Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 AM

125 posts, read 197,134 times

Advertisements

I see the temperature graphs for Sarasota in the winter but having trouble translating it to my wardrobe!
I'm trying to get rid of stuff but attached to some coats, sweaters etc then think it might be ridiculous to move it all.

Long story short, what's the warmest/thickest/heaviest clothing I'll need for your coldest day in January?
TIA,
Claire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 AM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
that really depends on YOU lol I saw kids wearing winter coats to school and my kids never wore more than a fleece or hoody. If you are from Miami or Vermont you may have different ideas of what you would wear on a 45 degree day!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
People really can't answer that for you. It really depends on your comfort level. I'm in shorts and Tshirts by March, where others are still wearing jeans and sweaters.
My wife and I basically wear jeans and sweatshirts in Dec-Feb. Shorts the rest of the year! We each kept ONE jacket, and ONE heavier coat to wear if/when we visit the north during winter.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:06 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
We each have 1 heavy jacket (didn't have to wear it at all this year), a few light sweaters, and one heavier cardigan thing that I used most of the time. Your best bet is a lighter windbreaker-type jacket and lighter sweaters. You will boil if you wear wool. You only need to dress warmly in the morning and at night. The days still warm up into the 50-60's even on the coldest days.

My attire for most of the "winter" (december/ January) is pants or jeans, long sleeved tee, light sweater.

Get rid of all but your "top 10" very favorite winter things.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM

85 posts, read 191,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
We each have 1 heavy jacket (didn't have to wear it at all this year), a few light sweaters, and one heavier cardigan thing that I used most of the time. Your best bet is a lighter windbreaker-type jacket and lighter sweaters. You will boil if you wear wool. You only need to dress warmly in the morning and at night. The days still warm up into the 50-60's even on the coldest days.

My attire for most of the "winter" (december/ January) is pants or jeans, long sleeved tee, light sweater.

Get rid of all but your "top 10" very favorite winter things.
Now I know I have to get down there before winter

Old 05-26-2011, 02:39 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,427 times
I'm from NJ and used to nasty winters. The last two Decembers-Januarys the temp on many days was in the 40's and dropped at night to 30's. One night it even hit 28. I wore my ski jacket and gloves or a polar fleece and a turtleneck on those days to go walking. It was really funny to see these oldsters dragging out their gaudy Bill Cosby sweaters to go out to dinner. People were even wearing jeans and sweaters this past April when the temp was in the 80's. I'd definitely bring some selection for layering. I wasn't able to buy gloves for my DH in December when he needed them.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:30 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
There are very few days that you will need winter clothes, but it is best to keep some. I moved here from Syracuse, NY - tons of snow and cold. I kept my winter parka and have worn it a few times walking the dog in the early morning or evening. I also have a pair of gloves. I also kept some of my sweaters - about 5. So that I could have a weeks worth of sweaters if we had a long spell of cold. (Actually, I brought more of my clothes with me and after about 2 years when I rarely wore the winter clothes - I got rid of a lot of them.) I only kept my favorites. Most of the time in the cold weather I wear a blouse with a button up sweater over it so I can take the sweater off if the temp gets warmer during the day. As most people have replied, it really depends on your comfort level. I have found that since living in Florida even 60 degrees seems cold to me, not just cool. You get warm blooded down here.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:55 PM

151 posts, read 599,238 times
Keep your Favs , donate the rest and then later as you become more "winterized" here donate them to goodwill or Salvation Army. A wind breaker type jacket will work for most cooler times. IF: you plan on visiting back up north keep a coat for that purpose, but you may find they'll all want to come to you! LOL!!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 PM

33 posts, read 67,935 times
I am from northern Vermont and I graduated college in 2007 in Sarasota and am now making a permanent move back after several visits back and forth. Even though I am from VT sometimes in FL because of the humidity and being in and out of air conditioning (I hate air conditioning) it can be frikken CHILLY! It's mostly due to the moist air etc. So after MY experiences being in -40 degrees I would still still layer in the winter. Camisole, blouse, cardigan, jeans and a close shoe during the winter. At night I might even wear a fall like jacket with a light scarf but nothing wool. I prefer to be "toasty" rather than have an annoying chill

Old 05-29-2011, 09:16 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
You will still need some warm clothing, one warm coat or jacket, but mostly light jackets. Once you get acclimated to the area, you will need a warmer jacket, and light jackets more often because you will adjust to the warmer temperatures. So, don't rid yourself of your favorite warm jacket or two. But, you will need more shorts and blouses that will be great for most of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area