Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 PM

16 posts, read 19,872 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Im interested in leaving NH and moving to Sarasota area. Have been doing alot of research off and on for about 2 years. I am 27 single male. I would be able to transfer within my company (walgreens). I am not sure if a pay cut would be involved however. There is alot of pro's and con's obviously that I have tossed back and forth. Im just having trouble deciding if this is the place for me. Im a summer sports person (and yes i realize its hot and humid in FL in the summer). But outdoor activities is what I love. I have a dog, Olde English Bulldogge 5 yrs who loves the warm sun and some cool shade as well. Can anyone sell me on coming down there? Or give me reason not too? Yes unemployment, crime rate, housing etc...Like I said I have read the posts/threads by many of you as well have done my own research. I will be visiting for a week MAy 28th to get a better feel for this area of Florida. Clearwater was the furthest SW FL i had ever been before. Ft Lauderdale on the SE. Also I know my parents wouldnt be opposed to having a place to visit during vacations and potentially retiring in FL. (My dad has been trying to convince my mom for years, his dad has lived down here for 20 years or so) What do you all think? Im sure there is some advice out there either way. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:27 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,854,690 times
I would suggest renting first since you sound somewhat undecided. You might want to start out reading this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/saras...ce-thread.html It has a lot of good info about the area.

Since you mentioned having a dog that likes the outdoors I would recommend checking out these dog parks and dog friendly beaches:

Here are parks located in Sarasota County that allow pets. County Ordinance prohibits pets at any other park locations.
Beach Park
Bird Key Park - on John Ringling Causeway (on the way to St. Armand's Circle, just east of the bridge) is Sarasota's only beach allowing dogs and cats.
Brohard Park & Dog Beach - Venice-off leash is OK
Parks
Ken Thompson Park - 1700 Ken Thompson Parkway, on City Island by Mote Marine Laboratory
Bay Front Park - at U. S. 41 & Ringling in the Marina Jack area
Gillespie Park - 710 N. Osprey, Downtown at Gillespie and N. Osprey
Arlington Park - 2650 Waldemere Street (trail area only)
ALL ANIMALS MUST BE KEPT ON A LEASH IN THE ABOVE PARKS.
Paw Parks
17th Street Park - 4570 17th Street, on 17th Street east of Beneva Road, west of Honore Avenue
Woodmere Park - On Jacaranda Boulevard 2 blocks north of U. S. 41
Lakeview Park - Sarasota
Here's some more info on Brohard Park. It's probably the best dog beach around but not real close to either of the locations you listed.
Brohard Park
Brohard Park is located in the southern most part of the City of Venice, on the Venice Airport property on Harbor Drive.
If you enjoy fishing, there's a 740 foot fishing pier on the property for public use. The pier has rest rooms, a snack bar, and a bait shop.
Also located at the park is Sharky's Restaurant and the U.S. Coast Guard Training Center.
The wetland area is known for bird watching. There are no lifeguards on duty.
The Venice City Commission voted to allow dogs at South Brohard Park. There is a fenced area, a dune walkover, a drinking fountain and showers for dogs and fire hydrants and leash posts. A 300 foot section of beach behind the City's wastewater treatment plant is a dog beach for dogs and their owners. Dogs must be on leash or under voice control. Owners must clean up after their pets. South Brohard park is by far the best dog-friendly beach in Southwest Florida. The people are friendly and its a large beach area for dogs. Definitely worth the drive from Sarasota.
Bekham’s in Osprey has dog friendly dining out on the patio as well as The Salty Dog Grill.
A good Manatee county dog park is in Lakewood Ranch sub-division has a great dog park but it is little known. It is like a Florida State Park ! Get off I-75 at State Rd. 70, go east to Lakewood Ranch Blvd., turn right, go to the first stop light at Summerfield Parkway, go on Summerfield Parkway until it ends at Summerfield Lake, turn right and go into the parking lot. Stop and look at the park map next to the sidewalk going into the forest past the south side of Summerfield lake. Walk is about 1.4 miles. Check out Wolf Slough [creek] at the south end of the walk....you can see it from many spots along the east trail which parallels it. Also, across the bridge over Wolf Slough where the trail is a concrete sidewalk, you will find a DOG PARK.....a really good one. Go to the Lakewood Ranch city hall and buy a non-resident pass for the Dog Park !

