Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 PM

56 posts, read 236,473 times

Advertisements

I am thnking of installing thin pavers over my concrete lanai. Does anyone had any experience with this they care to share.

Respectfully submitted,
Catsupbottle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 05:02 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times
I am no paver expert, but I am pretty handy and mechanically inclined. I dont think thats going work. The pavers are generally placed on top of packed sand, then they are topped with sand to fill the gaps and hold the pavers in place. Any time I have seen it done, the concrete comes out and then fill is brought in to lay the pavers on.

If concrete is directly under the pavers, I would think the first good rain is going to pool under your pavers, as the concrete will provide no drainage. I just cant see how it will work.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:15 PM

169 posts, read 396,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I am no paver expert, but I am pretty handy and mechanically inclined. I dont think thats going work. The pavers are generally placed on top of packed sand, then they are topped with sand to fill the gaps and hold the pavers in place. Any time I have seen it done, the concrete comes out and then fill is brought in to lay the pavers on.

If concrete is directly under the pavers, I would think the first good rain is going to pool under your pavers, as the concrete will provide no drainage. I just cant see how it will work.

Agree and the pavers will always be covered in that white film (effloresence)because the pavers will never dry our if they are placed over concrete..

Old 04-01-2011, 05:44 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Actually, patio and pool companies do this all the time. They spread a thin layer of interlocking sand over the existing concrete and install the thin pavers over top. However, the outside border will need to be mortared so the pavers can't move around. I'm no expert on the subject, but it is fairly common.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:26 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
I have pavers over concrete and it's no problem at all. My lanai and front porch are this way. However, the pavers are called paver veneers...they're really not much different than installing an exterior tile over your lanai or porch. The pool deck also has pavers, but they are the thick ones that are set in sand.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
I would investigate "cool deck". It is a light concrete like topping that does not heat up like concrete and pavers. You should really check it out. Pavers and concrete will burn your feet when you walk on it.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I would investigate "cool deck". It is a light concrete like topping that does not heat up like concrete and pavers. You should really check it out. Pavers and concrete will burn your feet when you walk on it.
Cool deck or spray crete (synonymous), I'm sure there are other names as well. That's what we had our pool deck topped with (and the existing concrete). It's less expensive than pavers and we like the look. We'll have to re-coat it every 5 yrs or so, but it's very easy to do.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 AM

56 posts, read 236,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Cool deck or spray crete (synonymous), I'm sure there are other names as well. That's what we had our pool deck topped with (and the existing concrete). It's less expensive than pavers and we like the look. We'll have to re-coat it every 5 yrs or so, but it's very easy to do.
Do products like Cool Deck hide the cracks in the concrete?

Respectfully Submitted,
Catsupbottle

Old 04-02-2011, 04:28 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsupbottle View Post
Do products like Cool Deck hide the cracks in the concrete?

Respectfully Submitted,
Catsupbottle
The cracks in the concrete can happen for numerous reasons. All concrete will crack - it is normal and happens when it drys out - shrinks. That is why they design in construction joints and expansion joints to control the movement and where the cracking can occur. Concrete will also crack after placement because of heaving (when the ground freezes) which doesn't happen down here, and settling (when the soil below the concrete settles or moves. After it cracks, if moisture is allowed to get into the cracks it can cause additional settlement, and the cracks can continue to grow.

The answer - if they are minor shrinkage cracks and you get them early, you can spray the cool deck and it will seal them and prevent additional moisture penetration and additional settlement. If the cracks are large it probably won't totally seal the cracks and they will just open up again. But if they are fairly minor I would talk to the installer - it also depends on the preparation work and the thickness of the topping to see what they say.

I wouldn't make any guarantees, but I think I could look, and the installers should be able to look and give you a good recommendation and provide you a better assessment of what to expect. As long as they are not huge cracks - I would most likely go with the cool deck and take my chances - if they say so, and do a decent job with the preparation work.

I hope that brief explanation was helpful.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 AM

Cracks can be easily patched, then the cool deck or spray crete done over the patch. If more cracking occurs later on, just re-patch and blend more stain (concrete paint). You will ALWAYS get cracking with concrete, but it's easy to hide :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area