U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2006, 09:13 AM

8 posts, read 40,278 times

Advertisements

Hi. We're looking to relocate from the Northeast to the Sarasota/Venice area for the winter/school year. We have two children and I'm wondering if anyone can give some input on these areas. We found a nice school for the kids (a montessori charter school). Anyone know of it?? Also, from what I've read, the gulf side is plaqued by a "red tide" condition which sounds kind of awful. Any input on that?? Does it really make most people sick?? Obviously, much of Florida's allure are the beautiful beach areas, but are the beaches even safe to go to?? Thanks for any info. Also, any input of the towns/cities of the West/Gulf side versus the East/Atlantic side?? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 10:17 AM

8,191 posts, read 26,323,602 times
I lived in North Port, one town south of Venice for 9 years. I just moved in December.

The area there is growing. Most of the time the beaches are just fine. Red Tide is an algae bloom. Some people are more bothered by it than others. When it drifts into the area it kills the fish and they wash onshore. That is when it gets bad. Most of the beaches are pretty quick to clean it up, but if the bloom is large, or does not drift away the dead fish come right back. If you don't live right on the beach it should not be an issue.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:05 PM

1,130 posts, read 931,973 times
Red tide is a pain in the you know what if you are a beach lover. We are in Punta Gorda along the harbor and use to go to Englewood Beach alot. With the red tide it makes going very unpleasant. Red Tide comes and goes though. Usually in the summer it is more prevalent. Besides, it't too hot in the summer to go to the beaches. The winter is usually very nice and red tide isn't around hardly at all.
When the red tide is bad, you end up with alot of dead fish all over the beach!
Yuk! We just stay away until it clears up. Like Evey said, if you don't live on the beach, you should be a.o.k.!

Old 09-01-2006, 02:50 PM

10 posts, read 22,411 times
sarasota is a very nice place to live i was born here 40 years ago i think you and your family will like it. the schols are very nice and the area is very safe and clean. we live about amile and a half from siesta key and dont smell the red tide and doesnt bother us . but we are selling our house looking to move in the carolinas to be near my older kids and change of season. but i think you will really like sarasota.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:00 PM

8 posts, read 40,278 times
Thanks everyone for your information. This website is such a great help!! Thanks again!!!

Old 09-02-2006, 10:36 PM

393 posts, read 1,523,950 times
Wink Sarasota

sazara, you will love living in Sarasota. It has everything any larger city has except not as much traffic and population size. As in any city, some schools are more desirable than others, as are some neighborhoods. Red tide is only noticable when on the beach, and it is only there once in awhile. You will have plenty more days of no red tide than days when it is an issue. This is a clean, safe, and progressive city, and I for one have enjoyed every single sunshiny day I have been here. Just planted green peppers in my garden today and will do the cucumber seeds tomorrow! Year round gardening. Heaven for me! Good luck to you, and welcome.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 15,003 times
Default Sarasota's great, but expensive

Venice is very nice. Low crime, but alot of old people. It's kind of boring there. I've lived in Sarasota all my life and have 3 kids in public schools. The best public schools are in the southern area of Sarasota, i.e. Ashton elementary, Lakeview elem., Sarasota Middle, Riverview High. Another popular area is Lakewood Ranch. It sits on the border of Sarasota County and Manatee County. It's a whole community within itself and very new. There is all kinds of shopping, good schools, beautiful area, but expensive and not too close to the beaches. It depends what you're looking for. As far as private or montessori schools I would recommend the Out of Door Academy(it's not really outdoors, just a very old name) or New Gate School.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,080 times
I'm looking to move south either Rock Hilll S. Carolina or Concord, N Carolina, any input on the area or the school system? I have two children 7 and 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area