Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 PM

879 posts, read 1,952,655 times

Advertisements

Family coming in Feb, family coming in March - trying to make plans! our pool is not heated and I am wondering if it will be warm enough in march for NY'ers to want to swim in it! This is our 1st winter here so I have no idea what to expect.

Anyone else with an unheated pool - when do you start using it?

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:19 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,544 times
It really depends on the individual tolerance. I remember 2007 New Years Day, I went swimming on the beaches. In 2010 we had record cold. This year seems much more mild. A week ago my house in Port Charlotte hit 80. As long as we're not in the midst of a passing cold front, I would bet if your guests spend 30 minutes relaxing in direct sunlight, a dip in the pool in Feb/March would feel pretty good. If you serve some home made sangria, everyone will enjoy it even more!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:32 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,189 times
In March, the pool will probably be around 65-68. Some people would have no problem with that- it's about the same as the Gulf temp in March. Plenty of people swim in the Gulf when it's 65! Personally, I won't go in until it's 85, but I'm a wimp!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,140,812 times
you might want to look into a solar cover. i got one pretty inexpensively on ebay. about half the price if bought in one of the stores here. free shipping and no tax. i have it on now even though we have not been in over the winter. it helps with the evaporation of water and the chlorine level. they make blue, black and clear. they claim the clear does the most to bring temps up. i know up north it extended the swimming season by a couple weeks.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 AM

879 posts, read 1,952,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Homes View Post
In March, the pool will probably be around 65-68. Some people would have no problem with that- it's about the same as the Gulf temp in March. Plenty of people swim in the Gulf when it's 65! Personally, I won't go in until it's 85, but I'm a wimp!
oh brrrrr! i'm with you! lol

Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,080,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
you might want to look into a solar cover. i got one pretty inexpensively on ebay. about half the price if bought in one of the stores here. free shipping and no tax. i have it on now even though we have not been in over the winter. it helps with the evaporation of water and the chlorine level. they make blue, black and clear. they claim the clear does the most to bring temps up. i know up north it extended the swimming season by a couple weeks.
yeah, the pools will lose about 7-8 degrees in temperature at night, and then regain it during the day. The covers will help the pools so they only lose 2-3 degrees at night. I heat my pool now, and keep it at 85 degrees. I'm going swimming later today. The covers help save energy as well.

I'm from WNY, and although I like the pool warm, and my wife certainly does, I don't mind swimming when its colder sometimes. When you grow up swimming in water that only reaches 60, you have greater tolarance.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 AM

477 posts, read 987,026 times
Our pool is heated but I'm not heating it until February when family comes to visit. My son and daughter got in last week with it unheated and it was freezing but they got used to it after a bit. I thought they were crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area