Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:28 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,328,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
First Street Chop House bit the dust. I've had some wonderful steak there, and some awful, also. I think that might be what killed them - inconsistency.

As for Uni - one night Cafe Epicure had an Uni Pasta special. How unusual is that! I tried it & loved it. They never did it again though - not enough people ordered it. Most people will not eat uni I'm afraid.
That's a shame. It was a nice space, and if they had ironed out the kinks, there was potential there.

Strangely, I have never tried Fleming's (we go to Roy's all the time).

I think it's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:28 AM

29 posts, read 104,467 times
you guys are bashing italian places but in sarasota we have a few good ones. Cafe Epicure has great itailian food right on main st and palm just up from the marina.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,328,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtonium View Post
you guys are bashing italian places but in sarasota we have a few good ones. Cafe Epicure has great itailian food right on main st and palm just up from the marina.
It's just something that people from a particular area enjoy doing.

Now, while it is true that Sarasota will NEVER produce a slice of pizza comparable to north Jersey, it is inane to slag 100% of the Italian food here. I have had some decent meals at Cafe Gabbiano, for example.

Just steer clear of anyplace with an early bird special, and particularly stay away from two places on 41 in Sarasota that are simply abysmal, in spite of people on the internet (cough--SHILLS--cough) saying otherwise.

I don't feel like slagging the two places, but suffice to say that they both came interent-recommended, and they are both burn and turn places catering to people who know absolutely nothing about food whatsoever, aside from the fact that it must be chewed in order to swallow it.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 AM

17,464 posts, read 38,864,396 times
Last night me and the hubs decided to try out the new "Eat Here" in downtown Sarasota. What a great place! First of all, for Sunday night, downtown was hopping, all the street parking up and down was completely filled.

Anyway, "Eat Here" is owned by the same people who own the highly rated Beach Bistro, but this is a fun, casual type of place with less expensive food, but great quality with the emphasis on fresh and local. The place itself (the old Esca) is wonderful, decorated with colorful art, lots of big glass windows, and an open deck.

The server recommended the special which was a pecan crusted mahi with some fantastic tropical sauce on it and a corn souffle - out of this world! I had panko shrimp with Asian dipping sauce and we also ordered a "Serendipity" salad which was fantastic. It is upscale yet informal (they encourage "sharing"), with a sense of humour about it. We absolutely loved it and will be back. Here is their website:

Eat Here Sarasota

Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,858,997 times
Pssssstttt....(Fleming's IS a chain. Paul Fleming owns them, as well as PF Chang's. Paul Fleming is what PF stands for.)

Old 12-05-2011, 05:04 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,127,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Pssssstttt....(Fleming's IS a chain. Paul Fleming owns them, as well as PF Chang's. Paul Fleming is what PF stands for.)
thats ok about flemings being a chain. not sure about pf changs but they do own carrabas, out back, bone fish grill and roys as well. all decent places. i think the corporate is OSI out of tampa

Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,858,997 times
I have no problem with them either, I love them both, but if you're trying to frequent the locals, it's good to know who IS local, and who's not. I was told Fleming is from Phoenix. But I don't remember who told me that. I also like bone fish grill, and outback. Outback is one of the leaders in gluten free menus.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,024,131 times
The other night, we went to Burnt Store Marina for dinner! I ordered the prime rib, and asked them to add 4 oz to the bigger cut. MMMMMmmmm good! We eat there every once in a while and the food is always good. Now that its cooling off, try the personal meatloaf!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:09 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,087,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Last night me and the hubs decided to try out the new "Eat Here" in downtown Sarasota. What a great place! First of all, for Sunday night, downtown was hopping, all the street parking up and down was completely filled.

Anyway, "Eat Here" is owned by the same people who own the highly rated Beach Bistro, but this is a fun, casual type of place with less expensive food, but great quality with the emphasis on fresh and local. The place itself (the old Esca) is wonderful, decorated with colorful art, lots of big glass windows, and an open deck.

The server recommended the special which was a pecan crusted mahi with some fantastic tropical sauce on it and a corn souffle - out of this world! I had panko shrimp with Asian dipping sauce and we also ordered a "Serendipity" salad which was fantastic. It is upscale yet informal (they encourage "sharing"), with a sense of humour about it. We absolutely loved it and will be back. Here is their website:

Eat Here Sarasota
Awesome GC. I have company coming in for NYE weekend & didn't want to bust their wallet over at Beach Bistro! Sean Murphy has always been about the food. Was also thinking of going to Blase Cafe for NYE dinner...love their martinis!!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 AM

488 posts, read 618,806 times
We love love Florida seafood but we don't want to have that style every time we go out. As a born and bred Brooklyn guy I have to say I really enjoyed a recent meal at Caragiulos downtown. We had my whole family visiting from NJ (which they quite like, thank you very much) and they all had good things to say about it.

Caragiulos Italian Restaurant - Downtown Sarasota, Florida - A Sarasota Original

My wife and I have also been frequenting The Zydeco Grill in Englewood thanks to a tip in this very thread! They have great Cajun food and any drinks are 2 for one before 6 pm The staff there is very friendly and we always have long chats with the owner.

zydecogrille.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area