Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times

Advertisements

Afew years ago, anyone looking to purchase property in Charlotte County had a great site to use, Charlotteareamls, it was open to any searchers, user friendly and was almost a copy of the RE Broker office form except for private info. The site offered just about any info you wanted to know about a property for sale. When it was announced that a few counties were forming a consortium, a lot of us looking for a home were concerned that the Charlotte site would be shut down leaving us with searching RE sites that were totally lacking in divulging much of any info.
Many of us concerned about the situation [and thanks to native Sarasotan and RE sales person SoFLgal] [and a btw- check out her great how Sarasota use to be photos] made suggestions as to how properties for sale should be presented and what information should be presented on a developed web site. Just about all suggestions were adopted to give a potential buyer info needed to view a property. The site turned out to be myfloridahomesmls.com as a map/ariel/ and in some areas, birds eye view with all kinds of search parameters. It has become so sucessful that there are now 15 RE Boards as members. I'm sure this site has saved thousands of hours from wasted phone calls, 'look see' vists and thousands of gallons of fuel.
But still there is the 'buyer beware'. Do your homework because many listing agents don't. Reseach. Ask questions. I see that there's alot of people wanting to know about fishing, and where is the best pizza and hot dogs but buying your dream home is the biggest outlay of money you will ever make. Don't believe 'The A/C was replaced last year'. Look at the compressor tag. Write down the manufacturer/model number/serial number. Go to their site to find out when the unit was made and for how long. You may be surprised to find out it was made 14 years ago and has only a seer of 8 [current code is 13 and 15-16 are available]
It's very frustrating when you go to visit a property that is being presented as 'block' construction and you tap the outside wall with your hand and hear the sound of stucco covered plywood.
One of the items we insisted that be included on the web page was CDD y/n so that buyers would know that there could be additional yearly costs involved. One thing they didn't include was 'flood zone y/n and letter assigned'. ASK. It could be another expensive yearly expenditure.
Looking at a home on a golf course? Research its status. Could be big problems ie Fox Fire, Sunrise, Forest Lakes, Sabal Trace.
Don't rely 100% on an inspector. They don't know everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 10:08 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Afew years ago, anyone looking to purchase property in Charlotte County had a great site to use, Charlotteareamls, it was open to any searchers, user friendly and was almost a copy of the RE Broker office form except for private info. The site offered just about any info you wanted to know about a property for sale. When it was announced that a few counties were forming a consortium, a lot of us looking for a home were concerned that the Charlotte site would be shut down leaving us with searching RE sites that were totally lacking in divulging much of any info.
Many of us concerned about the situation [and thanks to native Sarasotan and RE sales person SoFLgal] [and a btw- check out her great how Sarasota use to be photos] made suggestions as to how properties for sale should be presented and what information should be presented on a developed web site. Just about all suggestions were adopted to give a potential buyer info needed to view a property. The site turned out to be myfloridahomesmls.com as a map/ariel/ and in some areas, birds eye view with all kinds of search parameters. It has become so sucessful that there are now 15 RE Boards as members. I'm sure this site has saved thousands of hours from wasted phone calls, 'look see' vists and thousands of gallons of fuel.
But still there is the 'buyer beware'. Do your homework because many listing agents don't. Reseach. Ask questions. I see that there's alot of people wanting to know about fishing, and where is the best pizza and hot dogs but buying your dream home is the biggest outlay of money you will ever make. Don't believe 'The A/C was replaced last year'. Look at the compressor tag. Write down the manufacturer/model number/serial number. Go to their site to find out when the unit was made and for how long. You may be surprised to find out it was made 14 years ago and has only a seer of 8 [current code is 13 and 15-16 are available]
It's very frustrating when you go to visit a property that is being presented as 'block' construction and you tap the outside wall with your hand and hear the sound of stucco covered plywood.
One of the items we insisted that be included on the web page was CDD y/n so that buyers would know that there could be additional yearly costs involved. One thing they didn't include was 'flood zone y/n and letter assigned'. ASK. It could be another expensive yearly expenditure.
Looking at a home on a golf course? Research its status. Could be big problems ie Fox Fire, Sunrise, Forest Lakes, Sabal Trace.
Don't rely 100% on an inspector. They don't know everything.

I remember we both were frustrated with what they were doing when they decided to make the change. The changes have been pretty good. My point was that the better information, and the more they made available saved everyone a lot of money. It helped buyers to focus their searches to see what was available, what they wanted, and in a price range they could afford. It help real estate agents because they didn't have to waste a ton of time and money showing people houses that didn't really match what they wanted in the first place.

Initially when I was looking I sent listings to a "buyers agent" who was going to give me the "golden gloves treatment". You'd think that when you showed them all the information prices, layout, and specific requirements that were important, prioritized by desirable features - they could get close to what you wanted. After working with them for a month, and getting no where - the agent I changed to knew exactly what I wanted, kept searching after I had come and gone a couple times, and made a few substantial offers that fell through, and found the right home for us. We put a contract on it - sight unseen, with a right to inspect, came down - loved it, bought it, and moved in. It pays to have an agent that really knows what you want, knows the area, knows what you should pay, gives you solid advice, and helps with all the things out of state buyers need, including lenders, insurance companies, inspectors, pool care people, lawn care people - you name it! There are some great agents out there, and mine posts here all the time. She is , wish I could tell you - but the moderators surgically removed my tongue .

DM me and I'll be happy to offer my recommendations on things you need to consider if you want to move here. This site, and the posters here have saved me huge $$!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area