Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 AM

807 posts, read 3,174,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
I still think if you had a home alarm there would be a way to use a normal wireless window sensor. Just put it inside the access door where it would break contact if the door was opened. If it was part of the home security system a siren would sound and the signal would be sent to the monitoring company. You could place a sticker on the unit, as you would your windows and doors.
there isn't an access door on the outside condenser and I think the plastic would deterioriate quickly outside, but in theory he magnet would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
there isn't an access door on the outside condenser and I think the plastic would deterioriate quickly outside, but in theory he magnet would work.
There is no access panel on your condenser? What did they leave electrical connections taped to the exterior of the coil?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,127,942 times
are they stripping out the valuable parts on site or cutting the freon lines and electric and stealing the whole condenser. if i were going to do this i dont think i would want to hang around long enough to disassemble the unit. two guys or even one with a hand truck could be in and out in less than a couple minutes

Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 AM

913 posts, read 2,353,010 times
How about these?

AC Watchdog Alarm System

http://jacksonsystems.com/search/cat...FcNM4AodwSF31g

http://www.copperguard.net/products.html (broken link)

http://www.propertyarmor.net/?gclid=...Fcbd4AodL3Sx1w

Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,924,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
If it is someone in the business they are not scrapping the metal. They are selling the unit or installing them for cash side work. Hey Mrs Smith I can replace that for you Saturday with a used unit thats only 6 months old, 400 cash...... sure beats paying full price and it can be installed saturday what a deal.....
Bingo! Two of those a month = a nice pay raise.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,664,551 times
This might have been mentioned already but what about errecting some sort of barrier around the outside units? Fencing with a padlocked gate perhaps. I know some people do it anyway for the aesthetics of it but if they had to break through a locked gate to get to the unit, or if they can't even see if it's something they'd want, I'd assume they would rather just move on to the next house without one.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:55 PM

4,796 posts, read 5,970,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Bingo! Two of those a month = a nice pay raise.
If you have an older unit before the changeout to Puron (1/1/10) it might indeed be more valuable to reinstall. No AC units (pre Puron) can be manufactured per goverment mandate after the above date. This is a rather expensive proprosition for the homeowner as the air handler also has to be changed. This was done pretty quietly and some homeowners were sold obsolete but new systems just months before the mandate went into effect helping the AC dealers get rid of costly overhead.

Good Luck

Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 PM

33 posts, read 54,660 times
Default Update:

I have some good news. My wife received a call from the officer handling our case today and was told they are quite certain they know who gutted our heat pump. The police were able to confirm 8 gutted heat pumps in our area all of which were gutted of copper but still had their more valuable pumps still in place. The police checked all the scrap dealers in the area and had them call if anyone brought in any copper AC coils. Scrap dealers in Florida are required to ask for ID when accepting scrap and the officer in charge of our case received a call from a local scrap dealer and was given the name of a man who today with a second man dropped off 15 used copper coils. These two men are apparently known to police and have been in trouble in the past along with a third man for similar crimes. The third man is currently in jail and has been there for the past month for AC thefts.

My wife is still in Florida and sent me the above news by e-mail earlier today and I'm still awaiting any more updates. She did send me a text to say that she was asked if she wants to press charges , so I would have to assume that they are the confirmed thieves. Interestingly, my wife was told that if she presses charges she would have to testify against the thieves in court because the thieves can simply say we gave them the parts!!

Anyhow, Thank you everyone for all your great suggestions, some of which I will be using and Shannon for all your leg work in bringing this ongoing dilemma to the attention of our local officials. I too will be doing my part to stomp on the toes of these thieving scumbags by firing off e-mails and phone calls to officials in the coming days. I will post any updates

Frank

Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,829,397 times
That's fantastic news! Ya know I was gonna mention that to you. I've shown a few homes in the area where you're located and many of them have had their A/C's ripped off. Not to say that other areas haven't had this problem. It's just an unusually high amount in the area where your home is. I mentioned this to Commissioner Yates yesterday when I spoke to her and she was going to mention this to the police dept when she met with them. I actually happen to remember several streets where I saw the missing or dismantled A/C's. I was wondering if they could hook them together.

I was out today but I plan on making a few calls over to the Chief of Police and city manager tomorrow.

That's unbelievable that they can say you gave it to them. How ridiculous is that? I'd be in court regardless.

Let us know anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Ram3500 View Post
I have some good news. My wife received a call from the officer handling our case today and was told they are quite certain they know who gutted our heat pump. The police were able to confirm 8 gutted heat pumps in our area all of which were gutted of copper but still had their more valuable pumps still in place. The police checked all the scrap dealers in the area and had them call if anyone brought in any copper AC coils. Scrap dealers in Florida are required to ask for ID when accepting scrap and the officer in charge of our case received a call from a local scrap dealer and was given the name of a man who today with a second man dropped off 15 used copper coils. These two men are apparently known to police and have been in trouble in the past along with a third man for similar crimes. The third man is currently in jail and has been there for the past month for AC thefts.

My wife is still in Florida and sent me the above news by e-mail earlier today and I'm still awaiting any more updates. She did send me a text to say that she was asked if she wants to press charges , so I would have to assume that they are the confirmed thieves. Interestingly, my wife was told that if she presses charges she would have to testify against the thieves in court because the thieves can simply say we gave them the parts!!

Anyhow, Thank you everyone for all your great suggestions, some of which I will be using and Shannon for all your leg work in bringing this ongoing dilemma to the attention of our local officials. I too will be doing my part to stomp on the toes of these thieving scumbags by firing off e-mails and phone calls to officials in the coming days. I will post any updates

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area