U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 PM

6,370 posts, read 4,380,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaa View Post
Just curious, would you make a decision to move to Florida based on comments made here?.
Never. And I wouldn't make a decision on comments made by friends and family alone either. Gather as much information from everywhere that you can. Cover all bases from the cost of car insurance to if the house you like is in a storm surge area. Digest it all, talk it over with your spouse, your family and friends. Think it over. Recheck facts and reject rumors. Talk to people in your age group who both love living there and who returned to their home states. Moving to another state isn't something to be taken lightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 PM

17 posts, read 16,800 times
I am using this forum to gain more information and take into consideration that some people will be unhappy where ever they are. I've lived in Florida and enjoyed it. We lived inland near Orlando and made frequent trips to the beaches (Daytona, Coco). We know not to live by a lot of water where alligators and snakes are prominent. It is a fact in Florida that there are alligators and there are snakes. I will tell you that except for the hurricanes when there was a lot of flooding, we didn't see snakes and only traces where alligators had been. We found it to be like a perpetual vacation because we had sunny days as the norm not the hit and miss we get here in Indiana. We are moving back but like the west gulf coast area for the warmer water and great beaches. There tends to be a lot of traffic during spring break times and from snowbirds. We had our "bug man" come in once a month because due to the lack of freezing weather, there are bugs but if you treat your home and yard - not bad. Red ants are an issue if you like to go barefooted like we do but you just have to be careful. So, anywhere you go there are pros and cons but we found Florida to have more pros and we are lifetime Hoosiers. Taxes and weather are definitely better than Indiana. Cost-of-living equals out with comparing license plate fees, taxes, insurance, and income taxes. Attitude is everything so if you do your homework, take a couple of visits in the area you are interested in, and be careful of the schools (many are really overcrowded and we chose private Christian then switched to a public one after thoroughly investigating scores, etc.) Good Luck.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
good you pointed that out, i was really feeling sorry for the husband. goes back to the old saying, why do men die before women? they want to.
Is your husband still alive? Fortunately mine still is and he's doing quite well.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debidew View Post
We are moving back but like the west gulf coast area for the warmer water and great beaches.
You didn't say were you're moving back to. Back to FL? Are you leaving FL for your home state?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I also think alot of people want a suger coated point of view, they want the politically correct version and not a realistic view sometimes. What some see as negative others view as realistic based on experience.
BRAVO! You said it. What I saw as nothing more than the reality of the situation for husband and myself, a few others saw as being negative. A few were even offended that someone would dare post the truth of what they found after months of research.

Paradise on earth doesn't exist. That comes in the hereafter........

Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachymom View Post
But, please do your own research and come to your own conclusion and do what is best for you!
And when they take your advice, if it isn't what you think they should have come up with, people here shouldn't insult them or accuse them of being negative, or troublemakers for being honest.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
after the 4 days of temps below 25, the sleet on Tuesday that never went away and now the snowfall of about 2-7 inches across the DFW area
my husband might very well want to buy a winter house in FL
Now is the time to do it. It's a buyer's market. May as well take advantage while you can. Look for a good buyers agent as they look out for you, not the seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area