Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times

Advertisements

The Florida Senate votes tomorrow on SB234. This will give Florida residents with a concealed weapons permit the right to carry openly in any place it is legal to carry.

This is not a political discussion so please dont turn it into one. There is a high probability that it is going to pass and I am curious how the people of this area will react when they see people carrying weapons in the stores, etc.

If you have a CCW will you open carry, if so , why?
If you are anti gun how will you react, and why?

Will you be comfortable with it, will you glare at people in disbelief, will you not care and life goes on as normal? Im just trying to feel the pulse of the west coast to see what the people think of this, good, bad or indifferent.

I have a CCW permit. I do not care if people open carry so my life will go on as normal. I personally can't see myself carrying openly in my day to day life. On rare occassion I might if I am in the woods doing photography but I cannot see it for grocery shopping, home depot, the beach etc. I will carry concealed as usual even if the law permits open carry.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
it will make it easier for me to keep track of the ass***es around me.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
further to my previous post, it's an insult to law abiding citizens and a great encouragement to the cromagnons around us. besides, if you can see them it makes it easier to take them away from them and beat them over the head with them.

Last edited by photoman_6; 02-21-2011 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-22-2011, 03:41 AM

Im curious how it is an insult to law abiding citizens? If someone does open carry they will need to do go through all the legal channels to do it.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
the only ones that will have a reaction to open carry are criminals, little kids and immature, sissy adults. anyone born here and knows the rights that this country was founded on will realize this is just a restoration of the rights we are entitled to under the second amendment.

even though come july i will be able to open carry i will still conceal. i would not want to open carry and then have to use my handgun on some one that is intent on taking it away and hitting me in the head with it.

i think it is better that the criminals not know who is prepared to defend themselves. i think anyone advertising stands the chance of being taken out since they are a threat to a bad guys intent.

last i read there are over a million ccw permits issued here in florida. thats alot of "aholes".

Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I'll be honest, it will make me nervous...at least until it becomes common place. I just have a feeling that, in the majority of cases, the people who carry openly will tend to be the ones who are more likely to mishandle a weapon or do something stupid with it. If it is OK to carry a concealed weapon, for what reason would someone carry openly except to say "look at me...I'm bad"?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
i dont think it will become common place.

it is now legal to open carry when fishing in florida. i dont and have not seen anyone else that does. and it is a fact alot of fishermen are carrying.

what this bill when passed will do is keep someone with a ccw from getting into trouble if his/her shirt blows up and exposes the legal concealed handgun that is tucked in the pants.

if it were not for the proliferation of legal guns here in florida the crime would be unchartable. it would be like ny city and nj, where only the bad guys have guns.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,337 times
Honestly, the sight of guns makes me nervous. Don't know why, but that's the way it is...
So if people do get the right to open carry, I'm not sure I'll feel any safer or any more in danger but I do know that I will be more stressed mentally from the sight of an exposed gun.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I'll be honest, it will make me nervous...at least until it becomes common place. I just have a feeling that, in the majority of cases, the people who carry openly will tend to be the ones who are more likely to mishandle a weapon or do something stupid with it. If it is OK to carry a concealed weapon, for what reason would someone carry openly except to say "look at me...I'm bad"?
I appreciate your honesty and maturity. I agree with Jersey 100% and as I stated before open carry is not a good fit for me unless in the middle of no where doing photography. There is a large responsibility having a CCW permit and carying a weapon. I cant see poeple that do decide to open carry using it as an ego booster or misusing their weapon. They are law abiding citizens and unlike criminals we are all on file with local and federal authorities. Violating the rights of your permit has severe penalties and I dont see anyone willing to take that risk being flashy or arrogant, that is a dangerous proposition.

I have never lived in an area that had open carry, this is why I am curious of how people feel about it. I am also curious how many will actually open carry if allowed by law to do so. Many gun forums have mixed emotions about it, as do I. I can see an out cry from people like the previous poster who thinks their own rights are more important than everyone elses though

Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
if it were not for the proliferation of legal guns here in florida the crime would be unchartable.
do you really believe that?

why would anyone want to move to a state with that level of crime--or vacation there...
my daughter and SIL who live in Nokomis would probably laugh at the idea they should get guns and even apply for the open-carry permit to protect themselves...
Texas has the right to carry and I don't believe that average people with guns are the reason my neighborhood has low crime...

there may be SOME areas where people can and do use their LEGAL guns to protect themselves but that just means the efforts to control ILLEGAL ownership are weaker than boiled spaghetti...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area