Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 5,468 times

Advertisements

My head is spinning from reading all the threads. My heart was set on finding a historic little bungalow for my daughter and I and then I started reading all these crime postings. It's a rather deflating feeling. Hookers on indian beach? Gangs? I'm coming from a place where I have never had to lock my car or my doors so I'm scrutinizing the postings as best I can without putting myself into a state of paranoia.

Here's the lowdown...I am a single mom with a 16 yr. old daughter and we are considering relocating to the Bradenton-Sarasota area. I have friends in the area, but they are limited in their scope of neighborhood knowledge.

We've lived in Orange County, Ca. so we're familiar with life in the material fast lane. I was raised as a surf brat on the gold coast of Southern Cal. and the beaches of Kauai. We have spent the last 7 years on a horse ranch in Wyoming in a wonderful small town. I know...I know..but people and communities are basically the same everywhere. You get the good and the not-so good.

I'd would really like my daughter to attend a visual/performing arts high school because her plan is to continue in a V/PA college. I am an alternative healer and educator.

I'd like to purchase a home in a safe neighborhood that would allow her to attend one of these schools. And, I am planning on moving my healing arts business so it would be great to live in an area where I can offer my skills and knowledge and pay the bills.

Having lived in a master-planned community in O.C., Ca., I don't much care for cookie-cutter housing. I'd prefer an older home that has been kept up with character, but it does have to be in neighborhood where I won't need a gun (remember I've been living in Wyoming).

Both my daugher and I are artsy types and we are well-travelled and rather like a multi-cultural mesh. The stepford thing is not for us. I would love some idea of the "community vibe." Also, is the area open to holistic practice (ayruveda, cranio-sacral??) I've been successful in culling my practice in a rather conservative area of Wyoming and I believe it will do well there. www.healyourslf.com

Gratitude for your knowledge and sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
When someone posts a message about crime or "safe" areas, the subject naturally centers around crime but that doesn't mean that our area is riddled with criminal or gang activity. No area is free of crime but very few areas are completely unsafe. You don't need a gun to live here but, obviously, some people feel more comfortable having one. You could say the same about almost every community in the country.
The things you've mentioned are definitely available to you here. You haven't mentioned a price range so it's difficult to know how accessible homes like these might be for you but they are definitely here.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healyourslf View Post
My head is spinning from reading all the threads. My heart was set on finding a historic little bungalow for my daughter and I and then I started reading all these crime postings. It's a rather deflating feeling. Hookers on indian beach? Gangs? I'm coming from a place where I have never had to lock my car or my doors so I'm scrutinizing the postings as best I can without putting myself into a state of paranoia.

Here's the lowdown...I am a single mom with a 16 yr. old daughter and we are considering relocating to the Bradenton-Sarasota area. I have friends in the area, but they are limited in their scope of neighborhood knowledge.

We've lived in Orange County, Ca. so we're familiar with life in the material fast lane. I was raised as a surf brat on the gold coast of Southern Cal. and the beaches of Kauai. We have spent the last 7 years on a horse ranch in Wyoming in a wonderful small town. I know...I know..but people and communities are basically the same everywhere. You get the good and the not-so good.

I'd would really like my daughter to attend a visual/performing arts high school because her plan is to continue in a V/PA college. I am an alternative healer and educator.

I'd like to purchase a home in a safe neighborhood that would allow her to attend one of these schools. And, I am planning on moving my healing arts business so it would be great to live in an area where I can offer my skills and knowledge and pay the bills.

Having lived in a master-planned community in O.C., Ca., I don't much care for cookie-cutter housing. I'd prefer an older home that has been kept up with character, but it does have to be in neighborhood where I won't need a gun (remember I've been living in Wyoming).

Both my daugher and I are artsy types and we are well-travelled and rather like a multi-cultural mesh. The stepford thing is not for us. I would love some idea of the "community vibe." Also, is the area open to holistic practice (ayruveda, cranio-sacral??) I've been successful in culling my practice in a rather conservative area of Wyoming and I believe it will do well there. www.healyourslf.com

Gratitude for your knowledge and sharing.
Hi there! Sarasota will be perfect for you. It has a long history of being the "cultural coast" and over decades has become better and better. There is also a LOT of "alternative healing" here, including colleges that teach it. You will be in your element.

You must remember that sometimes when you are reading stats or postings about crime it doesn't always tell the whole story. Sarasota really only has one really "bad" area, loosely bounded by 10th st to the south, 301 to the east, almost up to Univ. Parkway on the north and the US 41 (the trail) to the west. However, west of the Trail is all very nice. I don't know what your price range is - do you want to rent or buy? There are some pretty good deals around now.

