Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM

17 posts, read 53,351 times

Advertisements

Hey all..still researching the Sarastoa area for possible relocation from Boston down the road. What I'd like to know is are there any decent middle class areas that don't have HOA's. To be honest I'm not for or against them but comming from Mass they're not very common even in affluent area's unless one lives in a condo complex or something similar..and if we decided to buy a house I don't want any issues when it comes to leaving my car in my driveway or putting up a fence so our dog won't get loose..etc..etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,911,110 times
There are several communities. If you can give a size, age and price range I can narrow it down even more. Almost all of the newer gated communities are going to have some sort of HOA attached. Here are a few where there is either no HOA fees or it is optional:

Aqualane Estates, Avondale, Badger Heights, Bay view Acres, Cherokee Park, Harbor Acres, Hyde Park, McClellan Park, Oyster Bay Estates by downtown Sarasota.

Indian Beach, Sapphire Shores and Whitfield Estates by the Sarasota airport.

Coral Cove & Southpointe Shores in southern Sarasota

Desoto Lakes, Desoto Acres in northern Sarasota

Granada before the north Siesta bridge

Gulf Gate, probably one of the largest subdivisions in the area. Most areas have an optional annual HOA of $50.

Kensington Park

Lake Sarasota

Phillippi Gardens

Ridgewood Estates

Sarasota Springs

Many areas on Siesta and Lido keys

South Gate, this another larger community with homes built in the 1960's and 70's and an optional HOA

Old 03-27-2011, 11:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishperson View Post
.and if we decided to buy a house I don't want any issues when it comes to leaving my car in my driveway or putting up a fence so our dog won't get loose..etc..etc
How about when one neighbor puts his pickup truck on cinder blocks in his front yard for a year, and the other neighbor paints his house this color....?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 AM

809 posts, read 1,180,733 times
And that's what happened to me! I live in a very nice area and the neighbor across the street decided to renovate. That was 12-13 years ago. He had his home moved almost onto the street! Yes, he had it moved to put in a basement. Now, it is at least finally sided on 3 sides with 3 different types and colors of siding. You don't want to know how awful it looks. So, I would never buy in an area again that didn't have some type of HOA. But, some are not crazy strict. I don't want to know I can put a small shrub down or something like that.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
And that's what happened to me! I live in a very nice area and the neighbor across the street decided to renovate. That was 12-13 years ago. He had his home moved almost onto the street! Yes, he had it moved to put in a basement. Now, it is at least finally sided on 3 sides with 3 different types and colors of siding. You don't want to know how awful it looks. So, I would never buy in an area again that didn't have some type of HOA. But, some are not crazy strict. I don't want to know I can put a small shrub down or something like that.
I tend to agree with this. I'm, personally, not in favor of some of the super strict subs with HOA's but then on the other hand you have people who do things like mentioned above.

I think there are several areas where there is a happy medium. I mentioned some of them above.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:38 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,080,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I tend to agree with this. I'm, personally, not in favor of some of the super strict subs with HOA's but then on the other hand you have people who do things like mentioned above.

I think there are several areas where there is a happy medium. I mentioned some of them above.
So long as people don't leave their kayaks in their front yard!!

Old 03-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
So long as people don't leave their kayaks in their front yard!!
Nope mine are in the garage until I can figure out how to get my car and two huge kayaks in the garage. At least neither are up on jacks

Old 03-27-2011, 12:02 PM

17 posts, read 53,351 times
Thanks for the replies..I'm thinking like what SoFLGal said that somewhere with a happy medium is gonna work best..no I wouldn't want to spend 200k and live next to a S-Hole painted in funky colors or have to look at cars on blocks, however I also don't want to be told I can leave a car out over night or have a fence..grill..garden..etc...I'm sure will be reaching out when the time draws closer with more questions..thanks again

Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 PM

Gulf Gate and South Gate are pretty reasonable communities. Then the Phillippi area is nice as well. Many of the other areas are more pricey then the $200k range.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:30 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishperson View Post
Thanks for the replies..I'm thinking like what SoFLGal said that somewhere with a happy medium is gonna work best..no I wouldn't want to spend 200k and live next to a S-Hole painted in funky colors or have to look at cars on blocks, however I also don't want to be told I can leave a car out over night or have a fence..grill..garden..etc...I'm sure will be reaching out when the time draws closer with more questions..thanks again
You never know until you read the HOA's policy documents....my HOA doesn't allow fences, but you can park on your drive way. You can't let your dog run around off a leash, nor can you own a pitbull or other breeds that have been found to be dangerous. Every HOA is different - and to limit your search to HOA-less communities might be something you regret in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area