Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:31 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times

Advertisements

I am sorry that you feel the way you do. LWR has much to appreciate and many people do love the place. Have you considered moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:11 AM

169 posts, read 396,384 times
Personally,living close to LWR,I love the area.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:13 AM

809 posts, read 1,180,837 times
Are all communities in LWR under the same "one size fits all" rules and regulations? Or are some a little bit more relaxed and another more strict? Can you give specifics to what exactly you don't like?

Old 03-05-2011, 07:54 AM

Each of the villages (and each of the condos) started out with pretty much the same basic rules (with some variations between them) and, of course, once the developer handed over control to the owners, those owners make changes as they see fit. I can certainly understand why some people appreciate deed restrictions and why others think of them as a huge assault on their freedom. It is in each buyer's best interest to read the info before purchasing but almost no one does. In most cases, that is because people look at the area and think, "yeah, I want to live like this" and they do what they need to do to get along and don't have a problem. Others just can't stand the idea that their neighbors (particularly the ones who get involved in wanting to actually live by those rules) are having a say in their lives. I get that but, like it or not, those people (the ones who get letters) are almost always the ones who are in the wrong, not the people who ask them to live by the rules of the community. The beauty of our area is that there are places, all within a relatively close area, where buyers can find the lifestyle they want at a pretty reasonable price.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 AM

105 posts, read 146,365 times
Default The manual

Would anyone like to read the restrictions? I Can certainly post them online. It's 1 DVD in size and we get one every single year because changes are in them every single year. This way people can read it before they buy. It's a daunting effort. Did I mention that it comes on a DVD? I will post this on line and give out a link.

As far as freedom goes, did I mention that you cannot alter your bushes, plant a tree or even change the lighting aspects of your home? We're not talking about unsightly things that lower the already lower and hurt property values of LWR, we're talking about really classy and nice additions to your property. Nope, not allowed.

Simply put, if you wish to move into a place that you cannot change, it's for you. Seriously, you cannot even change the grass type without approval.

It reminds me of the neighborhood in "A Wrinkle in Time" called Camazotz. In every way, LWR is Identical to Camazotz.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:03 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,427 times
Sarasotalaw
Have you thought about becoming more involved in the decision making of your community? Perhaps running for office or joining a committee involved in the aspects that bother you the most. I read the rules for my particular HOA(not in Lakewood Ranch) prior to buying cover to cover. There were limitations such as only using window coverings that showed white from the outside- such as lined curtains or shades. I thought it was a little weird but understand it maintains a certain consistency in my condo development.They limit subletting and rentals but do allow them. They also dictate the weight of dogs allowed(my dog just squeaks by). Different condo subdivisons dictate the paint color of the villas. There is a committee that meets monthly to review requests for exterior work. Single family homes can do what they want within reason (after passing the committee review)- as a matter of fact they have contests each month and award a token award for the most attractive landscaping. The condos are more limited since the development plants, mows and maintains the outside of the properties.I don't mind these rules because the development is well maintained. Each person has to decide what he/she can live with.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM

You can post the docs as much as you like but you are missing the point. You appear to be trying to get people to agree with you that the rules are too numerous and too controlling. OK, so let's say that happens...then what? How does that help you? There are thousands of home owners who live in LWR who don't feel the same way. Neither fact proves anything except that different people like different things and you don't like LWR. So, instead of flaming the people who do like it, I'll ask you again...are you planning to move? Stay and accept the rules you've already agreed to live by when you did move? Get on a board and do what you can to make it better?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:38 AM

43 posts, read 80,029 times
Hello I lurk quite often but I felt the need to chime in on this one. I live in Long Island and as much as I always will have a love for it, I can't wait to get the heck out of here for various reasons. One is watching your neighborhood crumble around you...falling down fences, people who don't clean up their leaves before winter, and hideous cheesy new decor that's just nasty.
I've worked in construction in NY so while I do understand Sarasotalaw's disdain over some of the HOA rules, anytime you purchase in a community you need to have a full understanding of the the laws before you sign that contract down to the gnome on your front step.
It is very common in my understanding that unhappy homeowners form their own groups to combat the HOA that way if most folks feel the same way as you then maybe a change is in order. With that being said keep it reasonable and the association will hopefully comply. I look forward to one day living in Lakewood Ranch and enjoying the beauty, your music on main, your farmers markets, parks...all the positives, cause believe me it could be worse!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissycat1970 View Post
Hello I lurk quite often but I felt the need to chime in on this one. I live in Long Island and as much as I always will have a love for it, I can't wait to get the heck out of here for various reasons. One is watching your neighborhood crumble around you...falling down fences, people who don't clean up their leaves before winter, and hideous cheesy new decor that's just nasty.
I've worked in construction in NY so while I do understand Sarasotalaw's disdain over some of the HOA rules, anytime you purchase in a community you need to have a full understanding of the the laws before you sign that contract down to the gnome on your front step.
It is very common in my understanding that unhappy homeowners form their own groups to combat the HOA that way if most folks feel the same way as you then maybe a change is in order. With that being said keep it reasonable and the association will hopefully comply. I look forward to one day living in Lakewood Ranch and enjoying the beauty, your music on main, your farmers markets, parks...all the positives, cause believe me it could be worse!

Come lurk some more! Nice Post!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 PM

105 posts, read 146,365 times
Default The Point

See for yourself. Make notes of the number of children "Playing" in the neighborhoods. Make notes of the number of "Tree forts" and "club houses" that you used to grow up with. You're only allowed to have outdoor fun at the Parks, Adventure and Summerfield.

Look, I wish it wasn't like this as I have 3 children. This place is more like a "retirement" community where people would rather stay in-doors. It's obvious why this is and it's because of the strict HOA.

Before you buy, come and look around. It's pretty, but it's pretty dead. I used the words PLASTIC and STERILE before, but it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area