Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:46 PM

27 posts, read 67,652 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to the Sarasota/Bradenton area this summer. I am a 33 year old single mom with a 13 year old daughter. I have a very good friend who lives in Brandon but I prefer to be closer to the beach. I have a fair amount of money saved enough to live off for about 6-8 months but I keep reading about how hard it is to find a job. I worked in hotel and waited tables much of my younger life but have been doing medical office billing for the last 7 years, before that I was the receptionist. I am thinking that with the snowbirds and the aging population there would be a lot of medical office jobs. I look at craigslist and the newspapers and I do seem to see openings but then I keep reading how there will be hundreds of applicants.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 05:06 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,244,755 times
Don't move without a job. It may be hard, but you can apply from where you are. My advice is to use your friends address on your resume, and send it out everywhere, and follow up, with phone calls, emails etc. Make sure they remember your name each time you contact. Be Aggressive without being pestery. You can find emails and phone numbers that aren't provided if you google enough. You'll have to fly in for an interview or three but it will be worth it won't it? There are so many people without jobs, the market is ferociously competitive. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:54 PM

807 posts, read 1,169,727 times
I agree with Oobie about using your friend's address. When my friend moved there a few years ago one thing she was constantly told was that FL was wary of people first moving into the area, as many don't stay long. Many places won't call you for an interview if you don't have a local address.

As for your question on medical billing, that's a very niche field and if a drs office needs a biller it is one position they will definitely want to fill. Are you a coder? Certified? What field are you experienced in? I would directly contact drs offices in that field. I would e-mail your resume to all of them. And, as Oobie said, follow up with a phone call. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:47 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,244,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
I agree with Oobie about using your friend's address. When my friend moved there a few years ago one thing she was constantly told was that FL was wary of people first moving into the area, as many don't stay long. Many places won't call you for an interview if you don't have a local address.

As for your question on medical billing, that's a very niche field and if a drs office needs a biller it is one position they will definitely want to fill. Are you a coder? Certified? What field are you experienced in? I would directly contact drs offices in that field. I would e-mail your resume to all of them. And, as Oobie said, follow up with a phone call. Good luck!

Absolutely! When employers see an out of state resume, they often bypass it. It might be too hard to get you out for an interview, it's an inconvenience for them when they can pick a local. AND they NEVER take this applicant seriously in terms of relocation!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:15 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,331,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Absolutely! When employers see an out of state resume, they often bypass it. It might be too hard to get you out for an interview, it's an inconvenience for them when they can pick a local. AND they NEVER take this applicant seriously in terms of relocation!
This is super duper #1 awesomely accurate advice.

Say you're an employer. You post and excellent job. You get ten qualified resumes. Two are from out of state.

You're making eight calls, maybe.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:01 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,130,740 times
you might have a shot at a job if you do medical billing. but what others have said line something up first or determine the marketable needs of your skills first. unemployment is about 13% and jobs pay pretty low. overall cost of livng is less though.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post

That is all well and good except when they call you and say can you come in for an interview in 3 days. The OP better be prepared to hop on a plane(at her expense) and get down here.

If you lie about where you live then you better have the financial means and the time to carry it through.

You can't say "gee I'm really in NJ and can't get down for two weeks in order to get a decent airfare, can we do it then".

It can backfire on you if you lie.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:56 PM

913 posts, read 2,354,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That is all well and good except when they call you and say can you come in for an interview in 3 days. The OP better be prepared to hop on a plane(at her expense) and get down here.

If you lie about where you live then you better have the financial means and the time to carry it through.

You can't say "gee I'm really in NJ and can't get down for two weeks in order to get a decent airfare, can we do it then".

But you could say you are out of town visiting relatives.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,852,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree! I mean, any company, especially medically related, will run a background check. The very least they'll do is check your driver's license. I would know in a second if someone was from out of the area by her answers. What would you put on your resume?

RE: Medical billing - I was in the hospital last year and got bills from the hospital, the ER, the Charlotte County Fire/EMS (ambulance) along with medical labs and doctors. The companies that do billing are often in other areas, even other states. Example, the people who handle the billing for the Charlotte County Fire Dept are based in Atlanta. I made monthly payments to an office in Orlando for the ER doctors. PinPoint Radiology has its billing done in Birmingham AL. "Pathology Billing" was mailed from Vero Beach..and so on.

I like the beach too, but when someone moves to Florida, unless she's retired or already has a job, she shouldn't be concentrating on living near a beach. She should be looking at areas with the lowest unemployment and the best wages. Also, if I had a child, I'd be looking at the school system and asking about the best place to raise a teenager. The OP mentioned she noticed that Florida has a lot of snowbirds and an aging population. That should be a hint.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,852,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
But you could say you are out of town visiting relatives.

If you live in Florida, but you're out of town visiting relatives, why wouldn't your past employment show positions in Florida? A person can't lie about working for a doctor in the area. Don't you think a potential employer will check her employment history? Legally you need to get a driver's license in Florida if you live here. So why would she have an out-of-state license? It's best not to lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area