Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,894,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
Really when you think of it, those of us who have retired or who are retiring soon, moving to our favorite place or staying put or snow birding are really fortunate. We did something right that we are ABLE to do what we want. I'm sure all of you worked hard to get to where you are just as we have.
Amen! This is so true. And in our golden years we all need to find what's best for us. We need to look for that shoe that fits.

Quote:
I just think of other people who also worked hard their whole lives and ended up losing it all due to the economy or unfortunate circumstances and realize how lucky we are to have "made it".
We were very fortunate and planned for years for retirement.

Quote:
Isn't it wonderful that we can all disagree on where to retire to? There are so many that don't have the options we do! WE are the lucky ones my new friends!
There are many places where one can retire. There's somewhere for everyone no matter their interests. Just like TN or CA or AZ isn't for everyone, FL isn't either. It cames back to your interests, lifestyle, health, age etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 PM

Default cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I am so happy for you cat lady ! So much for brevity snips though, whew that was a long winded quote session. Anyway, I hope you have fantastic trip, drive safe and take loads of pictures. Since you have a smaller RV how many cats will you be taking? I dont want to see you on animal hoarders because of this trip..... Have a great time
Thank you for the well wishes. We'll be stopping at Jennings first, then Ocala, then on down to Sarasota and Bradenton. We're not sure where we're going from there. I'd like to check out Myakka Sate Park.

We have three cats and always take them with us. Three is enough and we love them dearly. They've adapted to traveling and do fine. No cat hoarding here. I swear they act like they know something is up. My packing yesterday and today must be the giveaway. We would leave earlier but I couldn't change my Dr's apt for the 7th.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:45 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,924,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
But you must take into consideration our lifestyle differences. We're not the type to spend endless afternoons at the beach or a pool. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just not us. Coming from NY I did spend many a happy day on the beaches of Long Island - under an umbrella. We live right by a beautiful lake and haven't swam there in 15 years. We walk around it quite often in nice weather though. Don't get me wrong, a day or two at the beach every week is fine but both of us are fair-skinned and burn easily. If it's over 90F, I have to stay indoors with A/C. Lower if it's also humid. That's a personal thing not related at any particular place. One summer a few years ago I collapsed at the Nashville Zoo with heat-exhaustion. It was sunny and in the 90s. I knew better but my grandson has his heart set so......... I took the chance.
AZ may be the better place for you. Really, it just might be. You should use your Jedi research skills and check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I understand. For people from the North where cold, ice and snow can make life miserable, FL or any of the gulf coast states may be the answer to their prayers. You don't need a place free of deed restrictions. You may want a Gated Community. The cost of living may be the same or even lower in FL than your northern city. You move there with your children and eliminate a few concerns us retired people have. You're young enough to make lifetime friendships. You get my drift.
No I don't get your "drift". You are so far off base, it's actually funny. Like I chuckled out loud for real. Gated community? Deed restrictions? COL the same? Wow...just wow.

Have a great time taking advantage of a state for a month, yet loathing it under the skin. I just hope people don't read your posts and make any kind of hay out of it.

Cat people are the strangest on earth...I used to think I was a "cat person", now I know I just like cats. Hmph.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,024,131 times
Just do it! And have fun. It's your life! I just don't agree that you can't make real friends just aquaintances when you live here in Florida full time. That just isn't true. I have made many real friends, and many of the people we have met here that we have made friends with have a lot of the same interests.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,127,942 times
dear ---^^---,

in reading your posts, arguments and rebuttals, its enough to make ones head hurt. you hate florida but yet are going to vacation here. you have no understanding of gun concealed carry or pitbulls but you try to come off as an expert. i almost expect to see your next post talking about your new .45 colt and an adopted pit.

as big house said just do it. it appears you have it all figured out anyway.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,496,470 times
Folks,
A strong reminder to be respectful and kind. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.
You may discuss opinions, but do NOT discuss another poster. NO name calling, etc. is allowed.

This is a good subject. Don't make us have to close another thread. Fair warning.

