Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:51 AM

275 posts, read 715,230 times

Advertisements

I receive/ship cars all the time, and $500.00 for that distance is a good price.

Rather than rush into selling, my suggestion would be to keep the car until you get to Florida, then decide whether you want to keep or sell it.

That is, unless your move is going so smoothly that you don't have anything better to do with your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 AM

125 posts, read 197,189 times
Not sure really what to do, I might just ask around at work/neighborhood etc. It would be nice to have 2 cars when we get there and I was planning to stuff the trunk with framed pictures for the move
Randy, moving 1000 miles, 2 kids, 2 cats, full time job....it's going great

Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabella View Post
Not sure really what to do, I might just ask around at work/neighborhood etc. It would be nice to have 2 cars when we get there and I was planning to stuff the trunk with framed pictures for the move
Randy, moving 1000 miles, 2 kids, 2 cats, full time job....it's going great
Yes, I know, most of my posts have at least a little sarcasm in them

I am positive that you'll find two (2) cars very useful once you get (t)here; I'm sure that you and your significant other will have plenty of running around to do, getting settled in.

While my wife (Sue in Ohio) and I are certainly looking forward to living down there, we are not looking forward to the actual moving process either. No kids, but two (2) cats (neither of which can ride very far in a car without something coming out of them, somewhere...). I'm sure they'll have to be sedated (or we will, but somebody's taking something).

I have a garage and basement full of steel (cars & parts) that I'll have to move, and that's really the only part I'm dreading.

Oh, and the two (2) of us will have to get four (4) cars down there. I'm sure there'll be a couple of drive downs/fly backs involved, while the house is under construction.

Good luck with your decision, your moving process, and I hope that we're only several months behind you to do the same.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:23 PM

192 posts, read 470,911 times
Just a thought.... Do the math and make sure, even if you are going to keep the car, that it is worth driving the distance vs shipping. I found that driving to Sarasota from Colorado, once I paid for gas-motels-meals-oil change etc...., that I can ship the car and buy a plane ticket for me! 30 hrs of driving vs a 4 hr plane ride ( with free pretzels ), mine was a given.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Krh, I am definitely not planning to drive. I'm not the best driver and it's a tiny black car....I get near-miss side swipes regularly

Randy, I have checked into sedating the cats. They can have Benadryl or Dramamine, both I think 1mg/lb. I might do a trial run.
Have you checked out Uship.com for all your stuff? The bids for my car are coming daily, started at $1019 now down to $478.
Claire

Old 05-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabella View Post
Krh, I am definitely not planning to drive. I'm not the best driver and it's a tiny black car....I get near-miss side swipes regularly

Randy, I have checked into sedating the cats. They can have Benadryl or Dramamine, both I think 1mg/lb. I might do a trial run.
Have you checked out Uship.com for all your stuff? The bids for my car are coming daily, started at $1019 now down to $478.
Claire
A half hour ago, I took delivery of an ///M Rdstr shipped to me from Long Island. This car shared the ride with two (2) new Rolls Royces, and a new Maserati. The company was Reliable Transport, but their covered portal to portal service probably exceeded your high bid

It was a busy day for me; picked up a guy at the airport so he could drive his ///M Coupe back to North Dakota; my oldest brother stopped in for a visit on his trip from Florida to Michigan (he stayed about eight__8__minutes). A local guy dropped his Ferrari off (then I drove him back home in it, keeping the car to do some work on it) and finally, I picked up the car stated above.

Edit: the Dramaine sure works to put me asleep. Be good to keep their motionsickness in check too. I'd highly recommend doing the dry run, to see how well they cope; not something you want to find out on the road if they don't. I'd do it about now, so they'd have at least a week before the real test. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:43 AM

425 posts, read 1,104,956 times
Default can I make a sugestion?

ok im just gonna put this out there, you said your DH is driving you all down in a SUV, could you put a hitch on that and tow the honda with you? It might quite a bit cheaper that way
just sayin

Old 05-27-2011, 06:54 AM

That was my idea, put the cats in my car and tow it My husband doesn't want to tow...plan b, c, d...

Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
Yes, I know, most of my posts have at least a little sarcasm in them

I am positive that you'll find two (2) cars very useful once you get (t)here; I'm sure that you and your significant other will have plenty of running around to do, getting settled in.

While my wife (Sue in Ohio) and I are certainly looking forward to living down there, we are not looking forward to the actual moving process either. No kids, but two (2) cats (neither of which can ride very far in a car without something coming out of them, somewhere...). I'm sure they'll have to be sedated (or we will, but somebody's taking something).

I have a garage and basement full of steel (cars & parts) that I'll have to move, and that's really the only part I'm dreading.

Oh, and the two (2) of us will have to get four (4) cars down there. I'm sure there'll be a couple of drive downs/fly backs involved, while the house is under construction.

Good luck with your decision, your moving process, and I hope that we're only several months behind you to do the same.
Randy -I'll drive one for ya if you have something nice I quite fancy a road trip.................

Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 PM

151 posts, read 559,447 times
I have a 2008 Accord as well and we had it shipped last year when we moved from Washington state. I was still in a lease so we kept the vehicle, otherwise I might have sold it and bought down here. I think it's just personal choice, however my husband works for one of the larger dealerships and used cars seem to be a bit pricier down here than they are up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area