U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM

844 posts, read 1,397,892 times

Advertisements

In my own personal instance I have never owed money on a bad debt - however I receive collection phone calls from bill collectors dialing the WRONG NUMBER. The worst kind is when they just put your phone number into one of those automated dialing machines that call your residence repeatedly. Often times I let my voice mail answer the call and the computer says "press 1 if this is not so and so" -well how is an answering machine supposed to press 1? And other times there is no way to contact a live person without having to go through a big hassle to get my number removed from their calling list. I called one collection agency (to tell them to remove my number) and a machine answered and instructed me to enter my account number. No other options to speak to a live person --just enter my account number FIRST in order to proceed! Freakin idiots! I have no account with you and no account number! Once they start calling (even if they have the wrong number) they won't stop until you take the bother to call them back and inform them they have the wrong number. It should be their responsibility to make sure they dial the correct number - but it's the innocent person being bothered that has to go through the hassle to call them back to inform them of such. If you just let all of their calls pass to voice mail it will continue for months and months until you notify them to stop. They are very lazy and don't take time to verify the numbers before they call. But they should realize that nowadays the phone company recycles telephone numbers over and over again. So if you are new to the area just cross your fingers that the phone company doesn't assign you a number that was previously used by a deadbeat. As harassing phone calls from collectors rise, so do lawsuits by borrowers | HeraldTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 AM

7,486 posts, read 19,948,349 times
Interesting you mention that Wondermint because we had the same thing happen to us. It was actually on my oldest daughters cell phone. Some bill collector kept calling and asking for Barbara. We kept telling them that they must have the wrong number and they kept insisting that we weren't telling the truth. It was awful, especially when she'd forget to turn her phone off in class and it would ring and I'd have to drive to school to collect her phone

Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 AM

15,215 posts, read 31,190,076 times
I have the same problem as well. These days I have voice mail and caller ID, and I just don't answer. They don't leave messages, and when I'm home and see the # pop up, I just click it right off. Problem solved.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:52 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,494,894 times
Register all your numbers on the "do not call" list and when they call, answer. When they ask for whoever they're calling for, you say "You have the wrong number, and this number is on the do not call list. What is your company name please?" And you will hear a quick "I'm sorry", then click. They don't ever call back either.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Old 06-13-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Register all your numbers on the "do not call" list and when they call, answer. When they ask for whoever they're calling for, you say "You have the wrong number, and this number is on the do not call list. What is your company name please?" And you will hear a quick "I'm sorry", then click. They don't ever call back either.

I did that with the company that was calling us and they continued to call. I asked several times for the name of the company and they wouldn't give the info. Every time they called it was from a different number and the caller ID didn't pick it up.

These are the companies who should be find but if you can't get info on them then how do you track them?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM

1,309 posts, read 3,006,374 times
once on the do not call list you can call the phone company if on a land line and check what time the income phone number to your number and the time and date of the call ..ask for there telephone security personal inside the phone company ..

once connected to them tell them what the problem is ..normaly i screen my calls if i not know the number i let it go to voice mail

Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,586,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post

Unfortunately that only covers sales calls. Collection agencies and political surveys can still call you.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:11 PM

30,165 posts, read 47,394,029 times
they can't if you tell them they have the wrong number/person
they have to show you PROOF of the claim and that YOU are the person who owes the debt--
if they can't do that and persist in calling that is harassment

problem is no one will do anything about it
some state/govt agency could be making a ton in fines off this violation because the fine per violation is like $500--think of how many wrong calls they make a day...

Old 06-14-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
they have to show you PROOF of the claim and that YOU are the person who owes the debt--

some state/govt agency could be making a ton in fines off this violation because the fine per violation is like $500--think of how many wrong calls they make a day...
Yeah, that was our problem. When they would call when my daughter was home I'd get on the phone and tell them they're calling a 16 year olds phone (at the time). They would say that they didn't care they wanted the debt taken care of. I would tell them over and over that they had the wrong number. There really should be something you could do about it.

My oldest gave her phone to my 6 year old and then she got a new number. After about 6 months of a 6 year old picking up the phone each time I guess they gave up. Funny thing is she really liked to to talk them...guess the feeling wasn't mutual

Old 06-14-2011, 06:19 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,586,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

I'm not saying that they have the right to call and harass you, just that the do not call list doesn't apply to them. Trust me, It annoys me as much as anyone when these call looking for someone that doesn't live here.

Luckily I use a VOIP phone system for our home number, and we can block calls. They only get through once!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area