Next would be meeting people your age. I would suggest going to The Beach Club or The Hub on Siesta. You might also want to check out www.meetup.com and see if you can find groups of people with similar interests. The Young Professionals Group is also another decent resource. Sarasota Florida - Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce - Young Professionals Group (http://www.sarasotachamber.com/ypg/Young-Professionals-Group.cfm - broken link)

Now if you're looking for reasons not to move here you can check out this blog I wrote:
http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog1...ldnt-want.html You should probably take a look at it and make sure you've considered everything on my list.

If you do end up renting. You might want to start with craigslist.org or stringermanagement.com. Even Coldwell Banker has some decent rentals on occasion. Make sure the owner is not in foreclosure. To do this go here: Sarasota Cnty Property Appraiser look under "property search" and then "real property". Type in the address of the home. Once you have the owners name(s) look them up on the clerk of the court website and make sure they don't have a lis pendens (pre foreclosure) on the property. SARASOTA : Clerk of Circuit Court & County Comptroller Look under "online services", then "official records" then scroll to the bottom of the page and do the "I agree" paragraph and then type the owners name in. This should help you avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Another helpful tool is Google Maps. You can pull up an address and then click on "street view" and literally "walk" down the street. It's pretty cool, especially when doing an initial check of a neighborhood.

Hope this helps and good luck with it

Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 PM

Thanks! Haha somehow I knew you would post all of that. I have read all of those things in your other posts or replies But thank you so much. I have looked into different activities that I enjoy as well dog parks and such and found that there is certainly plenty to do. I feel like it would be a great change of pace and lifestyle for me If i do. Just gotta bite the bullet sometimes!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhyde View Post
Thanks! Haha somehow I knew you would post all of that. I have read all of those things in your other posts or replies But thank you so much. I have looked into different activities that I enjoy as well dog parks and such and found that there is certainly plenty to do. I feel like it would be a great change of pace and lifestyle for me If i do. Just gotta bite the bullet sometimes!
When the same or similar questions are asked I usually give the same or similar answers. You say you have a dog--I mention the dog parks. You say you're unsure about the area--I suggest renting. If you've been reading the boards for a while you'll probably hear a lot of the same questions and answers frequently

I don't think anyone can really tell you if this area is right for you. I like outdoor activities as well. If you've been watching the board then you've probably also seen the posts of me and my family kayaking, sailing, going to the beach, etc.

What type of activities do you like?

Since you already have a job and can transfer I would assume that's really not much of an issue for you.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM

Ive recently gotten into Kiteboarding, I like to skimboard...Me and my dog actually will swim together sometimes! Most of my outdoor activities will include the water. Hikes with the dog are also a good activity for good excersize for both of us! As for the job my only concern is that there will be a big paycut. Salary.com has given me a good idea of what similar jobs pays on the relo calculator. I would definately rent and plan to make my rounds to some different areas when I am in the area at the end of May.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhyde View Post
Ive recently gotten into Kiteboarding, I like to skimboard...Me and my dog actually will swim together sometimes! Most of my outdoor activities will include the water. Hikes with the dog are also a good activity for good excersize for both of us! As for the job my only concern is that there will be a big paycut. Salary.com has given me a good idea of what similar jobs pays on the relo calculator. I would definately rent and plan to make my rounds to some different areas when I am in the area at the end of May.
Of course, you should check with your company before you make any moves. You might also want to have a back up plan if that doesn't work out.

Kiteboarding looks really Cool! I haven't done it yet but see people out at the beach kiteboarding. I think there are also several companies who offer kite boarding. Do you have your own stuff? Hey maybe you could be a kiteboard instructor. Just trying to think out of the box.

I know there are several newcomers to Florida who came down here, bought a few kayaks and they give tours out of various areas-South Lido, Siesta, etc.

