Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:53 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,100 times

Advertisements

I have another dopey question...

we have a pool cage/screened lanai dealy out there and no yard. i'm scared to put a grill out there! i am worried that it will burn a hole through the over head screen.

what do you do???

also how about a chiminea, DH wants one but they put out alot of heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,635 times
dont even sweat it. Unless the roof is about 5 feet high you can't generate enough heat. I've been cooking and smoking bbq inside a screened lanai for a year now.
enjoy and get sloppy

Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,137 times
The screen is most likely a nylon/fiberglass mix, which is not flammable. Just don't put the back of the grill up against the screen wall and you should be fine. Regarding the cage roof, you're worrying for no reason.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,084,608 times
They are having a bar-be-que festival of some sort in Punta Gorda today. I think I'll check that out for dinner tonight.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,691 times
Not to get picky, but grilling and bbq'ing are two different things.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,686 times
we have our gas grill on the lanai with screen about 8 feet from the ground above it. while it has not burned the screen when the sun is at the correct angle i can see a discoloration above the grill. it must be from all the heart healthy burgers and steaks.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:53 PM

204 posts, read 601,576 times
We have one of those black Weber gas grills that are ubiquitous at Home Depots; we keep it about 2 feet away from the cage wall for safety and there is no discoloration of the screen (sides or ceiling) after 3+ years of use.

The only real hazard is that our black lab Daisy stands outside the lanai door and risks flooding the yard with a river of drool while waiting for her snack.

Speaking of grilling, good idea! Going to hit the grocery store tonight and bring back something tasty to marinate.

HHH

Old 03-05-2011, 03:10 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,084,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
Not to get picky, but grilling and bbq'ing are two different things.
No problems! I am a bar-be-que nut - I know the difference. I have a couple different types of smokers and grilles. I live in an affluent neighborhood in Baltimore, and my wife complained that all the grilles and smokers made us look more like hill billies!

oh well, if you want good bar-be-que you have to sacrafice. low and slow. my nephew-in-law to be has won a couple national championships.

Oh nuts, I just got drool all over my chin!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 PM

913 posts, read 2,361,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
No problems! I am a bar-be-que nut - I know the difference. I have a couple different types of smokers and grilles. I live in an affluent neighborhood in Baltimore, and my wife complained that all the grilles and smokers made us look more like hill billies!

oh well, if you want good bar-be-que you have to sacrafice. low and slow. my nephew-in-law to be has won a couple national championships.

As much as I love Florida, That's one area that could use some work. Nothing like a pork shoulder sandwich from North Carolina, brisket for Texas or ribs from Memphis. Sometimes when we drive from Ohio to Sarasota. We go through Alabama to get some que. I keep wanting to stop at Jack's Old South in Ga, but can never seem to get the timing right.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:30 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post

Well then it sucks to be your wife being so concerned about "image" and all. I say do what you want and if people talk, they are going to. I'd have a meat smoker if it made the food taste better. In the northeast where I am from originally, grilling is what people consider a bbq. Theres no meat smokers up there or very few people own them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area