Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 08:59 AM

216 posts, read 564,260 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
My wife and I are relocating to our new home in North Port. We purchased our home last fall (foreclosure) and cant wait to move. We are in Connecticut right now and we are fortunate we don't have to move from our currant residence ASAP because it is family owned and we are currently employed. My wife has had several job offers so far as she is a RN. No problem there, but I am running into a wall! I have sent out several resumes and nothing yet. I have 25 years exp. in HVAC, education, licenses, etc. Have owned my own business, and managed a company with 25 employees. I don't even expect to gain a management position, willing to start as a tech. My neighbors, who are in the construction trade and still working, tell me I shouldn't have any problems, people love that "yankee ingenuity". Im only 45 so I don't think I fall into that category of older workers having a tough time finding re-employment. I will be coming down in the next week to do some work on our house. Friends have suggested I do a "walk in" on some companies in my area vs. just email a resume. Anyone suggest any big HVAC companies in my area??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! My better half says "no job, no move"!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
That's a tough one. From a business standpoint, companies generally don't like walk-ins, but in your type of industry it may be OK. With your experience and the huge demand for HVAC needs in the south, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to find employment, but then again, I'm sure even HVAC companies are operating on very thin margins and a lean workforce. In fact, a neighbor up the street owned a small 2-truck HVAC operation for 5 yrs and he just folded last fall. Just not enough work I guess. He now works for another company.
Have you double and triple checked your resume for grammar, sentence structure, ommitting the personal junk, etc...? Seems like you should be getting at least some response. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:02 AM

216 posts, read 564,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
That's a tough one. From a business standpoint, companies generally don't like walk-ins, but in your type of industry it may be OK. With your experience and the huge demand for HVAC needs in the south, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to find employment, but then again, I'm sure even HVAC companies are operating on very thin margins and a lean workforce. In fact, a neighbor up the street owned a small 2-truck HVAC operation for 5 yrs and he just folded last fall. Just not enough work I guess. He now works for another company.
Have you double and triple checked your resume for grammar, sentence structure, ommitting the personal junk, etc...? Seems like you should be getting at least some response. Good luck!
Thanks, Harbor Hopper. I must of changed my resume a bunch of times thinking there was something wrong. My wife says give it some time as I've only been actively searching for the past few weeks. I just think of my own experience as a manager of a mid sized company. Anyone with experience always stood out in my mind and I would always try to fit them in somewhere whether I needed the help or not. Experience no matter what the trade is always tough to come by. Not sure the market in Fla. My neighbor told me in the boom, the construction industry was flooded with "hackers" because thats all there were. Now, companies are only looking for experienced professionals because work is limited and they want to make sure its done right. As for your neighbor, I know his pain. The company I managed closed after the owner passed away and I've been on my own ever since. Its very hard to make any money being self employed with 1 or 2 employees. Thats why I'm getting out!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area