U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM

140 posts, read 371,097 times

Advertisements

What a wonderful place to have been raised ... you were a very lucky girl.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 PM

51 posts, read 94,452 times
WoW,great pictures,I can recall when Sarasota was just a sleepy little town,before the boom

Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 PM

288 posts, read 413,821 times
Somehow I missed this thread.

Thank you so much for sharing your memories, SoFlGal
I agree, you have many talents. I thoroughly enjoyed the pictures and comments!!

Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,400,954 times
Thanks everyone! I posted this thread quite a while ago but it has some really cool photos of the area!

Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Does anyone remember the Villa Goodrich hotel?...I remember it from my youth,also The Palmer Bank.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 AM

How do you post a pic on here?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,288 times
I was looking for old pictures of Sarasota and found this thread. I had a great aunt and uncle who owned a motel on the tamiami trail in the 50s, early 60s. We used to stay there yearly when I was quite young. Later they sold motel and moved to Nancy Street. My uncle worked for the Dixie Bee Laundry. Wish I could remember the name of the motel, but I think that it was similar to Buena Vista. It was made up of cottages. Had no pool. There is really not any family left from that era to ask about it. After 1962, when my brother was born, our trips were less often. 2 other children followed my brother and our trips were rare after that. Since the 90s I have been to Sarasota 4 times. Twice on day trips (when we stayed on Treasure Island) and 2 times vacation on Siesta Key. I love the area and love to find out more about its history.

A few things I remember: When I was a small child, we ate at the Golden Budha. I remember a trip to the Kapok Tree Inn. Was that in Clearwater? Also remember being taken to a Dairy Queen to see baby rattlers. I thought they were baby rattles, but they were rattle snakes in a covered box. We also drove somewhere out in the country to a dog track. Siesta Key was our beach of choice back then. Remember when I was a little older staying at the Gulf Sun on Siesta Key and in the 70s at a motel that had a mini golf on the roof. The Gulf Sun shared a pool with other motels. Think they were down near point of rocks. Anyone know the name of the mini golf hotel?

Several times I went with my grandma and stayed on Lido Beach. We stayed once at the 3 coins with her brother's family. Grandma usually stayed at the Azure tides. Her husband's favorite restaurant was The Oyster Bar. We ate there quite often. I remember on the trip with her brother, we ate a little fancier. We ate at the Bucineer Inn on Long Boat Key. Also at Columbis on St Armand's circle. I remember it being Italian. Also ate at a hot dog place on St Armands called Tale of the Pup I think. I remember a straw purse/hat place near there.

When I was little, remember shopping at a Department store that had myna birds.

Thanks for reading and if anyone has any knowledge of these places, please let me know.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:25 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,400,954 times
Pretty cool memories of the area! I grew up in the Sarasota area and remember many of the places you mentioned.

Rex Carr, a long time Sarasota, runs a Facebook page called "We grew up in SRQ in the 70's". It has some pretty interesting stuff on it that might interest you. You could probably post the above on the page and get a lot of comments.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,288 times
Sounds good. I will try there. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM

913 posts, read 2,209,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl1958 View Post

I remember a trip to the Kapok Tree Inn. Was that in Clearwater?
Yes, it was in Clearwater. I went there several times as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area