Website for Natural Awakenings:

Natural Awakenings

The actual print version of this magazine is chock full of holistic and alternative healing ads and articles. I am a native Floridian, and I love it here. It's a small but cosmopolitan artsy little city with big city amenities.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Gypsy gave you some good advice, as usual. I was also going to mention Natural Awakenings as well.

Since you don't know the area well I would highly suggest renting for a while to get a feel for things and a "lay of the land". Once you've been here a while and are able to drive around and ask questions I think you'll feel more comfortable with the buying process.

What I would suggest you do now is go get qualified, if you need a mortgage. Then you'll know what you can afford and what you're comfortable spending. After that you can focus more on the right neighborhoods.

Many of the historical homes are located downtown and are on the expensive side. You could however possibly find a little "cracker house" in Pinecraft, close to Bahia Vista St. Many of the homes in that area were built by the Amish and some still live around there.

My oldest daughter is into the arts and fits in quite nicely with the "Ringling School crowd".

Like Gypsy, I'm a native Floridian and love the area. I think this area will be a great fit for you

Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Thank you for your responses. I inferred the "gun-toting" analogy because I have been around a lot of ranching, cowboys and NRA supporters for the past years. I'm more of a peaceful warrior, rather the "town witchdoctor" - no easy task where allopathy is the magic bullet.

The socio-cultural climate here is a mixed one from very wealthy to extremely poor. All the kids attend the same school which makes for a diversified upbringing. I suppose the contemporary issues impacting communities are the same everywhere - just more obvious with increased population density.

I eyed a couple of places in the indian beach/sapphire shores area and in west bradenton that are what I am looking for dwelling-wise. I'm going to take a trip out there in April to visit friends and check things out.

Also, I was thinking of purchasing a residence that would allow me to run my business out of it (have a separate building and/or area in the house that I will transform into the business.) I am seeking your thoughts and opinions. Do you think the local population is more apt to go to a "local" office/establishment for therapies- something more clinical? Or, are they drawn to spas? Would they embrace an intimate, zen-like environment where the whole of the place is completely theirs to relax in during an appointment session?

Thanks for your input. It's just good to hear your positive and supportive comments. I am really looking forward to this next adventure in my life and to serving the community out there.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Indian Beach and Sapphire Shores are great - I love those neighborhoods. We live a little north of there in Whitfield Estates, I love it here. All price points represented and overall less money than the other aforementioned neighborhoods. I think somewhere along the north Trail is a better bet for you rather than Bradenton - it's where all three colleges are, plus Ringling Museum and the East West College of Natural Medicine. North Trail neighborhoods are convenient to downtown and the beaches. Just stay west of the Trail. Not sure about what restrictions will apply to practicing out of your home. I am thinking you will want an actual "storefront" somewhere nearby. Might make purchasing your home easier to keep your work separate.

Good luck, feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Not sure what your priced range is but there are a few homes in Towles Court for sale: towles court artist colony You could have your business downstairs and live upstairs. That would cut down on the expense of having to rent a place out for business.

Burns Court would be another similar option to Towles Court. Both of these areas would allow this type of business, where most/many other areas would not.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
I've noticed a trend around our area over the past few years where chiropractors have teamed up with various types of alternative therapy providers under one roof. I'm not sure what, if anything, that means but it might be something you could look into and, I would assume, it would be both cheaper than leasing your own storefront and it would give you immediate and ready access to clients.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
^They have one of those right on Cortez around 43rd St W.

What you'll hear about Bradenton is "east Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch" or "northwest Bradenton" or even "the Island". though I think the Island is probably pricey. I don't know for sure though. Holmes Beach, Bradenton Beach, Anna Maria are all on the Island. Commuting from or to there can be difficult also.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 AM

Again, gratitude for all the positive responses. I've been looking at threads on here. Very interesting responses. I believe people exude what's within...lol. Lot's of fear out there and will not buy into it.I am following my heart in this decision to move there. I am just honing in on the perfect area which will catalyze my ability to thrive and give back to the community.

I am sometimes amazed at how quickly the universe responds...feeling the gears being greased.

I found Towles Court googling "art areas" online and it has a good feel. I always loved Laguna Beach, Ca. but it began to lose its authentic bohemian charm when high-end retailers began swarming the frontage.

On the chiropractic fusion...yes, that seems to be happening everywhere. Chiropractors have made the successful transition into the mainstream and are very well accepted these days. I remember when people thought they were quacks. Then the acupuncturists...the traditional chinese medicine/herbalist...homeopathy...naturopathy. And now...practitioners like me who combine techniques and teachings that have yet to reach the mainstream.

So what about Booker High and their performing arts program? I have heard good things with a peppering of "well...there's been some issues in the area" kind of innuendos. Can some explain in full detail? It will not turn me off...if anything it will make me think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area