Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:54 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,023 times

Advertisements

Live and learn---coming up on our first FL year... The LBugs are splattered all over our windshield and grill and everyone is sold out of Bug Guts (?) or Bug-B-Gone, the spray and stuff you add to your windshield wiper fluid. So we wash the cars and wait for them to go away. At least they don't sting or bite. They are annoying but less bothersome than the NJ state bird (the mosquito).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 PM

275 posts, read 715,029 times
Yep, same pattern as when I lived in Southern Louisiana.

Yes, clean them off as soon as possible, as the acid in them will etch the paint and even pit the aluminum trim, well, on cars that still have polished grills anyway.

Tip for driving on the highway when they're in season: as much as I hate being held up by (big) trucks, find one of the "faster" moving ones and stay behind it until your exit comes up. You'll have waaay fewer bugs to clean off when you're staying behind "the shield."

I know they're ugly, but putting a black mesh screen across the front of your vehicle, except for the windshield, really does make short work of cleaning them off afterwards.

This is the voice (er, text) of experience.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:09 AM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
Yep, same pattern as when I lived in Southern Louisiana.

Yes, clean them off as soon as possible, as the acid in them will etch the paint and even pit the aluminum trim, well, on cars that still have polished grills anyway.

Tip for driving on the highway when they're in season: as much as I hate being held up by (big) trucks, find one of the "faster" moving ones and stay behind it until your exit comes up. You'll have waaay fewer bugs to clean off when you're staying behind "the shield."

I know they're ugly, but putting a black mesh screen across the front of your vehicle, except for the windshield, really does make short work of cleaning them off afterwards.

This is the voice (er, text) of experience.
I was about to come and post the samething. I drive Sarasota to Miami quite often and I just came back from a drive this Sat. Staying behind a truck or even a small trailer helped so much. They were no where to be found off Alligator Alley but the minute I passed the first Ft. Myers exit, they showed up in swarms. It would have been a lot worse had I not drove behind a trailer.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
The love bugs seem to be here early this year. Normally, they're here toward the end of May---like on Memorial Day weekend when we're out on the boat for 3 days straight! I think with the mild winter and warm spring, they arrived ahead of schedule.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:37 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
Glad they got there early, hopefully they will be gone before I arrive!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:22 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
I think the love bugs are everywhere. Can't get away from them this time of year. I drove around 2 hours today and had to wash my car when I got home. Couldn't stand looking at the mess. They even get in the car when you open the door to get in or out. And I am finding them in my home. They come in when you open the house door. Just something we have to live with until they are gone. I know why they are called love bugs, but I sure don't love them. On the news they said to put baby oil on your car and they wipe right off. Not sure if I want to do that to my car though. Worried it would ruin the finish. Anybody else try that?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:37 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
Up North we have the lovely stink bugs that ruin the crops and just LOVE coming in the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Love bugs at the beach?-stinkbug.jpg  

Old 05-02-2011, 03:55 PM

275 posts, read 715,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I was about to come and post the samething. I drive Sarasota to Miami quite often and I just came back from a drive this Sat. Staying behind a truck or even a small trailer helped so much. They were no where to be found off Alligator Alley but the minute I passed the first Ft. Myers exit, they showed up in swarms. It would have been a lot worse had I not drove behind a trailer.
Thanks for the endorsement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
Up North we have the lovely stink bugs that ruin the crops and just LOVE coming in the house.
Had those in Louisiana too. After smelling one, I just can't bring myself to eat a green Tumms tablet; they taste like what the stinkbug smells like!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:38 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
After smelling one, I just can't bring myself to eat a green Tumms tablet; they taste like what the stinkbug smells like!
Too funny! I can't eat maraschino cherries because they taste like what a palmetto bug smells like after being squashed.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:44 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,023 times
So, to those of you who have lived in this area for several years, what are we looking at with the love bugs? Is the "Love Bug" season temperature dependent? How long will it last? Are some Love Bug "seasons" longer than others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area