Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,337 times

Advertisements

Just had an incident in my little corner of paradise that has me a bit freaked out.

My husband and I were at my elderly mom's house and decided to take our dog for a walk down the street. We walk up the street and noticed this guy walking in the opposite direction toward my mom's house. I kept my eye on him, because I had a weird feeling.

Sure enough this creep goes into my mom's bushes from the greenbelt adjoining her house. He appeared to be relieving himself in her bushes. Then he made his way around my mom's house to the front door, where he rang the bell. My husband ran back towards my mom's house and confronted him. My elderly mom had opened the door and he was "talking" about shutters for windows or some sh#$@. My husband asked him leave, to which he replied that he didn't need to steal money...he was working. Well its hard to believe he was working if my mom's house was the only one he attempted to enter. The creep threw his money on the ground, in an attempt to show he didn't need to steal...and was not quick to leave the area.

We watched his movements for over an hour and up and down the streets he went. We called the cops, and let them know of the suspicious creep. They said they were sending cars around to keep an eye out.

My mom lives in a "safe" neighborhood...but this really shook me up. First watching the dirt bag p@s! in her yard, then him having the gaul to ring on her doorbell, and then having the balls to be confrontational with my husband.

Sorry, just had to get it off my chest. I guess this is a lesson in...Don't let paradise lull you into a false sense of security...scumbags are everywhere.

Going to the dog forum now, to see if they have any suggestions for breeds of guard dogs for an elderly woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 06:52 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
For as long as I've lived here, I've seen news stories about 'gypsies" who move thru the state at this time of year. Apparently, they follow the nice weather. Anyway, they run cons of all types including blacktopping driveways, roof repairs, bank scams, shoplifting, etc. Of course, none are licensed, insured, or particularly interested in doing a good, honest job. It's a problem found everywhere and has been around (in one form or another) since history began.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Yup, you would not believe the door-to-door creeps that come a-knocking up here in Whitfield Estates. I NEVER open the door, talk at them through the window and tell them in no uncertain terms to move on. I can't believe there are actually naive people in my neighborhood that open their doors to just anyone. Some of them have actually seemed crazy.

Do be careful - I honestly don't trust ANYONE that solicits door-to-door these days.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
we had Jehovah Witnesses here yesterday !

Glad your Mom is ok Col W

Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
In our neighborhood - well I'm a pretty big guy, but not always around to be the Big Brother I usually feel accustom to being. Anyway, what we did early on when we first move in, was meet our neighbors. I asked each to them to call me if they ever felt someone was freaking them out like that, and asked them if I wasn't there if they would do the same. So, if you or your husband aren't around, if they can call a couple people to show up when something like this happens - it will "freak" that intruder out. It works really well, when several neighbors show up after a quick phone call they call around and everyone comes out. I can assure you nothing will happen then.

The problem with dogs, is although they are great companions, once your mom calms it down and it is introduced to the guy who just showed up at the door - it is not likely to attack, and if it were to do that - well then she'd have more of a problem.

Just a thought. . .

Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 AM

338 posts, read 1,012,373 times
I agree a dog might be more problem than help for an elderly person. Especially a dog large enough to protect her. I advise my elderly mother never to open her from door to strangers. I recommend she use a front window to talk to them. Also sometimes these people work in teams, one distracting you at the front door the other gaining entrance from another door . So keep all doors locked! And maybe you can look into one of those devices the elderly can wear in case of a fall etc. A home alarm system might give her a bit more security if she is capable of managing it. I hope that person is long gone from her area now, but the elderly are always a target.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:16 AM
GPH

94 posts, read 232,614 times
This happens everywhere. I live in Massachusetts, in a rural area, where a couple of girls, 20ish came to my door trying to sell magazines. Well, needless to say, I scared them off ( I'm from NY ya know, very scary!) I called all my neighbors to give them a heads up and one of my neighbors almost got scammed, the checkbook was out and he was ready to subscribe. Constant vigilance people......

Old 01-02-2011, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 11,570 times
Your story was a good reminder, My husband and I will be an addition to the onslaught of "snowbirds", though being under 60 I think the tag should be changed to "sun chasers", we have lived in Maine for the past 10 years and tend to trust everyone, just recently started locking the house and car .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area