I'm sure bringing your dog hiking or to the beach would attract a lot of chicks...just saying

Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM

Ya I have all my own stuff. I appreciate the outside of the box thinking. I know that with my company and the rapid growth they are constantly going through in Florida I would probably be secure. But i have thought out bartending or waiting. Im very personable and not afraid to approach people. Yea me and my dog could do some work down there on the beach

Old 03-30-2011, 01:17 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,366,357 times
Not to be Debbie Downer, but you did ask if anyone had any reasons for you NOT to move there. I would say (1) be prepared to be around tons of old people (i.e., I don't think Sarasota's the most swinging town for a 27-year-old), and (2) I can't imagine subjecting your English bulldog to outdoor activities in the heat/humidity of FL, which lasts a good part of the year (see below from ehow.com):
[LEFT]Sensitivity to Heat
  • The English bulldog is extremely sensitive to heat and should live in a climate-controlled environment. According to The Bulldog Ranch, bulldogs should "never be a yard dog" and heat "is a killer." When a bulldog is allowed outside to play, it should be carefully monitored so that it does not overheat. Bulldogs can easily suffer from heat stroke.

[/LEFT]

Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,366,357 times
SoFlGal, I did read your "reasons not to move here" blog after I posted. Excellent blog, and I agree that the weather should be the #1 consideration. Alligators and snakes are kind of silly, but I do know some people think they're everywhere in FL. However, as someone who's from a Northern city and has spent a good deal of time in the Bradenton/Sarasota area, I do think you left out a couple important considerations. The "heavy retiree population" is one. Yes, everyone knows or should know that FL is home to a disproportionate share of retirees and elderly folks; however, it's a little bit disconcerting when you actually experience it. Going into a restaurant where the clientele consists entirely of gray-haired white couples. Dealing with elderly drivers and all their foibles on the road. Going to the beach and seeing more old folks than young kids or chicks in bikinis. My second consideration is the crime. I've mentioned this before so I won't belabor the point, but the crime seems more rampant and spread-out, unlike Northern cities where crime is mostly contained to the run-down urban areas....and weird/bold, like the gang shooting on Coquina Beach on Easter a few years ago...or my Mom's financial advisor being accosted by a robber while her car was in the drive-through line at Wendy's. Generally, I'm on my guard 24/7 when I'm down there, always trying to think one step ahead of the crafty criminals. I don't particularly like that.

So my point being, a well-rounded blog should mention those things because they're quite a culture shock for folks coming down from the North.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:41 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,456,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Not to be Debbie Downer, but you did ask if anyone had any reasons for you NOT to move there. I would say (1) be prepared to be around tons of old people (i.e., I don't think Sarasota's the most swinging town for a 27-year-old), and (2) I can't imagine subjecting your English bulldog to outdoor activities in the heat/humidity of FL, which lasts a good part of the year (see below from ehow.com):
[LEFT]Sensitivity to Heat

• The English bulldog is extremely sensitive to heat and should live in a climate-controlled environment. According to The Bulldog Ranch, bulldogs should "never be a yard dog" and heat "is a killer." When a bulldog is allowed outside to play, it should be carefully monitored so that it does not overheat. Bulldogs can easily suffer from heat stroke.

[/LEFT]

I disagree with this entire post. Fisrt off, I am from NH also and moved to Florida 20 years ago when I was 21. If a young guy cant find things to do here, he is an idiot. From Sarasota you can hit the night life in Tampa with a 45 minute drive, no different then when I use to hang in Boston every other night. As far as the bulldog goes, he will be fine in the heat. NH is just as hot and humid in the summer as it is here. I grew up at Hampton beach at our beach house and our dogs did just fine. Only difference with heat here is that it lasts 9 months .

I dont know where in NH you are from but the crime here is very similar to Manchester, so is the night life. What I mean by that is there are good and bad areas, identify them and go elsewhere you will do just fine.

There are more beach babes here than you will ever find in NH and plenty of young people your age. Throw yourself out there and you will meet new people and have a great time doing it. Some times you just need to say F it and do it. If you come here and you dont like it, its not like NH wont let you come home.......

Good luck to you, and stop in and say hello to my family for me, sheesh I need to go home more than every 10 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area