Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
St Augustine Art and Music Information - OldCity.com

I really think it comes down to quality. The Ancient City relies upon weekend and daily tourists so the music scene has to be of high quality to get the business.
Jax is 30 minutes up the road with all the attractions a big city offers.
It also (Jacksonville) is an inland city and thus is at least 10 degrees hotter than hot during the summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:20 PM

493 posts, read 1,386,672 times
Default Sarasota vs. St. Augustine

I personally would not pick any of the areas above say Orlando. Blanket statement I know and just an opinion but, weather in Sarasota is better in winter, spring, and summer. Fall maybe a little more like the north but the beaches on the gulf side are just better! If you are trying to get away from the north and the weather patterns associated with the north, than the Sarasota area becomes a clearer choice. Look at the weather history within the last 5-7 years, frost is dipping down further and further every year deeper into Florida.

When we started visiting Florida in spring years ago, we always noticed that by the time we made it to Tampa the weather had changed temperature wise from cool to warm and frankly, just beautiful. Good luck in your comparison!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:00 PM

52 posts, read 101,282 times
Thanks guys. I gathered from several other posts that Sarasota was a good music scene, I just wonder what kind of music, though. I mean, there's at least somewhat of a variety. Drum circles on the beach, especially Siesta Key, sounds utterly amazing. I wonder if they are local, unsigned bands...any alternative styles in music other than the typical radio and crowd-friendly stuff. I do love me some blues, and some classical etc. I was just hoping for an underground scene. Buskers are nice. Especially when they get creative and busk with a trumpet or a flute.
Well, I'll undoubtedly visit St. Augustine before making my decision. And a couple other places, but there's some things that just don't become apparent during a short period of time.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM

Oh! And, as usual it seems, SoFla your link was extremely helpful, I have googled Sarasota local music and Sarasota music scene in the past and got nothing! So this is a huge help. I'll do more link clicking in a bit... thanks again..

Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyRice! View Post
Thanks guys. I gathered from several other posts that Sarasota was a good music scene, I just wonder what kind of music, though. I mean, there's at least somewhat of a variety. Drum circles on the beach, especially Siesta Key, sounds utterly amazing. I wonder if they are local, unsigned bands...any alternative styles in music other than the typical radio and crowd-friendly stuff. I do love me some blues, and some classical etc. I was just hoping for an underground scene. Buskers are nice. Especially when they get creative and busk with a trumpet or a flute.
Well, I'll undoubtedly visit St. Augustine before making my decision. And a couple other places, but there's some things that just don't become apparent during a short period of time.
More links for you:

Sarasota Florida - This Week In Sarasota (http://www.thisweekinsarasota.com/content.cfm?ContentCatID=4 - broken link)

Sarasota Music kicking ass « Finch House Records .com

I guess it all boils down to what you want from an area. Don't get me wrong, St. Augustine is a charming little city. I do love visiting, but for myself, love living here in Sarasota, it fulfills more of what I want on a day-to-day basis. Best to visit both areas for a good amount of time and weigh the pros and cons of each.

Hope some of my posts have helped somewhat!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:17 PM

192 posts, read 496,807 times
Keep in mind that if this post were on the St. Augustine forum, (I guess it would have to be Jacksonville) the answers would be pretty much opposite. This IS the Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice area forum and most of the people posting here have already chosen Sarasota.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:40 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne4t View Post
Keep in mind that if this post were on the St. Augustine forum, (I guess it would have to be Jacksonville) the answers would be pretty much opposite. This IS the Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice area forum and most of the people posting here have already chosen Sarasota.
Yes, I think that goes without saying.....

Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 AM

yeah, I'm still researching by buttcheeks off, but even biased points of view help out. I'm still looking into both and surrounding areas, but not finding any tie-breakers, I suppose that will be when it's time to visit. For one thing, haughty, annoying relatives that live in Sarasota are a big negative, though I'm pretty sure I could live there and almost never see them, but it'd still be nice if they just weren't there at all. haha I'll take a trip to the Jacksonville thread as well...

I saw a picture of the beach in St. Augustine after a hurricane. Holy wow. It looked amazing. ly scary. I still have a lot of research to do on my own, but I'm still going to be an annoying poster lol Just doing research on my own towns or places that I am familiar with sheds new light on the area.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
More links for you:

Sarasota Florida - This Week In Sarasota (http://www.thisweekinsarasota.com/content.cfm?ContentCatID=4 - broken link)

Sarasota Music kicking ass « Finch House Records .com

I guess it all boils down to what you want from an area. Don't get me wrong, St. Augustine is a charming little city. I do love visiting, but for myself, love living here in Sarasota, it fulfills more of what I want on a day-to-day basis. Best to visit both areas for a good amount of time and weigh the pros and cons of each.

Hope some of my posts have helped somewhat!
Oh yeah, I did some thorough searching on the local music scene the other day and came upon the finch house records site and a few other related sites. A lot of great local music. Not much in the way of good metal, but that could just be the source. I was pleased to see some bluegrass and folk in there. I spent an entire afternoon sampling songs from the bands there. Now I absolutely adore The Equines. A seriously great band.

St. Augustine's site for local music is under construction, but searching ads in craigslist led me to believe that there are quite a few little hip joints and a lot of self-proclaimed talented musicians seeking collaboration.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 PM

10 posts, read 17,066 times
Thanks Big House and Peter the Brit! I just lost a 6 figure job today in Wisconsin. Really bummed. Your debate is making me smile though! I grew up in Orlando and haven't lived here since 1995. I want to come home. However, I am not sure about coming back to Orlando. I am pondering St. Aug. I am open though. I don't mind hearing the pluses and minuses from Real Estate agents. Generally, they are in the "know". What is crime like in both areas? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area