Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: that remark was removed

Isn't that a charming statement. I don't think your British either.

Because in every post where you mention England you make derogatory comments about the UK.

I have yet to meet a British person either in the UK or in the US who would talk like that, and certainly not to Americans.

You might also want to keep in mind that people outside of the US are reading these boards.

Sarasota took a hit with a murder of these two young British men and if other people from the UK come on CD and read comments like yours that may just be enough to make them pass on Sarasota for a vacation or even possibly buying a vacation home.

London is a beautiful city and the British people are the best. I was over there during 9/11 and they couldn't have been kinder to us Americans who were beyond shocked as to what was happening back home.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-29-2011 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
I am ENGLISh not British thank you -as many people can confirm. I made a comment about a town in Scotland -another country.

as for the UK I say it how it is-it has deteriorated in the past few years.
If 2001 was your last visit you would not believe how it has changed

if you read my posts carefully you would see i am defending sarastota and the US from stupid comments being made by one person....

and yes you are right the English would have been kind because they love the yanks..........

Old 04-29-2011, 08:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Why can't anybody explain why no go areas are tolerated?

my cynical point of view--
because every town has "undesireables" and undesireables have to have a place to live
usually areas where they live/congregate are considered "no go" zones by the majority of residents who also are likely the ones grading groups in "desireable/undesireable"

it is just class warfare

and remember that where there is money to be made by someone there can usually be justification to tolerate a gamut of undesireable activities/individuals

Old 04-29-2011, 08:46 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I am ENGLISh not British thank you -as many people can confirm. I made a comment about a town in Scotland -another country.

as for the UK I say it how it is-it has deteriorated in the past few years.
If 2001 was your last visit you would not believe how it has changed

if you read my posts carefully you would see i am defending sarastota and the US from stupid comments being made by one person....

and yes you are right the English would have been kind because they love the yanks..........

Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Sarasota and FL in general with the US dollar falling at an alarming rate is relying more and more on foreign tourists.

Keep in mind someone from the UK or anywhere in Europe for that matter could be reading these boards.

It was bad enough that victims were blamed by many for their own deaths.

It doesn't bode well to insult whole cities and countries.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-29-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 08:50 AM

err hello -thats why I am trying to support sarasota and defend it from these unfounded attacks from someone else. personally I find the US no more dangerous than anywhere else -providing you are sensible (and that applies to anywhere).

Old 04-30-2011, 06:30 AM

39 posts, read 52,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
err hello -thats why I am trying to support sarasota and defend it from these unfounded attacks from someone else. personally I find the US no more dangerous than anywhere else -providing you are sensible (and that applies to anywhere).
It's good to defend your new home but by running down the Uk you sound like all the old gin sodden, telegraph reading expats found in Spain.

Time to sweep the chips off your shoulders and move on.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:17 AM

441 posts, read 501,237 times
It is shameful that some posters try to blame the victims for crimes committed against them, making nasty insinuations about innocent people. This reminds me of misogynists who claim women who are raped "were asking for it". The crime rate is extremely high in Sarasota. This is horrifying. Though I was aware that the violent crime rates in Miami and Orlando were through the roof, prior to these murders I did not know that a small town like Sarasota was so afflicted. I don't suppose the two men who were murdered did either. This is really so tragic.

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 12:59 AM..

Old 04-30-2011, 09:35 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,507 times
Wow, I guess I'm done opening this thread.

Way to go, guys!

Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
I don't think it's a "blame the victim" mentality, as much as it's a "finding this to be an anomaly" thing. No one, including myself, wants to have Sarasota crowned as some crime-ridden, tourist-shooting ghetto where one can't even go to the iHop without getting murdered, which is the way it's being portrayed. Therefore, people are trying to figure out why the boys put themselves in harm's way in a location and at a time where nothing good could be happening. Some of the explanations (they were hungry and decided to walk 1.5 miles, they made a wrong turn yet kept going deeper and deeper into an obviously sketchy area) just don't compute, that's all. No one is saying horrific crimes don't take place in FL (e.g., the NorthPort kidnapping/slaying of a young mother, the shooting of a couple in their driveway during a burglary getaway), but sometimes you just wonder if the victims took unnecessary risks, and if so, WHY.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
It's good to defend your new home but by running down the Uk you sound like all the old gin sodden, telegraph reading expats found in Spain.

Time to sweep the chips off your shoulders and move on.
EXCUSE me ????? Gin ugh, i prefer to be soaked in a good red wine thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area