Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,757 times

Advertisements

My Fiance and I currently live on the east coast of the state. We moved here after I got out of the Army. There is a possibility that we may be relocating to the Manatee county area for my job.

She has her degree in Business Marketing with a minor in Finance. Are there any jobs in the area, or within decent commuting distance, for this type of work. She's flexible in what she'll do. She's worked everywhere from banks to college universities. Any information on places to look, even if they're not directly related to the marketing or finance world, would be greatly appreciated.

How is the cost of living? Are house/apt prices affordable? I've heard good things about the University Park area and other parts of Bradenton. We're both in our mid 20's and would like to find an area with younger couples to socialize with. Naturally, we'd like to be close to the beach but we also need to be able to afford to live there. We don't have any children so we're not incredibly worried about schools in the area.

Any suggestions on cities/areas within manatee county that are affordable and have work within a decent commute are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 PM

15 posts, read 28,496 times
Hi,

I've lived in the Bradenton - Sarasota area for 26 years, so perhaps I can help you with some of your questions.

As to jobs, banks probably won't be an option as many of them have cut back on staff. However, there are quite a few corporate businesses located in Lakewood Ranch's industrial/business parks. You might check out the 2 local newspapers, the Bradenton Herald and Sarasota Herald Tribune for the local job openings.

As to Bradenton housing, a lot of people like southern Manatee/University Pkwy area for the newer subdivisions, or east of I75 in the Ellenton & Parish areas if you don't mind a 20 - 30 minute commute. Neighborhoods can be quirky in Bradenton as you can have a subdivision next to a retail center, then another neighborhood. Planning was not the best when the town began it's urban sprawl. Home prices have come down substantially over the past 4 years, for both homes and townhomes. You can find newer 3 bedroom/ 2 bath/ 2 car garage homes for $120,000 to $150,000. Some short sales (in foreclosure) are going for $10,000 to $15,000 less if you're willing to wait up to 5 months to close.

Rentals are available at all price ranges, but you need to check out the neighborhoods before putting down your deposit to see it it suits your tastes and I strongly recommend you check the owner's name/address on the clerk of court's web site to make sure the property is not in foreclosure (we've had some issues with owners not telling tenants the bank is foreclosing on the property in the near future). As anything, do your homework. You can find lots of nice rental homes for around $1000 a month or condos/townhouses for less.

Bradenton - Sarasota has a lot to offer: great beaches, several malls and 2 outlet malls, lots of restaurants of all types, clubs, just about any type of outdoor activity you could want, performing arts center, concerts, seafood festivals, art festivals, car shows, etc, etc.

It's also about a 35 minute drive to St. Pete or 50 minute drive to Tampa, which opens up lots of other options for day trips.

You'll probably find the cost of living cheaper than the east coast, from what I hear from our east coast friends. Manatee county is cheaper than the city of Bradenton for property taxes, although the gap has been closing over the past few years.

Even though you don't have children (yet), I always recommend buying in a neighborhood with good schools from a resale standpoint should you want to move later on.

Good luck with your move.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,757 times
Thanks for the info! Just trying to get some info on the area and do my homework before accepting a job out that way. I'll be heading over there to check things out in person in a few weeks. Any area to check in particular, other than those you mentioned? Any places to avoid? Thanks again for the info. Appreciate it.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:52 PM

4,611 posts, read 7,524,365 times
I live in the Bradenton area and agree with most of what sandwalker said. As to areas you may not care for, I suggest you talk to some of the people at your future employer's office and get their input, as what makes a "bad" neighborhood is subjective.

I would add that we have some beautiful beaches, Coquina and Bradenton Beach. Conquina has lots of parking spaces and picnic benches. There's also jet ski rentals available.

Best of luck to you on your new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area