U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2011, 02:23 PM

155 posts, read 720,787 times
Default Massage

I was thinking about going for my license massage therapy license...is that a need for Floridains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:39 PM

453 posts, read 393,739 times
with the agein (aged) population down here, I'd assume so. I know someone who's wife is one and he left his career to become on cause the opportunity is so good.
I'd also think if you can extend yourself to physical therapy that would be even better.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM

89 posts, read 81,657 times
just saw a listing 38-55 an hour

Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 PM

1,981 posts, read 1,444,331 times
Massage therapy is, I believe a 6 month course. Not sure if FL has a "special" license like it does for Physical Therapy. Massages are more of a luxury, so I would aim for the bigger money areas in FL, since most insurances won't cover it. Physical therapist assistant is an associates degree that does require an 8hr Florida exam (since it is actually a medical position), but makes a lot more $$$ than a massage therapist.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:05 PM

57 posts, read 80,703 times
Florida is one of the toughest States, regulation-wise, in the US, to get licensed. A minimum of 500 hours of a Board approved school is required, plus passing the national exam; it can be done in 6 months, I believe, if you are attending school full time. There is an excellent school here in Sarasota (Sarasota School of Massage Therapy); if you plan on going to school in another state, make sure that the school is approved by the State of Florida or else you will have to have additional schooling to practice here. I am from NC, have had 560 hours of school, have a national certification, licensed in the US Virgin Islands but my school in NC is not recognized by FL...so I will have to spend more money on my education in order to practice here....quite the bummer as I have been a therapist for years now with a ton of practical experience and the education that should allow me to easily practice here. The regulating body in FL is: www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/massage/ma_lic_req.html

Hope that helps!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 AM

1,342 posts, read 742,297 times
Florida college of Natural health is a good school.. I believe this school is noticed all over the place whether you go in FL and move somewhere else.

I have heard of those who had to take more school in FL because their school was not so good where they came from.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 AM

I have heard that Florida College of Natural Health is a good school as well, DoctorRain. I do have to comment on the fact that it is not a matter of a school not being "so good" where they came from, it is that Florida has chosen to recognize only a few in other states. It is an unfortunate situation since we all have to have a minimum of 500 course hours of schooling and ALL have to pass a national exam (in most states) in order to practice; this should be all that is necessary in order for therapists to practice anywhere in the US. It is a frustrating situation for those of us who have the excellent education necessary to do what we love, have taken steps to become nationally licensed and certified, have years of practical experience as well and still are forced to give more time and money to satisfy some trivial requirements in this state...

Old 01-20-2011, 08:29 AM

4,155 posts, read 7,762,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsa View Post
just saw a listing 38-55 an hour
$38-$55 hour means the MT's cut is 1/2. If you're going to go into this business,which is pretty saturated in Sarasota, you'd be better to go into business for yourself.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 AM

I agree, Ladywithafan. There are a great deal of therapists here in a town of this size so working for yourself would be the best way to go. Day spas tend to work you fingers to the bone for very little income, once the "house" has gotten their cut...alot of hard work for not very much money.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM

10,902 posts, read 8,638,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatesgal318 View Post
I do have to comment on the fact that it is not a matter of a school not being "so good" where they came from, it is that Florida has chosen to recognize only a few in other states. It is an unfortunate situation since we all have to have a minimum of 500 course hours of schooling and ALL have to pass a national exam (in most states) in order to practice; this should be all that is necessary in order for therapists to practice anywhere in the US. It is a frustrating situation for those of us who have the excellent education necessary to do what we love, have taken steps to become nationally licensed and certified, have years of practical experience as well and still are forced to give more time and money to satisfy some trivial requirements in this state...
When I went to massage school back in MN in the 80's there was no state licensing then, some states still don't have it, practised for 5 years, then moved to AZ, where I needed a license and 700 hours, couldn't even advertise without a license. Locked out!

I was told in school you are considered a professional when you've done 2000 massages. And this professional is not doing back to school!

I then moved to Las Vegas where there were far fewer restrictions.

IMO, you don't need to even go to massage school to give a good massage. I've had some awesome massages from people who have never been to school, they merely learned it from books or watching a DVD on massage. Some people are just naturally gifted, born with that magic touch.

These massage schools have a racket going which is on a par with the Mafia. Business is slow at the schools, well, just raise the number of hours necessary to get a license. That simple! Before long, they'll require 1000 hours of training, then 2000 hours.

Just touching another human being can be therapeutic.

I say, if those that insist upon having a massage from someone who's jumped thru all the hoops to get a license, then go there for your massage and pay your small fortune to get one. If you don't care, one way or another, get a massage from someone who's unlicensed, pay less, and you may find out they can do a better job than those that are licensed. But why lock those people out?

Last edited by tijlover; 01-20-2011 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Edit/add line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area