U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM

181 posts, read 402,042 times

Advertisements

I was told that my condo's a/c was leaking in the attic. I requested a technician to check it out. $75 for the first hour, then p/h there after.

After the initial service I received another email stating "just received another phone call from the a/c crew and he states that after he finished his service your unit was still blowing trepid air. He went outside and checked on the outside unit and found that the steel rod in your compressor is damaged and no longer working. They are going to honor a warranty on the old unit, however, the cost to fix and replace the refrigerant and todays charges are going to be around $925"

What I find strange is that the a/c was replaced just over a year ago.

Is there anyone with knowledge who can give an opinion on whether the above costs sounds in line with the work done as this is all Greek to me?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:58 PM

686 posts, read 1,414,473 times
I am not a professional A/c guy but I've never heard of a "steel rod" in a condensor/compressor assembly. Sounds like a left handed screwdriver or a bucket of steam. I could be wrong though. Maybe that's slang for something.
925 and it's under warranty? I would also question that! Hopefully a certified home a/c guy will answer soon.
Do you have your warranty papers from the initial install?

Oh, I suspect you are not there? This is a tough one without being present and only being able to believe what you're told. I know about this as I had something similiar (not a/c though).
Good luck!

Last edited by daFrogMan; 06-03-2011 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: forgot follow up

Old 06-03-2011, 02:38 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,189,488 times
I remember that Old Man Winter was in the biz at one time. Maybe you can send him a DM?

Old 06-03-2011, 02:58 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,690,751 times
Most new a/c units...compressor & blower are warrentied 1-5-10....which basically means 1 year no charge for anything...5 years on parts....and 10 years on motor and compressor...you should find out what type of unit you have and google the manufacturer...their warrenty should be posted on their web-site along with a phone number that you could call to find out the warrenty for your unit...they might also be able to tell you what rod might be in the compressor...

I can only assume you called the company that installed the unit...but I have to agree with some of the others...that the only rod in question is the one they are trying to insert into you...

Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 PM

6,860 posts, read 9,300,993 times
The old 'steel rod in the compressor is damaged' trick.
With some of the A/C repair companies, they would find something damaged, not working if you installed the A/C the day before you called them. It's like bringing a new car from the showroom with less than 100 miles on the odo to one of those 'we fix brakes for $99' places and they tell you that the car needs not only new brake pads but the pads were so worn that the rotors are damaged, you need new shocks and ball joints. And the car is so dangerous to drive that the repairs should be done by them immediately.
When you write 'leak' I'll assume you mean water. If that's the case, it means the water tray was over flowing because the drain pipe was plugged with algae. The fix to that is either run a water hose at the pipe to force out the blockage to the ground level or if the unit is in the attic, put a handful of bleach pills in the tray which will eventually disolve the algae.
Since your unit is only 1 year old, it has the new type refrigerant which is not expensive as compared to old R22. Placing pressure gauges on the compressor will indicate if a pound or two of refrigerant is needed. If the unit is leaking that much refrigerant in only 1 year, the installation was faulty.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:58 PM

181 posts, read 402,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Most new a/c units...compressor & blower are warrentied 1-5-10....which basically means 1 year no charge for anything...5 years on parts....and 10 years on motor and compressor...you should find out what type of unit you have and google the manufacturer...their warrenty should be posted on their web-site along with a phone number that you could call to find out the warrenty for your unit...they might also be able to tell you what rod might be in the compressor...

I can only assume you called the company that installed the unit...but I have to agree with some of the others...that the only rod in question is the one they are trying to insert into you...
I didn't call the company that installed it, as it was done by the seller when I bought the condo.

I asked the complex manager to recommend a company. She got Vince Tiscio A/C / Port Charlotte. I spoke to him on the phone, but the US accent on a phone line with background noise and a/c terminology confuses me.

Am I being screwed?

Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,690,751 times
Cool You Tell Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasboy View Post
I didn't call the company that installed it, as it was done by the seller when I bought the condo.

I asked the complex manager to recommend a company. She got Vince Tiscio A/C / Port Charlotte. I spoke to him on the phone, but the US accent on a phone line with background noise and a/c terminology confuses me.

Am I being screwed?
Before you do anything...you should contact the person/company that installed the unit...for I am sure it is under warrenty......the company you called should know that and a since a production date is printed on your unit...the company you called should of seen it and made you aware that the unit might be under warrenty.......why they did not is only a question they can answer...perhaps a call to the BBB or the county licensing department will shed some light on the matter...

I can tell you that there are numerous companies/people that prey on consumers......my god-mother's remote garage door opener suddenly stopped working after 10 years...she called some clown that the management company recommended......$265 later (in cash) and a new 9 volt battery the unit was working again......he claimed he was able to rewire the unit...hense saving her even more money...

Basically...the reason people recommend people is because they are really good and do a great job......or someone is lining their pockets with alittle extra cash......which one do you think you got...

Old 06-04-2011, 05:29 AM

52 posts, read 121,919 times
Amen, Rusty! I've had to deal with two A/C companies recently that both did really questionable things. Luckily I found two OTHER companies that pride themselves on pointing out ripoffs. So fun to deal with two problematic A/Cs in two counties simultaneously (not)! ALWAYS get personal referrals if at all possible.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:05 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,700,161 times
i have tri county. they are excellent. i had the blower motor fail. guy came at night checked it. part not on his truck so at 10:00 at night that was all he could do. i called the next morning and they said they did not have the part in stock. i was getting ready to go off on the guy and he said he would call back in a half hour. he did as promised and said they located the part in ft myers and there was already a driver on the way to get it. a couple hours later they were here installing the motor. they did the original install about 3 years ago and i have a maint/repair contract with them. i never get extended warranties but i did cause we were using this property as a rental. i think the warranty is about 150 a year. that includes cleaning and checking the unit. the tech is usually here 2 hours servicing the a/c. excellent people.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 AM

686 posts, read 1,414,473 times
By what I've seen there are many outstanding companies in the area. BUT, there are a lot of 'screw the yankee' places also. They don't realize word gets around. Lots of business' don't even use email. So I guess they think if they can get the most $ from you the first go round, the better.
I feel (have felt) your pain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area