel chair. I may be able to get him into a golf cart though. I will investigate all of your ideas...thanks again!!
You will love Boca Grande it is a special old Florida town. The Gasparilla in is there, and you have to go to the Loose Caboose for lunch and ice cream. The best way to see the town is to go to one of the golf cart rental places and use that to ride around town, see the Banyan Trees! They are awesome, there are a lot of great shops to view, and if he is into fly fishing - they have some really great out-fitters there. Pick a nice day (of which I hope there are many while you are here), and ride some of the side streets and look at some of the older homes and the architecture. Maybe bring a bottle of wine and some cheese with you, and stop under the shade of one of the trees - it might make you feel lucky!

I hope you have a great time, and come back and let us know how your trip turns out.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:00 PM

913 posts, read 2,361,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
You will love Boca Grande it is a special old Florida town. The Gasparilla in is there, and you have to go to the Loose Caboose for lunch and ice cream. The best way to see the town is to go to one of the golf cart rental places and use that to ride around town, see the Banyan Trees! They are awesome, there are a lot of great shops to view, and if he is into fly fishing - they have some really great out-fitters there. Pick a nice day (of which I hope there are many while you are here), and ride some of the side streets and look at some of the older homes and the architecture. Maybe bring a bottle of wine and some cheese with you, and stop under the shade of one of the trees - it might make you feel lucky!

I hope you have a great time, and come back and let us know how your trip turns out.

Boca Grande reminds me of one of those small towns in the Caribbean you visit on a cruise ship. It is very unique.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:41 PM

159 posts, read 321,891 times
Boca Grande sounds wonderful! We will have to drop the kids off somewhere and adults only...enjoy this town! We looked into getting the boys a rental car of their own...but you have to be 25 to rent! So, we will have to share! We are getting so much snow and cold here in Indiana....I may refuse to come back here once I actually make it down there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area