Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:43 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,466 times

Advertisements

If every homeowner planted a single shade tree (or more) when their house was built, we would have tree-lined streets all over the place. Instead, we have neighborhoods that were developed in the 70's that still look desolate after 40 years.

If everyone planted a tree, what a different place SW Florida would be.

Tree-lined streets in established neighborhoods are treasured and increase property values as well as save on energy costs.

Why, in Florida, do some homeowners choose NOT to plant trees? Is there a fear that they will be blown down by hurricanes? That only palm trees are acceptable as trees in Florida? I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,212 times
our development ran a story on the horror of oak trees in it's newsletter. it had accounts of roots messing up pipes or septic tanks under ground and all these terrible and expensive things meant to scare homeowners into removing all but palm trees.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM

198 posts, read 482,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
If every homeowner planted a single shade tree (or more) when their house was built, we would have tree-lined streets all over the place. Instead, we have neighborhoods that were developed in the 70's that still look desolate after 40 years.

If everyone planted a tree, what a different place SW Florida would be.

Tree-lined streets in established neighborhoods are treasured and increase property values as well as save on energy costs.

Why, in Florida, do some homeowners choose NOT to plant trees? Is there a fear that they will be blown down by hurricanes? That only palm trees are acceptable as trees in Florida? I'm curious.
You sound like me over on the Fort Myers/Cape Coral forum. Planting trees was the first thing we did when we purchased our retirement home in Cape Coral two years ago.
We are from New England and could not believe the lack of trees in SW Florida.
I must say, that after we planted our trees a couple of other neighbors planted some.

Before

After

Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 PM

83 posts, read 178,910 times
Sometimes it boils down to yard maintenance costs (water, fertilizer,leaves, acorns etc). I really did not want hardwood type trees in my front yard,but it was a county thing. The key is to keep them far enough away from the house for pests ,when they topple over and root intrusion.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:59 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Sarasota County building code has required, for at least the last 13 years, when building a home and to get a C.O. the lot must have at least 4 trees, either existing or if the lot was clear cut, 4 new trees planted from the county approved list of trees. [There is no county ordinance that says you must keep any tree after you get a C.O. and I saw many new owners with the chain saws within months of moving in] In addition to trees, Northport also has required amount of bushes.
If you are in a community with sidewalks, the space between the sidewalk and the street is part of the county's right of way, but you can plant trees in that area if you want.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
Wellsme-Nice job! It looks terrific!

d4g4m-That's true. The only problem is that the builders would clear cut the lot and then put four small scraggly oak trees in the back yard in the middle of summer and not water them--then they'd all die.

I know Alice White over at People for Trees goes to many of the commission meetings and has made some great progress in North Port on the tree situation: People For Trees

Old 03-16-2011, 05:05 AM

it boggles my mind why people would cut down trees. large shade trees keep cooling costs down (if they shade the house) and it's so nice to sit under a shady tree. is it becuase the sandy soil here just can't support the large trees? there are massive pines here and tall palms.

such a difference on the before/after pic.the first one looked baron - i wouldn't even look at it if I was househunting but with trees it looks so inviting and pretty. nice job.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:46 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
When we bought our home, we had to cut down a large shade tree in the front yard. It's roots had completely taken over our septic tank to the point where it had to be replaced. After spending $7,200 on a new septic system, I certainly wasn't going through that again so down came that UGLY tree! The septic system takes up about 2/3 of the front yard, so no trees there!!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
When we bought our home, we had to cut down a large shade tree in the front yard. It's roots had completely taken over our septic tank to the point where it had to be replaced. After spending $7,200 on a new septic system, I certainly wasn't going through that again so down came that UGLY tree! The septic system takes up about 2/3 of the front yard, so no trees there!!
i guess maybe that's a clue for me, if i drive through a neighborhood that has no trees maybe that's an area with septic tanks? Septic tanks kind of terrify me so it could be a good visual clue while house hunting lol I don't think I could live with no trees and a septic tank.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
i guess maybe that's a clue for me, if i drive through a neighborhood that has no trees maybe that's an area with septic tanks? Septic tanks kind of terrify me so it could be a good visual clue while house hunting lol I don't think I could live with no trees and a septic tank.
It's all about personal choice/opinion. I personally like the small water bills (not paying for sewer). Many people still plant trees over the septic system, not realizing that the roots will eventually grow into the drain field/tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area