Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,006,456 times

Advertisements

I received my second jury service notice. I think the last time was about 5 years ago. I'm wondering how many people get repeat notice.
How many people are in the prospective pool of potential jurors?
Where do they get names? Drivers License? Voter registration?
Have you appeared more than once or at all?
Were you selcted for a jury or did you sit in the waiting room all day?
After you appear a first time, does your name go into another pool of 'the live ones' names?
I'm finding it odd that when I moved here 27 years ago, the county had only 120,000 people, but now there are 320,00 and I get called twice in 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:22 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,755,916 times
I live in Charlotte County. I was called last year. They put us on telephone standby for a week. You call in at night and they tell you if you have to report the next morning. I had to report on Tuesday. About 50 of us were called that day to make a jury pool. After checking in and receiving our instructions we sat around for about an hour until the judge came in and told us the witnesses didn't show for the start of the trial, so we were dismissed for the entire week. Once you report, you either get seated or get dismissed for the whole week.

My wife was called about 4 months later. She actually was seated for fraud/theft trial that lasted 3 days. She found it very interesting.

They draw the jurors off of the driver's license rolls because people used to not register to vote, just so they could avoid jury duty.

You can't be called by the same court more than once a year but you could be called by the Federal Court, the local municipal court, or the County Court. Twice in five years is not unusual for Sarasota County.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 AM

547 posts, read 921,271 times
I must have an juror tattoo visible only to attorneys on my forehead. I have served on three juries. A DUI manslaughter case, imminent domain and recently a medical malpractice trial that lasted 10 trial days.
I treated it with care & diligence imagining myself or a loved one as a plaintiff or defendant.
I believe they get info from the DMV. The jury of 8 for my last trial for medical malpractice, was selected from 3 panels of approximately 20 people each. Jury selection took all day.
There were approximately 200 prospective jurors the day I was selected. Bring a book or something to keep yourself occupied.
If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:39 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,453,351 times
I have been here 20 years and only got called once. I did however get selected for the jury. It was a double arson case, guy torched his car behind a Jiffy lube and caught the building on fire while he was at it. I learned a lot about the judicial system over that week, also learned that overly religious people should not be allowed to sit on the jury, or at least in this case. One woman on the jury could not get it through her head that the court does care what Jesus would do...... guilty.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,385,553 times
I have recived a summons 3 times in my life, so far I have called and my # has not come up.
I'm too darned figity to sit in a jury stand, dont think i'd like it much at all.
Perhaps if it was a capital murder trial or something...then maybe?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,453,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I have recived a summons 3 times in my life, so far I have called and my # has not come up.
I'm too darned figity to sit in a jury stand, dont think i'd like it much at all.
Perhaps if it was a capital murder trial or something...then maybe?
I found listening to evidence and testimony very interesting, it was deliberation that was painfull. Its hard to understand how people refuse to make decisions based on evidence and not how they feel from a humanitarian POV. Its a unique experience though.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,664,069 times
I've been here almost 4 years & got called for jury duty (Sarasota) late last year. First time in my life I've been called actually. I was in the first group questioned but didn't get picked. Was home by lunch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area