Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:46 PM

6 posts, read 10,331 times

Advertisements

After an extensive search, I have decided to move to Sarasota with my 12 year old. I would really like to purchase a townhome with a yard to accomodate my large dog. Can anyone reccomend an area that is safe and in walking distance of a few shops? I have been looking at Shadybrook Village. I am looking at a dollar range of 30 -$50,000. The other requirement would be a nice pool. Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:01 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,829,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fortheroad View Post
After an extensive search, I have decided to move to Sarasota with my 12 year old. I would really like to purchase a townhome with a yard to accomodate my large dog. Can anyone reccomend an area that is safe and in walking distance of a few shops? I have been looking at Shadybrook Village. I am looking at a dollar range of 30 -$50,000. The other requirement would be a nice pool. Thanks..
In this price range your choices will be some what limited.

You'd have Beneva Ridge and Hidden Hollow for townhomes

If you could do a villa then you'd have Ramblewood Acres or Lake Tippecanoe

You could probably pick up a small home in Kensington Park, Sun Haven or Ridgewood Estates

For condos in that range you would have Hidden Lake Village, Pinewood Village, Shadybrook and Village Brooke and a few 55+ complexes.

I'm sure there are others but those are the areas I recall.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:11 PM

Thanks for responding. I have been following your responses and you seem very knowledgeable about Sarasota. What exactly is a Villa? Also, I am going to come to the area soon and see exactly what is available. ANy reasonable extended stay or reasonable/safe hotels. It would be purely a quick,fact-finding mission...

Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 PM

Villas are usually one story and generally attached by a common wall. Kind of like a duplex but larger.

LaQuinta is generally pretty reasonable and nice.

You might want to use this website for searching: www.MyFloridaHomesMLS.com It's the most up to date.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:30 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,679,402 times
townhomes and villas may have fencing requirements that might preclude a large dog.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM

4,568 posts, read 7,435,392 times
You really should take a cautious, careful look at Shadybrook. A lot of unit owners went into foreclosure and the units were bought by investors who have put in all types of tenants. I've noticed that the condition of the complex has been backsliding too over the past 2 years.

There are several definitions of a villa. The most common meaning in our area is a single-story, single family unit that is attached on one or both sides to another unit, that is part of a condominium community. With a villa you may have a lanai or courtyard attached to the villa for your personal use. The lawns are common elements and controlled by the condo association.

Most condo communities do not allow large dogs, although quite a few allow small or medium sized dogs.

As to neighborhoods mentioned here that have $50,000 homes, most of those are bank owned and are fixer uppers or need TLC. Maintenance has often been neglected for 2 years or more on these homes during the foreclosure process. Most need at minimum appliances and paint. Often fixtures are missing, ceiling fans ripped down, carpets destroyed, holes in walls. Sometimes the entire kitchen has been removed, including cabinets. The exterior air conditioning units are often missing, they get stolen. So that $50,000 home may cost you another $10,000 or more to make it habitable. Homes that you would consider "move in" condition in those neighborhoods typically start at about $60,000 to $65,000 for a 2 bedroom, 1 or 2 bath home of about 900 or so square feet living space.

If you are not familiar at all with the Sarasota area, I would recommend, since you have a large dog, that you consider finding a home to rent for now and not purchase until you learn the area and neighborhoods better. It will save you $$$ in the long run.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:12 PM

17,464 posts, read 38,864,396 times
I agree about Shadybrooke Village - that is down the road from me and it looks pretty run down, if it were me I would not buy there. It also is NOT walkable to anything nice - just a couple of really run-down small strip plazas.

There is an extended stay place near my house (north Trail) used to be the Suburban but now called Sarasota Suites. They have a kitchenette, all furnished and rent for $309 per week. It looks like a decent enough place, I may put my sister up there when she comes for vacation with her friend.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM

Thanks to everyone for their honesty and help. I do think it is best to rent first with our dog. She is not a restricted breed, just a 75 lb. shepherd mix. It 's just when you see the price of some of these townhomes, it seemed as if my money would be better put to use towards mortgage. But it is better to be safe than sorry.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 PM

Would renting be safer on the North or South SIde? And are there any areas that are outside of the city that would have a good Middle school,safety, and close enough to Sarasota? We could rent for awhile. It also seems as if the rental properties outside Sarasota are a little less.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 PM

Not sure what you mean by "outside Sarasota" do you mean outside the city of Sarasota? One of the highest rated middle schools is Sarasota Middle.

You can use this website to find which areas each school covers: School Directory, Sarasota County Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area