Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM

462 posts, read 1,706,744 times

Advertisements

My border collie never had a flea or tick until we moved here. Frontline didn't work for her but Comfortis seems to be doing the trick. I've never found a tick on her though. She doesn't like the taste of them now so last time I gave her one of the chewables, she spit it out! Even hidden inside of cream cheese, butter etc. She's way too smart for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,295 times
Thumbs up Flea Meds in SW Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
I didn't want to post this in the pets section as this question is for SW Florida only. I need to know from dog owners if you have a flea problem. I have been told that Advantix and Frontline really do not work there. Is this true? We will be making our move in Mid May and will be going to the vet for our Golden's annual exam and want to get what "works" for fleas there. Comfortis, an oral flea med was recommended by someone but want to get the "poop" from you guys that actually live there.

Thanks for any input!
We have had NO luck with Frontline here in the last several years. Advantix seems to be working against fleas and ticks at the moment. Comfortis is not an option for us as our dog is epileptic.

As you probably know, its really about the environment, and making sure your yard is pest free. That's hard! When you are landscaping or maintaining your yard it stirs up the dirt and the ticks seem to be everywhere.

If you are in a condo, you probably won't have to worry as much about that.

Not sure what part of Florida you'll be in, but you can check out SarasotaDog.com for news and information local to us.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 12,233 times
Default Fleas and Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
I didn't want to post this in the pets section as this question is for SW Florida only. I need to know from dog owners if you have a flea problem. I have been told that Advantix and Frontline really do not work there. Is this true? We will be making our move in Mid May and will be going to the vet for our Golden's annual exam and want to get what "works" for fleas there. Comfortis, an oral flea med was recommended by someone but want to get the "poop" from you guys that actually live there.

Thanks for any input!
We have lived in Bradenton/Sarasota Area 11 yrs. No problem with fleas, but in last 7 months were bombarded with ticks. Don't know the source...groomer, neighbors dogs or walking in large park where there are many dogs. Tried everything and the vets, except fumigation, to no avail! Diane found an article on the internet about Diatomaceous Earth (food grade). We have no more ticks within 6-8 weeks. A great blessing. Diane & Bob

Old 07-22-2011, 11:54 AM

547 posts, read 926,238 times
We switched from Advantix / Frontline to a monthly pill we get from our vet. For us the pill seems to work better and last longer.In addition, the frontline etc, seemed to affect our small dog for the first few days after application.
In the past I have sprayed the yard, but so far so good this year.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:36 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,771,905 times
I use Comfortis, treat my yard yearly and have had no flea problems.

Last edited by Dollydo; 07-22-2011 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 PM

32 posts, read 57,096 times
Default heartworm

Many of the previously mentioned meds are also for heartworm, what do people use on their dogs for monthly heartworm protection ?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:49 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,347 times
We use Revolution for flea/heartworm prevention.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:50 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,675 times
We use Frontline for the flea protection and it is working fine and we use Heartguard for heartworm.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherearth7 View Post
We have lived in Bradenton/Sarasota Area 11 yrs. No problem with fleas, but in last 7 months were bombarded with ticks. Don't know the source...groomer, neighbors dogs or walking in large park where there are many dogs. Tried everything and the vets, except fumigation, to no avail! Diane found an article on the internet about Diatomaceous Earth (food grade). We have no more ticks within 6-8 weeks. A great blessing. Diane & Bob
Is this a food you give to them? I never heard of this. I am new here from the Pacific Northwest which is too cold for fleas & ticks. I'm using Revolution & it's a joke. I also live in a condo where everyone walks their dogs. I wonder if it's just something I need to deal with due to the heat.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:33 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihtzu baby View Post
Is this a food you give to them? I never heard of this. I am new here from the Pacific Northwest which is too cold for fleas & ticks. I'm using Revolution & it's a joke. I also live in a condo where everyone walks their dogs. I wonder if it's just something I need to deal with due to the heat.

Funny, we've used Revolution for 4 years & have had great results. I also have a Shih Tzu. We've never had ticks or fleas on him.
Seems like all these meds work differently on different dogs.

Last edited by PixiStix; 07-24-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area