Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I love this. I am censored but I can't DM the moderator to find out why. I must have hit someone's nerve although I have absolutely no idea why or how. So, just wondering, how am I supposed to avoid doing it again? Brilliant!
That's strange. Usually you can see the Mod that gave the infraction. You might want to DM Keeper. She oversees this area. I'm sure she'd be able to explain or find the mod who gave the infraction. I believe Nanacy the Reader is the actual Mod for this section though. You could try her as well. Or Faithful Frank, he's always very fair.

As long as you're talking about issues and not personally attacking someone I would think you'd be OK. Seems that's where most infractions come from. Oh and advertising.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:55 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
i think if the moderator was going to eliminate a post it should be one that brings in a racist twist to the discussion like justnancy. up until that post this was a discussion about gun control and sb234. it appears that she was trolling for a reaction regarding race by bringing up blacks and jews. if that is not the race card i dont know what is. this is continually done to take the focus off the subject and is getting old.

since she is so defensive of obama, i am still waiting for the list of laws that obama supported that helps gun owners.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:40 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
i think if the moderator was going to eliminate a post it should be one that brings in a racist twist to the discussion like justnancy. up until that post this was a discussion about gun control and sb234. it appears that she was trolling for a reaction regarding race by bringing up blacks and jews. if that is not the race card i dont know what is. this is continually done to take the focus off the subject and is getting old.

since she is so defensive of obama, i am still waiting for the list of laws that obama supported that helps gun owners.
Yes, and I still wait for a simple..... Hey that was off base and I didnt intend to direct it toward anyone.

But hey.... im still waiting for change too and not holding my breath

BTW SB234 was postponed as the introducing Senator was sick, and could not present the bill on the floor. I am awaiting email as to when it will be on the schedule again.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
If people think I was race baiting, I can't see why I should continue to post. When I don't, however, I'm accused of backing off or not having the "social graces" to respond. I can't win! We were attacked on Sept 11, 2001 and for several years we heard/read about the alerts like "orange alert" and so on. In other words, let's check the news to see how frightened we should be today. Yet people weren't screaming about the 2nd Amendment and carrying around weapons.

Of course there's always someone who will insult me or suggest my posts be removed because he disagrees with me. Also, I am sick of people saying I am "defensive of Obama" when I point out the obvious. I don't support everything he does (or doesn't do) and, just because I state a fact, it doesn't mean I'm argumentive or a troll. That's ridiculous. I only asked why people are so eager to pass this law and mentioned race/religion because of the feedback I've gotten around here. If I stayed home and lived in my own world (which sometimes I wish I did) then I wouldn't have raised the subject.

gettingofjersey...in 2009, Obama signed the bill that allows people to carry loaded guns in National Parks. I guess that's in case Bambi sneaks up on you while you're having a family picnic.

So let's remove race or religion from the discussion and start this conversation:

How will Open Carry change your life? Why is it so important to you? How many people here supported the Patriot Act, which stripped away more freedoms than any act I recall in my lifetime, but think a ban on semi-automatic weapons is unConstitutional?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:21 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
JustNancy, my message to you yesterday was removed but the point I tried to make was that I don't think there is a correlation between Obama (as a black president) and this change to the gunlaw here in Florida, but I do believe that there has been an increased interest in gun ownership and gun rights over the past couple of years as a reaction to the perception that a liberal, democratic president in conjunction with a liberal, democratic congress (at the time), might result in a reduction or curtailment in an individual's right to keep and/or bear arms. Not a race thing, a political thing that just happened to coincide with the election of a black president. As I said in my earlier message, the move by the Obama administration yesterday to stop defending the Defense of Marriage Act (a law) because the president has a personal struggle with the issue, does demonstrate that the concern about gun rights was not completely out of line. Whether it is right or wrong for the president to order the justice department to stop defending federal law is debatable but the fact that he did it does give one pause about other things he doesn't happen to like. I am not, however, diminishing the fact that there is racism and bigotry still in our society. That is undeniable.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 PM

"How will Open Carry change your life? Why is it so important to you?"

Back to the defensive, still dodging the race card you dropped and still derailing the thread with off topic, unrelated issues. I wont continue on with you Nancy, I think your posts are a clear indication as to why

Remind me not to play cards with you again....

Old 02-24-2011, 02:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
No one still answered the question why do you feel the need to be armed at all times?

I have no issues with someone owning a gun for protection. But keep your gun in your home.

Why the need to go to Publix armed?

Or to eat in a restaurant armed?

Are you that fearful that you will run across a problem?

How come so many can live in another state and than move to FL and then have to get a CCW permit and walk around with guns?

When they didn't do that in their home state?

I gave an example of an elderly couple I met who were retired and in their 70s. They lived most of their life in suburban NYC(with no guns) yet both walk around with guns in FL.

I have concerns when people who may not be properly trained have weapons in public places.

And why someone feels the need to be armed to have lunch in a safe area is beyond me. If you feel that unsafe than maybe you need to move.

I can understand why the need for protection in their own home. I don't get nor do I like that people who may or may know how to handle a weapon go into public places with them.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No one still answered the question why do you feel the need to be armed at all times?

I have no issues with someone owning a gun for protection. But keep your gun in your home.

Why the need to go to Publix armed?

Or to eat in a restaurant armed?

Are you that fearful that you will run across a problem?

How come so many can live in another state and than move to FL and then have to get a CCW permit and walk around with guns?

When they didn't do that in their home state?

I gave an example of an elderly couple I met who were retired and in their 70s. They lived most of their life in suburban NYC(with no guns) yet both walk around with guns in FL.

I have concerns when people who may not be properly trained have weapons in public places.

And why someone feels the need to be armed to have lunch in a safe area is beyond me. If you feel that unsafe than maybe you need to move.

I can understand why the need for protection in their own home. I don't get nor do I like that people who may or may know how to handle a weapon go into public places with them.
Sean, I think I answered the question. I don't feel it is necessary for me to carry or not carry a gun, and I discussed in detail my thoughts on the subject. On the subject of not carrying in NYC, and carrying here - I don't know that that is true. I go around everywhere and I rarely see anyone carry a gun here. I think they would have the same motivation in both places. I think the exposure opportunity to crime in NYC is greater than it is here.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:31 PM

Dublin,
This isnt about why CCW holders carry or when and why. My intent was to try to understand rational or irrational opinions about the original topic. I am more than willing to discuss your previous post with you in another thread more suited for that topic. This thread has been derailed enough.

I am a CCW holder and outwardly expressed my opinion and concerns with open carry. I didnt post Whoopie we can open carry if this passes. And it certainly wasnt a macho "hey screw the people at Englewood library im going there with an unconcealed weapon because I can" thread. This thread went south for the winter, so I am leaving it alone. I dont want to argue for the sake of arguement, I was looking for honest opinions and concerns. I dont think this can continue in a mature adult conversation, so this is it for me. Thanks for honest opinions and feedback to those that gave it

Old 02-24-2011, 03:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
So you can't answer a simple question?

Why the need to be armed at all times?

Not surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area