Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:55 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
You might talk with an alarm company to see if they have a solution that would result in a phone call to the police or sheriff's office. I imagine it would be an easy matter for them to set up a zone that would trip if a wire was cut or something like that. I know what it is like to have scumbags steal your property over and over. All you can do is keep trying to deter them. You'd think by now that the a/c companies would have some sort of solution since it is so prevalent these days.
That's not a bad idea but what about the meter reader? Can't think of anyone else who might come near the property. If you're out in the boonies I'm assuming you're on well so you wouldn't have to worry about someone coming to read for the water. Just the electric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 PM

Never heard of an A/C alarm before but I found this: http://ezinearticles.com/?AC-Copper-Theft-Prevention---Air-Conditioner-Cages-Vs-AC-Alarms&id=2885578 (broken link)

Not sure about this but I suppose it's an idea: http://www.copperguard.net/solution.html (broken link)

I'd be tempted to look into some kind of tracking device. I know on my computers I have LoJack and if someone steals any of them I can log onto my computer and see the exact location. It's pretty much like a GPS on a car.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:08 PM

33 posts, read 54,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
That's not a bad idea but what about the meter reader? Can't think of anyone else who might come near the property. If you're out in the boonies I'm assuming you're on well so you wouldn't have to worry about someone coming to read for the water. Just the electric.

We have a lawn maintenance company at our home every week and were not in the boonies....matter of fact were in North Port and we bought our house through you......sort of

Frank

Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 PM

33 posts, read 54,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Never heard of an A/C alarm before but I found this: http://ezinearticles.com/?AC-Copper-Theft-Prevention---Air-Conditioner-Cages-Vs-AC-Alarms&id=2885578 (broken link)

Not sure about this but I suppose it's an idea: COPPERGUARD COPPER-GUARD HVAC THEFT SECURITY PRODUCTS (http://www.copperguard.net/solution.html - broken link)

I'd be tempted to look into some kind of tracking device. I know on my computers I have LoJack and if someone steals any of them I can log onto my computer and see the exact location. It's pretty much like a GPS on a car.

The people who are installing our new pump told us they can install a siren that will sound if power to the heat pump is cut or if there is a freon pressure drop. The issue I have with this is that once the alarm sounds,the damage is already done. I want to try and prevent it all together.

Frank

Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Ram3500 View Post
We have a lawn maintenance company at our home every week and were not in the boonies....matter of fact were in North Port and we bought our house through you......sort of

Frank
Ah, sometimes I don't connect the ID's to the "real names". Now you have me wondering.

When you said vacant lots on either side and not many homes on the street I assumed you must be farther out.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
The people who are installing our new pump told us they can install a siren that will sound if power to the heat pump is cut or if there is a freon pressure drop. The issue I have with this is that once the alarm sounds,the damage is already done. I want to try and prevent it all together.

Frank
Yea that or catch them. Personally, I'd like them to get caught. I'm not sure if they could recover anything for you or not. Maybe they could trace it to a scrap yard or whereever they were taking it to get you some money back.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 AM

Here's the letter I wrote the county Commission and Chief of Police this morning. If anyone else would like to going in the fight send over your email. I removed our names from the post:

Commissioner Yates,

I'm not sure if you remember me or not but my children and I met you in front of the voting area one afternoon. My girls, xxxxxx 13 and xxxxx, 6 spoke to you for over an hour prior to going in and voting. As you know we did vote for you.

I would like to ask you for your help. I was recently contact by a client who had his A/C system stolen for the second time. The first time it cost him $4800 to replace his entire A/C system and the second time it cost him $1900, because he found some discounted parts for replacement. He and his wife will not be moving down for several years so the home sits vacant. They fear they may have to sell their home prior to retirement due to the huge cost of replacing numerous A/C's and parts.

Many homes I show on a daily basis have the A/C's missing, totally or partially. Where do these criminals take the A/C's to? Can they be traced to local scrap yards, Craigslist? What can we do about this as a community? I know many say to be vigilant and keep an eye out for anything suspicious and unusual but this just doesn't seem to be working. What can you do as a county commissioner? What can our police force do? I realize this happens all over the US but I don't want it going on in the community I live in.

Please let me what we can do to work together on this issue.

Sincerely,

xxxxx

Old 01-31-2011, 06:42 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
Wow, I only thought people stole the a/c's out of foreclosures! And even then, I thought it was the owners that stole them. Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess. I'm sorry you lost yours twice. Does your HO insurance not cover theft?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Do you mean a dummy camera or a real one? How would I monitor it from 1200 miles away? Definitely something worth looking into.

Frank
You can easily monitor security cameras from anywhere in the world. Unfortunately, it is not cheap. Friends of mine have a vacation home in Englewood and put in 6 cameras all around the house. That kit cost them I believe around $500 (color cameras!) But, then you need a computer in the house with internet that is always turned on, so the camera images are broadcast over a secure link and you can log in from anywhere to see what is (or isn't) going on. There are also on-line services that charge a nominal fee to record everything for you.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
I would think even a few dummy cams with an official looking alarm company signed placed strategically around the property MAY help deter some criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area