Frank

Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,333 times
Thank you for taking the time and sharing this information with us. It was indeed very helpful and insightful while being straight forward and to the point.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
AZ may be the better place for you. Really, it just might be. You should use your Jedi research skills and check it out.
It may be a better place for you also. You already know all about it there so perhaps should have stayed there.

Quote:
No I don't get your "drift". You are so far off base, it's actually funny. Like I chuckled out loud for real. Gated community? Deed restrictions? COL the same? Wow...just wow.
I also chuckeled out loud at you post. Are those who posted about how superficial friends are there among the RETIREES all lying? Why would people lie about such a thing? Are the people I spoke to who returned here to TN from FL also lying? Why would they lie? And yes (chuckle) there are indeed Gated communities and Deed restrictions in FL, not just AZ where you're from. Wow, you probably have never been to FL.

Quote:
Have a great time taking advantage of a state for a month, yet loathing it under the skin. I just hope people don't read your posts and make any kind of hay out of it.
Who said I hated FL? How is a state taken advantage of? Please explain that little trick to me. Do you lack reading comprehension? I said it's not the place for me to move and gave the reasons why. If you don't agree with those reasons that's your problem.

Quote:
Cat people are the strangest on earth...I used to think I was a "cat person", now I know I just like cats. Hmph.
You poor pathetic thing. Cat people are not like you at all, thank God.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:59 PM

Default Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Just do it! And have fun. It's your life! I just don't agree that you can't make real friends just aquaintances when you live here in Florida full time.
Can I assume you are also retired, age 66 and found real true friends there in FL? If so, where did you meet them? Are they singles or couples?

I didn't post that as an original thought since I never lived there. It was not my personal experience. Several other people posted the problem with making real true friends at my age. I also got a few of those private messages.
Not only did I read it here, but we were also told that by those we know who moved back here. Every friend they made there was superficial. And like that other poster wrote, if you ever need them, they fade away quickly. One of the problems seems to be ill health in my age group. These people are not looking to meet new people or go out with friends. And if you lose your spouse, the married couples drop you. You no longer fit. This often goes for younger people also. It happens here all the time. In FL, you suddenly find yourself in your 70s or 80 and perhaps in failing health... and alone. Now this is what I read here and what I was told. I know Robert's mother died at 91 and didn't have one true friend when she died. She was very lonely there. She lived by a canal in Bradenton, not far from the airport in a 55+ community.

Quote:
That just isn't true. I have made many real friends, and many of the people we have met here that we have made friends with have a lot of the same interests.
Are you over 65 and fully retired? Where did you meet these people who became real true friends? Not to get personal but what interests do you have in common with them? Keep in mind, friends and ending up alone in old age isn't the only reason we decided to keep this place as home base.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I need to expand here on the "gated community" concept for those who are unaware & think it's "real."

Gated communities here in Florida are not all created equal & your only as safe in one as fast as the gate code changes or how good the guard is.....

I've worked in a "gated" community where if you drive in behind the next car, you're in. If you work for a company & have the company gate code, you're in. Many criminals realize how to get around where the "gate ends...." because some of them end in wooded lots where all you have to do is walk through the woods.
My SIL's gate/fence is like that. It goes around in a C shape. Anyone can enter from the wooded side where the lake is. There is crime in her gated community in The Villages. Not violent crime, but break-ins where everything of value is stolen.

Quote:
These types of "gated" communities are like pool gates for children, they just "buy time" as a deterrent, not fool proof.

If you live in a gated community with a 24 hour guard you're doing better in regards to "gate safety" but with the way criminals rob banks & pharmacies, I wouldn't consider that to be the end all either.

Add alarms & dogs to all of the above & you're factoring in more issues for the criminals to deal with....

Nosy neighbors are good but they have to go to bed sometimes too!
Yes... but the security lights and the dogs don't go to bed. They're on duty 24/7/365. Between the three of these large dogs, the racket can be heard way down and across the road. Their owners would have to be dead not to hear them. Anyway we're insured in the rare event someone has the b@ll$ to come down this private entrance road at night, take their chances with the barking dogs and the angry neighbors they just woke up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area